Definitive book on large sound systems

hdavidspikes

Does anyone know of a definitive book on large p.a./sound systems? I've toyed with some pretty big systems over the years, but I've never really gotten into the details of how large concert venues are set up, the gear required, how the lines are run, etc...Basically, I'd like to read a "Roadies Guide To Setting Up Concerts", if it exists.

Anybody got any suggestions? A book, or perhaps a website? Any info would be appreciated. Also, would love to know if there are any websites with good photos of large sound system setups (speaker stacks, boards, amps, lighting, etc)

David

When you say "large", do you mean multiple line arrays, or just your typical large stack of speakers on the stage?

You might find this website interesting for a while:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/

Sound System Engineering by Don Davis kinda glosses over a lot of the engineering topics related to sound systems of all sizes:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-System-Engineering-Third-Davis/dp/0240808304/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232332924&sr=8-1

David and his crew also run an organzation called "Syn-Aud-Con" where they host many conferences to teach people how to do all aspects of sound system design:
http://www.synaudcon.com/website08/index.php
Membership isn't that expensive and they have a great collection of articles on their website for their members.

What kind of information are you looking for? Just casual reading, or more involved learn how to do it because you want to do it kind of reading?

The JBL Sound System Design Manual, free on the JBL site, is a good way to start.

Live Sound Reinforcement, by Scott Hunter Stark, from Mix Books. Covers everything from basic theory, hooking it up, to running live sound.

Yorkville has numerous free downloads available on its website concerning equipment and running live sound.

EAW on its site has Touring Manuals for their large concert systems which show various setups and tunings.

This is a valid website..............

http://roadiejobs.ning.com/

OR

Concert Sound and Lighting Systems (Paperback)

by John Vasey (Author)

"The need for touring concert sound and lighting systems has increased with the demand for concert tickets..." (more)

Key Phrases: amplifier racks, monitor engineer, house console, Courtesy Yamaha Music, Courtesy of Sean Hackett, United States (more...)

Thanks to one and all for your responses....I'm about half-way through the new Floyd Toole "Sound Reproduction" book, so the material, websites, and books recommended by all of you will make for some great additional reading.

I just hope my hearing holds up for a few more years (I'm 58, now) so I can kick back and enjoy my industrial La Scalas and Heresey speakers in my "rocking chair" days/daze!

EV had a series of papers called the PA Bible a few years back. I have a copy of them, don't know if anyone ever made a proper book of them or if they're available on the EV web site but worth a try. They were very interesting.

I'd be interested in reading more about digital delays and interesting vocal effects if anyone stumbles across anything in this area.

Unfortunately, I've got this thing called "work" that prevents me from devoting the time I'd like to blast through Toole's book quickly...and the chores around the house seem to suck the time right outta my life, too. I hope to get through this book and the other great technical papers suggested by those on this Forum in the coming weeks.

Geez, I wish I'd paid more attention in physics and math classes! Would have made understanding what I'm reading so much easier....Perhaps in my next life I'll return with a bit more brain power and focus on the things I love, instead of this "work" gig!

Thanks,

David