Effects of magnet size

damonrpayne

Someone asked me a question I wasn't comfortable even guessing on. Here goes:

I have a 1-woofer speaker. All other things equal, if I were to put a much stronger magnet in there, what would the noticable effects be?

* Would the speaker be more "dynamic" (can move woofer in & out faster?)

* Would it draw more current?

* Would its effciency change?

Inquiring minds want to know.

A speaker operates because of opposing magnetic forces - the movable electromagnet formed by the wires wound around the voice coil opposed by the fixed magnet's field. Increasing either increases force, although adding wire to the voice coil increases weight, inductance and resistance and increasing the fixed magnet's strength has no such penalty.

If the steel comprising a regular ferrite magnet structure is already saturated, adding more magnet volume or another slug will do nothing for increasing Bl. Adding another magnet slug will increase the mechanical travel if the spider, surround and frame are up to it. Usually in long stroke woofers, added mechanical clearance is beneficial.

The grade and type of magnet will determine how strong the gauss in the gap is. IE: you could have a large weak magnet or a small strong magnet ( neodymium ) The width of the gap will also determine how strong the field is. A short stroke woofer can get by with a short coil and tight gap ( no rocking ) and have a higher Bl than a large gapped woofer with a long coil.

The magnet experiments I've done with tweeters lead me to believe that in tweeters, it would get louder and have a wider frequency response.

Did not work out that way for me. I had really high hopes for this monster magnet tweeter we built, but still could not get above 17 khz.

Bob

post-9312-13819437458282_thumb.jpg

"Did not work out that way for me. I had really high hopes for this
monster magnet tweeter we built, but still could not get above 17 khz. "

Thats a shame...it would be an interesting product offering.

To quote a famous line, "Think you used enough magnet there Butch, I mean Bob"???!!!!??? That think is huge. I bet it front mounted easily???? My first set of barbells didn't weigh that much. How did it sound otherwise????

It sounded like a K-77M and like our smaller magnet model shown here. Not good enough for me, so we went back to the drawing board.

Bob

post-9312-13819437483182_thumb.jpg