Help with banana plugs

Youthman

Looks like you should bring the bare wire into through the center of the lower section of the connector and fold the wire back around the lower threads evenly, then screw in the middle half and connect the top. I should say looks that way, give a try very carefully, good luck.

i own these. great plugs. you can go back to partsexpress and they have a pdf showing how to do it.

it's quite simple.

first screw the front of the plug to the middle part.

second strip about 1/8" of your speaker wire.

third insert the speaker wire into the bottom part of the plug.

forth bend the wires over the edge, try and make it even all the way around. you don't want the wire on the thread portion. it will make it very difficult to tighten the plug.

lastly, screw the top portion of the plug onto the bottom portion, and you are done.

• Moderators

Thanks guys. I had just went online and searched for "banana plug instructions" and found this diagram. I figured I would post it for other's benefit. The part that was confusing was how to get it screwed down if the wire was over the threads but then in the diagram, I saw that there is a small portion that is unthreaded that you bend it over.

post-27215-13819437303842_thumb.jpg

hey youth, there are some easier to use plugs at orange county speaker. they are here:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BS10&Category_Code=all_plugs

That's what I got. Really nice quality easy to use.

I bought mine here as well, really nice, very high quality.

I use their Safe-Connect style

new-banana-pair-400.jpg

I've found with these type of plugs that heavier gauge wire may give better results. First tried a temporary connection using 16 AWG lamp wire, hard to get a connection that would really stay tight. When I was ready to run new speaker wires I used Belden 12 AWG from Blue Jeans Cables, in bulk, twisted pairs with grey jacket. The heavier gauge, with an even distribution of the folded over wires around the end of the plug, have given good results. If I ever get around to putting shrink over the plugs it will give electrical isolation and may also provide another bit of resistance to loosening. So, wire gauge within the specs of the plug and even distribution are important.

That is an all metal plug. DANGER

Please put electrical tape or Heat shrink tubing over one of the connector bodies. If the pair of banana plugs flex slightly (if the wire is pulled sideways), they might come into contact and short the outputs of your amp or receiver. I did this on my GLS plugs of similar style.

Reading some further posts, it appears that GLS has already addressed this issue. They have set screws internally that clamp onto the wire and I think would be easier to use that the earlier models posted here.

• Moderators

That is an all metal plug. DANGER

Why do they make them like that if that is a hazard? Do I need to return them and get something else? I really do not want to put electrical tape on them, kinda defeats the purpose of having nice looking connections.

Youthman, with your power off try pushing your banana plugs together to see how easy they contact each other. If you can easily make them touch it would be a good idea to either use something else or do something to insulate them.

One idea you could do to insulate them that could still look good would be to slide fairly large sized rubber O-rings around them so the contact point would be made with the rubber O-rings.

The banana plugs I am using are all metal the black portion is metal, but there is also a rubber ring around the middle at the contact point so the metal won't touch together.

• Moderators

Youthman, with your power off try pushing your banana plugs together to see how easy they contact each other. If you can easily make them touch it would be a good idea to either use something else or do something to insulate them.

Good suggestion. There is no way they can touch connected to the RF-83's. They do flex when plugged into the receiver and has the "possibility" of touching. I guess no one will be looking at the rear of my receiver but me so I might ought to insulate them somehow. Thx for the heads up guys.