Blues cds- seeking suggestions

winchester21

+ 1 on the black Keys- reminds me of some of the honky tonk blues bands which I used to listen to throughout the deep south and Beale Street. Lots of Black Crowes influence. Avoid Moan. Sound like 2 drunks mixed the sound in a 55 gallon drum.Chulahoma kicks ***. Amizon will group 3 of their CDs for a deal. Thanks for the tip.

Already got lots of Robert J. I love all of the blues acoustic- electric -or otherwise. The book that comes with the box set is worth the price of the CD.

Which Hamilton Loomis do you recomend?? Lots of stuff to choose from??

Same question about Junior Wells- Anxious to try both.

Thanks again- Chris

I've got a few hundred blues CDs and if I were to make recommendations for well-recorded albums, I would recommend the below.

Muddy Waters - Folks Singer (best all-time blues album)

Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues

Junior Wells - Come On In This House

Otis Spann - Good Morning Mr. Blues (Analogue Productions label)

Hellhound On My Trail - The Songs of Robert Johnson (R.J. covers by famous blues artists...very well recorded)

The Blue Rider Trio - Early Morning Blues (excellent 2-CD harmonica blues recorded by Mapleshade records)

Bad Influence - Live at Bad Habits Cafe (excellent blues cover band recorded on Mapleshade/Wildchild Records label)

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - 10 Days Out (recordings of little-known delta blues artists with KWS accompanying...excellent recording/music)

This should keep you busy for awhile. If you explore these and want more suggestions, let me know.

~Gary

• 3 weeks later...

I like early delta style blues like Robert Johnson

Ian, have you heard Clapton's dvd "Sessions for Robert Johnson"? If you like him it's very good.

I saw that on ovation once. I'm not a big Clapton fan but he did a great job on the songs. The early brittish rockers loved the delta blues. Jagger does a great RJ cover in the movie Performance.