solid core conducters

Guest David H

Great posts, everyone.

If replacing your audio equipment's power cord makes a difference, just think what improvements can be made by ripping out drywall and replacing the wiring from your stereo's power receptacle to your home's breaker panel.

Don't stop there, you might as well replace that dark-sounding circuit breaker feeding your stereo gear with an audiophile-rated breaker. You know, the one with the zero-crossing detector and healing crystals.

That leaves getting the power company to replace that sound stage-narrowing aluminum wire with 99.9999999999% oxygen-free shielded copper cable from the pole-mounted transformer to your house. After all those tasks are complete, you'll lie awake at night wondering, "Is the output impedance of my coal-fired power generation station low enough?"

As someone posted earlier (to paraphrase), we know next to nothing about the Nature of Electricity...........

Lee

P.S. I have found that black painted clothes hangers offer less-wrinkling and creasing of the music than the unpainted hangers. Somehow, the soundstage appears to be hanging about 12 inches from the front wall and 65-68 inches above the floor. Sorry.

Lee, I think you are holding back, tell us how you really feel. BTW I love the post.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's all be honest 'hear'. What do you all use for cables? I make twisted pairs of solid core (1mm) high quality copper conductors highly cleaned in teflon (2 per channel) with Eichmann ends and soldered using Cardas quad. I use similar for speakers but 7 solid core conductors for each channel. I have also done the cat 5 thing with great results after removing the outer casing.

Thanks to those that have given us examples. Anybody else for a 'show and tell'? AND why use what you use? Me; becuase its cheap, it works better than anything I have ever used and because 'I did it'!

Cheers

to me, being honest, i don't think it has anything to do with actual wire. to me wire is wire is wire. i use a very high quality shield, and that i believe is the difference. i think the rest has little to no results.

i redid all my power cables because i wanted exact lengths and no coil ups. i can't stand wires that are too long and stowed somewhere behind something.

I installed expensive interconnects and it made my stereo sound better.

My car is also faster after a good wash and wax. [;)]

The power of suggestion is amazing. Anyone who's done a comparison and heard a difference - did you swap them yourslelf? I'd be interested in a double-blind test where you didn't know which was which and if you could still tell the difference.

So let's all be honest 'hear'. What do you all use for cables? I make twisted pairs of solid core (1mm) high quality copper conductors highly cleaned in teflon (2 per channel) with Eichmann ends and soldered using Cardas quad. I use similar for speakers but 7 solid core conductors for each channel. I have also done the cat 5 thing with great results after removing the outer casing.

Thanks to those that have given us examples. Anybody else for a 'show and tell'? AND why use what you use? Me; becuase its cheap, it works better than anything I have ever used and because 'I did it'!

Cheers

Here are some I made. They sounded great, but are a bit stiff and hard to work with.

Bob

post-9312-13819437484092_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested in a double-blind test where you didn't know which was which and if you could still tell the difference.

Let's say one was able to pass a double blind ABX...how bout a blind "walk in room" test, where the listener is completely unaware that their spouse swapped cables on them...and then identifying what changed solely by listening...and how bout identifying the physical properties of the cable (or a brand name). I can think of a whole heck of a lot of other things that would pass that test - and ironically many of those items aren't even considered by many of the crazy wire folk...

That's the ticket Bob. I see you have an old 55 in there with those coat hangers what 55 is your favourite?

Cheers

My favorite would be the two piece phase plug version of the K-55V built briefly in the early 80s.

Bob

So those of you who believe nothing is happening (as known science and current thinking is able to deomonstrate) what sort of cabes do you use...or are they just tinned coat hangers?

When I have the choice (which is rare), I'll use Belden 1307A, which is 2 conductor 16ga:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuPnr6I6Psi5aDwYqwkCTIM%252bcFV3GIVSUY%3d

Or Belden 1311A when I need 2 x 12ga:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuPnr6I6Psi5aDwYqwkCTIMiYi9%252b%252bndkQA%3d

Twisting the power cord has merit. However, I think computer power cables are already twisted as well as any cord to an AV receiver, so what's the point? The computer power cords I've cut were all twisted (I think) and so are those orange electrical cords in long lengths. I believe have even seen cords with foil shielding, but I could be wrong.

I think twisting helps keep the power cord's electro magnetic field from interfering with nearby speaker cables. In this manner the field from the black wire should cancel that of the white wire right? However, if you were really concerned, why not add foil shielding to the power cord and ground one end? The foil would not only keep outside signals from getting in, but also prevent the 60Hz E-M field from getting out (only matters if you have speaker wire really close to the power cable).

On a similar note, I think twisting speaker wire can also cancel E-M interferance assuming both wires receive the same intereferance. If there truly is an audible difference in the type of wire used, it can be measured electrically and proven through theory or it's not real and is all in the person's head. I don't buy into the whole physics can't explain it stuff. I haven't heard a difference in cables personally, but I think it's possible. Especially if the cable is purposely designed to sound different. You can change dielectrics and modify a cables capacitance and this will shift the cables frequency response. I'm not so sure if a person's ear is good enough to hear the shift in the freq response curve though, but I bet you can measure some difference in reactance accross brands and types of cable.

i am not using a shield that anyone on here can buy. i am using stuff that is for aircraft. this shielding to put into perspective is probably $10 (or more) a foot. this shield is used for highly sentisitive equipement. the way i built them is the "flavor 3" way on VHaudio.com. all my devices only use 2 conductors so the iec connector end the shield is butted up to the end, and the plug side, the shield is insterted into the ground pin. all my cables run to my furman, which it uses all 3 conductors, so all the interferience runs into then out of that device.

i should post pics of the shield so people can understand what i am using, it's also very heavy, about 5' weighs over a pound.