Horns in the car? Yes,..look

Mr.Whitney

As an avid Klipsch fan, and new forum user, it just dawned on me that some of you may be interested in this. It may not belong in this string, but as a horn lover, I find it relevent. I've had Klipsch speakers for 3 decades and always wanted to put them in a vehicle somehow. I've had this setup in the truck (not car) for a few years, but like I said, I'm a new forum user, so it's just now getting posted.

Installed in my F350 is 2 USD waveguides (under dash), along with 2 6 1/2" USD midbass drivers in the doors. I've eliminated the rear speakers, so all the sound comes from the front. In the rear are 3 JL audio 10w6 subs in a custom enclosure. Powering is an old school Rockford power 650 in 3 channel mode. Filtering goes through an old school Audio Control EQQ crossover, and finally, the waveguides and mids are filtered through handmade crossovers (picture).

Maybe this topic belongs here, maybe it doesn't. I've loved the sound of horns for as long as I can remember and taking them on the road only made sense, it just took me many years to figure how to do it, and keep it simple. How does it sound? You can't believe how many times I had to pull over and adjust the eq with these things! I spent 3 months driving and tuning. Still, after 3 years, I'll hear a song and pull over to tweak the eq.

Was it worth it? Yes. The theory of the waveguides is that the sound travels up the dashbord, toward the ears to create a central focal point right in front of you, facing the windshield. Does it work? Sometimes. For the most part, they are very brilliant. The sound is unlike anything in a car I've ever heard, and still compare them to systems I listen to. Sometimes they are too much because of the close proximity to the horns. Sometimes they sound so nice, it brings a tear to my eye. The way the music is recorded determines the sound quality, as all systems: crap in, crap out.

Over all, I really enjoy the waveguides. They have a distinct horn quality to them. Some like them, some don't. As a Klipsch owner, I have to have my horns on the road! Hope you like the pics,..sorry I didn't bother to clean the truck up first :(

Take care,

Mark

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image