Dynaco Tubes4HiFi VTA SP-6 Preamp build thread.

Guest David H

GotHover:

"Erik, No the sheild is only connected at the circuit board ground bus and is floated on the VC to reduce ground loop issues. The coax really isn't necessary, but the extra sheilding never hurts."

Sure, that makes sense. As I'm sure you already know, there are numerous approaches to grounding, and grounding in general can be perplexing: what works well in one circuit may not necessarily be as equally effective in another. There have been a couple of instances with preamps I've made in the past where a ground plane, surprisingly, turned out to be a better solution (in terms of noise rejection and ground loop potential) than using a ground buss and/or single-point star ground. Those were scratch built line-stages, though, so at the time I wasn't sure about what the best approach would ultimately be. With a little practiced experimentation, it's sometimes possible to also improve on what is called for in a schematic or kit instruction booklet.

I agree about the use of shielded cable. At line levels (as opposed to phono inputs), I've gotten away with unshielded cable many times in the past, particularly when tube filaments were heated with well-filtered DC and signal leads were routed away from power supply connections. However, where AC is used on filaments, and where input connections may have to be routed more closely to PSU components, a little shielding, even with line level signals, can be beneficial.

I was just curious, thanks for the explanation.

Erik

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Erick, thanks for sharing that info, I didn't realize there were so many ground configuration possibilities. I have always stuck with single point grounding, an have had good results.

Guest David H

A very sweet looking build! I'm getting ready to swap out my Curcio ST-70 board for one of Roy's It's gonna be fun.

Bruce

Good choice, I love my VTA 70. May I suggest going with the Auricap upgrade. You will love it.

Guest David H

Great new for those interested, Tubes4HiFi has a bunch of new DIY products.

The SP-8 preamp with regulated heater and B+.

New heavy duty torroidal transformer for DIY and Dynaco Pas upgrades.

Lastly VTA is offering a preamp linestage only no phono.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking piece, looks like i picked the right time to get started on a 2 channel system glad this forum is around to get people started in the path on audio. As i like to think to start with something like this to learn and enjoy, especially for the price. Can't wait to get started.

Guest David H

Duder, I think you will like this preamp, and Roy at Tubes4HiFi is great to deal with...

Have fun, and send me a pm if you need more info.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a pat-4 pre-amp off of ebay though the guy said it works great and which i am sure it does(havent got the chance to check it out yet) but i mainly got it for the chassy.. I cant wait until i start dumping some of those up grades in it. it might take me a couple of months but that gives me time to finish working on my amp for this bad boy, and save some bucks for some Cornwalls ide like to but in the system. Speaking of which if anyone recomends any certain Cornwalls as far as 1 or 2s go with any updates let me know that will be the next thing i do for this two channel set up.

nick

Guest David H

Nice choice, I always liked the idea of putting the upgrade in an original Dynaco chassis. You will also be able to really appreciate the improvement over the stock PAT-4.

As for Cornwalls either version works well, I am currently working with JWCullison on a pair of Tractrix midhorns for Cornwalls.

Cornwall upgrades will depend on the age, model and possible issues you may have with them.

There are some really good upgrades for older Cornwall 1's.

Guest David H

the PAT 4 is solid state....no tubes in it.

You couldn't be more right, but the chassis is perfect for the Tubes4HiFi SP-6 or SP-8 board and upgrade.

Here is a pic of the SP-6 installed in a Pat-4

post-24405-13819456015438_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

So 3 years later, I finally pulled the trigger on Roys sp6. Originally I was going to order the sp8 but it has been replaced with a line stage only kit. Yes Roy is wonderful to talk to and great customer service. I started off just ordering the sp 6 line stage board, but after talking to Roy he recommended a regulated power supply with a toroid transformer, plus he made me a offer I couldn't refuse. I will be starting my own build thread once I get some other things done.