ALK crossovers vs Bob Crites X-overs Any one heard them both

Normo

I have'nt done a shoot out.....but just want to point out that there are different versions of crossovers offered by both you cite for the lascala's.

On Bob's end he has the AL-3 and AA (maybe others) and AL has the universal as well as at least 2 versions of the ES networks that work with the LaScala.

There are different models from both as speakerfritz alluded to, but the basic comparisons would be between the AA/A from Bob Crites and the Universal networks from ALK. The ALK is considerably more money, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison from a cost point of view. The ALK has the option of attenuating the mid driver, which I find handy. The Crites AA/A can be switched between the two; AA and A networks, of which I prefer the A on La Scalas (something very revealing with that simple network).

Try them both and keep the ones you like best!

I have tried them both and like them both, but I'm not going to say which ones I like best because I don't want to discourage anyone from trying either one.

Trying to be diplomatic on inauguration day. [;)]

Greg

To fully understand the approach ALK took with his designs you might consider reading up on his website. He offers good information on his design goals/approach and intended applications.

I have used many of his designs and found all to have a specific purpose and to perform with excellence IMHO. You hardly ever see ALK networks for sale because most keep them.

I have also had BEC rebuild several sets of networks for me returning them to original Klipsch factory specs. Very fast service and quality results every time. I am not aware if BEC offers his own custom desgned network circuits. I thought BECs specialty was rebuilding and/or offering new versions of original Klipsch factory networks, but with upgraded parts.

In Khorns and LaScalas I've used Crites type A crossover and ALK Universal Type A crossover in Khorns and LaScalas. My preference was the Crites Type A. Of course, that is a vintage stock Klipsch design.

The best my Khorns ever sounded was a configuration using a CT125 tweeter and the Type A crossed at 4500hz.

I do not have experience with Alks. But I do have experience with the Bob Crites A/AA as well as Deans Super AA’s, which I believe is based on an Al K design. As has been said the Dean G Super AA's were more expensive than the stock Crites A/AA's. I will say emphatically that either one will be the best upgrade for the money that you can find.

Josh

It also depends on your application. I've had homemade A's, stock AA's, and ALK's. I'm a low power guy, and the A's are my favorites. If you mostly do your listening at high levels/ high power, I'd go for the Alk's. If you're handy with an iron, you can build your own ALK'susing Al's kit. Parts are good quality, and the kit is reasonably priced.

It also depends on your application. I've had homemade A's, stock AA's, and ALK's. I'm a low power guy, and the A's are my favorites. If you mostly do your listening at high levels/ high power, I'd go for the Alk's.

Agree on that and with Dee's recommendation ref the 125's. I usually don't listen at really loud volumes and the A with the CT-125's just seem to sound the way I want in K-horns, LS's and Belles.

For the new poster this can be very confusing I'm sure. The above post is a good guideline. The appication will determine which would be the best option. Certainly a good / smart cost effective starting point would be to simply recap the original networks if they are old (20 years or more). BEC can help with that. That will get you close to the original factory sound once again, and able to fully enjoy the speakers. The ALK networks are upgrade networks and can be added later once you learn a little more about all this.

I purchased a pair of 1983 La Scala's late last year which had the original Klipsch AL crossovers. Rather than recap them (because of their age), I ordered an ALK kit from Al. The sound is so much clearer from the mid-range horns now. I've not heard the Crites crossovers. I'm quite pleased.