Single Cornwall laid sideways vs Heresy for center duty?

D-bucket

How would a single regular cornwall (not a vertical cornwall) laid on its side in a horizontal position compare to a single heresy in upright position as a center between 2 cornwalls for the front LCR trio in a contemplated all heritage ht setting? What are the pro and cons of using a cornwall sideways in this manner?

TIA

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

The goal of speaker selection for the front three, L/C/R, is perfect timbre match. The only way to achieve perfect timbre match is to use three identical speakers. Any other combo is a lesser compromise.

The center channel will be the focal point for vocals in a HT setting. The voiced speech of a typical adult male will have a fundamental frequency of from 85 to 155 Hz, and that of a typical adult female from 165 to 255 Hz[1][2]. Thus, the woofer will deliver the vast majority of the vocal range in center channel application. The Cornwall woofer will cover frequencies up to 600Hz (and a bit beyond), the entire fundamental adult frequency range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_frequency

I would, therefore, prefer a Cornwall, even if turned on its side, over a Heresy for center channel. The Heresy would be my second choice. The Academy last. This is based on personal experience with an all-Cornwall theater setup, including experimenting with Heresy and Academy.

Good luck in your quest . . .

(Oops, I am Bob, I was using TIA = thanks in advance)

Thanks for your observations and suggestions. The cornwalls in a 2 channel setting have made such an impression on me that I am leaning toward trying to capture that same audio magic in a ht setting. I have heard a pair of heresy many years ago in a 2 channel stereo rig in a small room before the arrival of ht on the scene. I have had different mixtures of klipsch speakers from the kg series, klf series and rf series along with some other brand of speakers in the home theater and most of them sounded pretty good to me. I guess I am just intrigued about the possibility of building a timbre-matched ht system around cornwalls up front.

I'll try to keep a lookout for a while for a verticle cornwall, but they don't seem to show up too often even in pairs much less as a single speaker. If nothing turns up, I may just get a pair of heresy and use one for the center until I can find a single cornwall (either vertical or regular), which is my goal.

Bob

Hi Bob,

(Edited first post [;)])

Where do you live? We may be able to assist in the process of Cornwall locating. Verticals are quite rare. A single on its side will work just fine.

While a Heresy will certainly work, the Cornwall (portrait or landscape) really did sound quite good in my earlier All-Cornwall HT. I used the Cornwall on its side for a stand for the LCD TV. Either way, you have chosen well in your speaker selection!!

... I would, therefore, prefer a Cornwall, even if turned on its side, over a Heresy for center channel. The Heresy would be my second choice. The Academy last. This is based on personal experience with an all-Cornwall theater setup, including experimenting with Heresy and Academy ...

Thanks for the emphasing the importance of timbre matching of the front lcr trio for optimal results and the role that the woofer of the center channel speaker plays in reproducing the majority of the vocal range (I'm assuming that this will result in clearer dialog in movies). I appreciate you sharing your personal preference of a center based on actual experience with the cornwalls in ht.

It is very good to know that a regular cornwall used on its side is still a workable option. I am near metro Atlanta, GA

I don't know what the old Cornwalls are like but I run 2 x Cornwall IIIs for L+R and three Heresy IIIs for center and surrounds.

I can't tell the difference between the Heresy III and the Cornwall III when sound pans from L to R across the center channel. Perfect timbre match to my ear.

but what might be the difference for you two is your Cornwall IIIs have the same midhorn as the Heresy IIIs so you are close...the Heresy and the Cornwall (both original and IIs) have different mid horns...I tried the Heresy on its side in my all Heresy Home Theater and preferred it upright...of course then there are the size issues...it wasn't a great problem but I believe the horn dispersal was a narrower field (please excuse my attempts to act like Mr. Scientist when I am not) on its side than upright...good luck,
Bill