Geezer Rock

wpines

I told one of the twentysomething's at work that I was going to see a Crosby & Nash concert that night. She said "Who are they? Never heard of them". I said "They're part of Crosby Stills Nash and Young, you've heard of them haven't you" ? She thought for a moment and said "No, are they old?" I said " They were one of the supergroups in the seventies and early eighties." She said "Oh, Geezer Rock"

Today's rock could make Johnny One Note into a star---one guitar cord for 3 minutes---awful stuff. Today's rock singers hit every note but the right one. It goes well with the one cord thing. Perfect stuff for pre-puberic children.

JJK

This reminds me of the Star Trek episode where they show really Old people playing rock music...................

Who would have thought that would come true.......................

CSNY is still the Standard for Ballad singers and there wonderful harmonies...........

Enjoy!

My kids, 25 and 28 love all of my old classic rock stuff, and even pre-Beatles stuff, which they then call oldies.

But they love it all. When they were in high school they would bring their friends over and pour through my old vinyl. They would be POd if they found posters or other album inserts (remember all the great posters) cut out or damaged. oh well.. I was young once too.

The guitar jam on Southern Man on the album is fabulous.

I was lucky enough to catch CSN without the Y in Boston a couple years ago when Stills almost duplicated that, he was hot that night. I saw CSN&Y 6 months later and what I realized is when Neil is on the stage, he has a tendency to take over.. and then the other guys, espcially Steven, sit back a little and it detracts from the overall performance.

I love Neil, but the dynamic didn't work that night.

I've thought Rhino might have some remastered CSN, but no such luck.

The guitar jam on Southern Man on the album is fabulous.

I was lucky enough to catch CSN without the Y in Boston a couple years ago when Stills almost duplicated that, he was hot that night. I saw CSN&Y 6 months later and what I realized is when Neil is on the stage, he has a tendency to take over.. and then the other guys, espcially Steven, sit back a little and it detracts from the overall performance.

I love Neil, but the dynamic didn't work that night.

I've thought Rhino might have some remastered CSN, but no such luck.

I agree, I'd rather see Neil with Crazy Horse than with CSN any day.

Two regulars in my rotation, though they may not be the group's "best" efforts, are the CSN album, and Daylight Again. I saw them back in the early 90's when they were touring and playing "accoustic" - no back up band, just singing and guitar. Still sounded fabulous.

Guest David H

Reminds me of the Bruce Willis movie Live Free or Die Hard. There is a scene where Bruce Willis turn on the radio and CCR is playing, which wakes up his passenger who is stunned says what...what is this? Bruce replies Creedence you know Creedence Clearwater Revival....Classic rock. The passenger replies I know Creedence it's old rock, that doesn't make it classic. What sucked back then still sucks today. Nearly the best scene in the movie.

By my watch we are in store for some great new music in about 1 year or so.

The late 60's through the 70's had some of the best music ever. Don't need to list, we all know what it is.

Then the 80's. New technology. Synthesizers and drum machines. Everyone's music nose dived. The only bands that didn't use this were hair bands and wel, you know, Twisted Sister didn't cut it. I was a teenager in teh 80's and my friends teased me because I liked Led Zepplin and they said I needed to listen to something new like Ratt.

Then the 90's came, back to basics. Alternative was great. I didn't get into it until teh late 90's because I was damaged and thought that all new music sucked. Then I listened to it and loved it. They were sick of the goofy crap and got back to basics. Lasted about 10 years. Now we have had 10 years of crap again and are due for some great music.

I'm actually listening to John Mayer's live LA CD right now. Heavy old blues influence. This guy has talent, he needed to play with Bleed'in Gums (RIP Bleed'in Gums). I discovered him on a blues channel that I have on Pandora.

Just dug out my copy of CSN - Greatest Hits, CD. I didn't know but this is a HDCD/Rhino. It really doesn't sound that bad, I would rate it about a 7.5-8.0 on the Greene Scale, What I use for reference is the XRCD Luke and the Locomotives and it is great Another good one is Mighty Sam McClain.

When the twentysomething said "Geezer Rock" what immediately came to mind is Little Feat's "Old Folks Boogie".

Off our rockers, actin' crazy
With the right medication we won't be lazy
Doin' the old folks boogie
Down on the farm
Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm
Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms
Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn
And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Doin' the old folks boogie
And boogie we will