jc's tractrix bass bin

jwc

A while back I built a test straight bass horn. Shown here on the forum. I really loved the sound.

So I wanted to build (the best I can) a no compromise straight bass horn that would fit through a single door. Well to build a straight bass horn that will go down to 40Hz won't fit throught the door as you know. This horn shown here won't fit through the door completely assembled. The woofers and back chambered would be added after placed in the house. Now if you have double doors...no biggie. heavy booger....1" MDF sidewalls.

I wanted tractix....so I chose this design. I'm hoping to get about 80Hz-600Hz or further with K31's. This horn is "full space". In my corners I may go lower too.

You know I was messing with the idea of 8 lab 12's to match this thing as stereo subs. Not sure if gonna build or not.

If I have the time...will come up with a big midhorn to go on this bass horn. Not sure about that either.

Yes Bill...my wife booted a lot of my play with building and "big". She actually has been trying to sway away from horns in general.....tired of the looks. So these bass horns may never make it into my house. May test with K31's and some other woofers I have in mind. Then they may be off to my storage unit to join much other lonely big horns.

For the last month, I haven't even heard a horn. My LS II's haven't had any play since Seti was here 1 month ago. My K402's are face down on the floor waiting for the Dtels to come pick them up. The big black holes had to go. I could have put them in storage with my TAD 4002's...but that just wasn't right....somebody needed them....so unloaded.

jc

Wow jc!

Do you already have plans to modify them?Wink

Enjoy!

mike tn

I think her goal was to find something he WOULDN'T modify [:D]

JC, I can't believe it has only been a month. That was a great roadtrip and thanks again for everything. Those McIntosh speakers totally took me by surprise. At first I thought JC was some sort of Druid and they were just standing stones. [:|] I never thought a tall skinny speaker would impress me. They are really great. We listened to the La Scalla II's with the MC250's and they sounded great. Now I want a pair of those amps. Since I was already familiar with the LaScalas II's I asked if we could hear the McIntosh system which was a real treat. I've said it before but the La Scala II's are the most improved speaker in the Heritage line. Amazing.

Thanks Seti. It was nice to have you over.

I'm really not gonna give a formal review of these Mcintosh speakers here. I'm in love with them for sure.

No I'm not planning on a mod of these. My wife has been more in the basement listening to my stereo every since she bought them. I'm gonna bet they will stay here awhile.

The current record for a speaker that stayed in that location the longest was my late Cornscalas (not dbb's).

I will say, what I have said before....a updated MC250 is one of the best bargains out there. They sound very good on horns. I have one of them coming straight from a DAC w/o a preamp. My La Scala II's sound great....

I'll get some more photos of my big horn project once I get a chance to work on them again.

jc