RF 63 and Denon 2809

Mark H

I have a pair of RF-63's connected to the Denon 2809. I'll be adding the RC-64, RSW-10d, and pair of CDT-5800-C's over the next couple of months, but for now this is a 2 channel set-up. I have a few simple questions.

Should the Denon be set to Large or Small speakers? Will this change when I add the sub?

What is the right speaker cable to use for this set-up? I don't want to go overboard, but want to make sure the cables are as good as they should be.

How does the 2809 handle RF-83's? I'm debating upgrading the 63's to 83 and trying to learn if I would have to upgrade the receiver as well.

Thanks a lot, love the forum,

Mark

Welcome. Being that you do not have the center,sub and surrounds yet, I would set the RF-63's to large. You would want the full band to be reproduced. I have the RSW-10d with my Rf-63s and have the fronts set to small and at 60hz and the LFE set at 80hz. I have tinkered with the settings for some time and feel now I have them set best to my ears. Let me tell you the little RSW-10d works great with the 63's. I love the combination. I can't speak from personal experience with a pair of 83's, but I think the 63's with the right setup(sub,center,surrounds,amp,pre-amp), would run a close second to the 83's. If it were me, I would use the money saved to use the 2809 as a pre-amp and purchase a 3-channel or 5-channel amp to power your speakers.

Here's a link to the best amp buy on the net:

http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

Bill

Cool. Thanks a lot for the advice. Can't wait to get the rest of the speakers. Especially that sub. I'm really anxious to see how that affects the 63's when listening to music.

I know there's been a lot said about speaker cable on the forum, but do you think standard Monster Cable suffices for a set-up like this?

Thanks again, I'm going to check out that amp.

I know there's been a lot said about speaker cable on the forum, but do you think standard Monster Cable suffices for a set-up like this?

I don't think you have to buy name brand cable to get good performance. My suggestion is to buy at minimum 14 gauge good insulated wire. Here is a link that might clear some things up about speaker wire:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm

Bill

• Moderators

I was fortunate to buy my cherry RSW-10d at Vanns for $499.79. They no longer carry the cherry RSW-10d anymore. Here is an even better deal than I got:

Wow, Vanns is offering insane cuts on the cherry finish. That's crazy. Why not sell what inventory you have at full price?

• Moderators

Maybe Klipsch is offering some sellers rebates to help liquidate the cherry ref series to make room to bring in more of the WF Icon series. Just a guess.

Good guess. That may be why several online vendors are selling it for the same price, $599