DVD or Blu Ray ??

trashyrich1157

first off, do you have a 720p, 1080i, or 1080p tv? if so, blu-ray may be right for you. i personally chose to buy a used HD-A3 for $50 until blu-ray either gets cheaper or stops updating and outdating their models. i am now looking at getting Oppo's blu-ray when it comes out. i think i may be an awesome player. my very first choice was pioneer's eleite blu-ray player, but like it said, it's already outdated.

if you don't have the money for a blu-ray player, and you do have a HD tv then i would at least suggest a upscaling dvd player. i personally can't tell the difference between a standard dvd upscaled and a hd-dvd on my tv. that is also another reason i bought the HD-A3 everyone said it was the best upscaling player out there (Oppo got just as many votes, but i couldn't find one at the time).

so in the end it matters how much $$$$$ you want to spend and what you have now.

The price gap between a good dvd player and an entry level blu ray player is almost non existent today. You will get much better video and sound quality with a blu ray player and even if you can't upgrade to newer options you are still way ahead compare to a standard DVD.

I think the PS3 is still the best choice, you get an media center, a computer, a blu ray player and a game console for $399. It has no limitations for software upgrade which is one of reason it was one of the first player to be able to do HD Dobly digital and HD DTS decoding as well as 2.0 blu ray.

Push the $ as far as you can go and get the biggest screen you can fit or scrounge the $ up for, you will be glad you did. As to the BR, YEP that is the way to go and for sure the best low $ way is the PS3, I have one for BR and it is awesome, even on our 119" screen in the HT. It will be the Super Bowl again at my house for everyone I know who cares about the game. The HT room has a 7.1 audio system with a 119" FP while the second TV in the family room is a 5.1 audio system with a 50" RP. We get about 20 people over for the game and a good time is had by all.

Since DVD is DVD and Blu-Ray is DVD + Blu-Ray I think its a no-brainer. Blu-Ray players in general do an awesome job at upscaling standard DVDs. Get a PS3 and you'll have a Blu-Ray player, DVD player, CD player, music server and video game player all in one.

• Moderators

Technically you can go too big of a display. I don't know about you but the front row of a movie theater is not my desired location. I feel like I'm at a tennis match trying to watch all the action on the screen. You probably will not have to worry about a 42 or 50 inch display at 6 feet. But just wanted to say that sometimes too much (or too big) of a good thing is not a good thing.

I have a 42 inch and watch at 14 feet and it is fine. BUT, I wish I had a 50 or a 60 incher.

My wife would shoot me if I brought home a 60! But watching the Red-Sox in Hi-def on a a 42 or up.. is just too cool!

I haven't gone Blu-Ray yet, but it's a short matter of time.

We watch our 50 inch set at about 10 feet and it is OK but larger would be much better. We watch our 119" FPHT at about 15 feet and it is great. Our normal placement in a theater is 1/3 back from the screen or the front row of the back section of the theater. At this distance the view fills the vision but is not so large that you need to look side to side to follow the action. That said, our 50" set at 5 feet is very watchable but slightly uncomfortable. YMMV!