I've had it with my Custom 3's!!!!

CECAA850

I've just had it with these things!!!! I had the magical moment when everything comes together for the first time. Proper placement, proper seal then............it's like OH MY GAWD. A little background. I use my C3's strictly for running. They replaced the Sony ear phones that came with my Walkman. I've always thought the Sony's sounded pretty good but was looking forward to using the new Klipsch set. I pre-fit my earphones and went out for a run. Not bad but not great. My left ear sealed up perfectly but my right ear was a challenge for some reason. The next day I tried all the different sizes, again, and settled on a different size. Off for a run I went. Typically I walk a mile, run 4 miles and then walk a cool down mile. I couldn't get to the end of my block I was so immersed in the sound. Crisp highs and very well defined bass. Everything was finally working just right. When I got home I told my wife that it was like running with $10,000 worth of audio equipment on my arm. It was just great. Now I know what the fuss is all about. Call me happy. I especially like the fact that there's no wind whistle with this style headphone.

It does seem, that after a couple of miles that the sound in my right ear will cut in and out at times. Keeping my mouth closed eliminates the problem but is not practical aways. Looks like I have a little tweeking left, but overall I'm in love with the C3's.

Whoo woo!!

I use mine a lot when I'm outside working or on my backhoe or tractor. I end up getting full of sweat.

I was trying to use the double flanges and found out that although I like them, as I get more sweaty, they tend to slip in my ear (more of a rotate) and go silent as I suppose the outlet turns into my ear canal instead of pointing down it.

I've learned that if I'm going to be sweaty, I need to use the rounded tips. I can use the double flanges at other times but when I use the rounded, normal tips, I can get as sweaty as a pig and have a difficult time losing the sound.

I only say that cause you're running...(or did I just suggest you're a sweaty pig?)

[:|] [^o)]

I've had that moment as well with the C3s... One moment where it just "comes together" and the emotional response kicks in fully.

I have very odd issues with getting a seal with all of the tips provided, I can get a seal with just about any of them, but they will not stay in for more than 10 minutes or so before popping loose. I just ordered some Comply foam T-100 tips from Amazon to see if they can't fix my seal issues...

I guess my ear canal shape is just a genetic oddity...

I only say that cause you're running...(or did I just suggest you're a sweaty pig?)

Yes, at times I am a sweaty pig, and your point..........[:P]

Last night I think I solved my in and out sound issue in my right ear. I cinched the wires fairly tight behind my head and they stayed put throughout my run. I hadn't used the cinch(er) prior to last night, just let the wires hang loose. I'm liking these things (if it's possible) more and more. Acoustic guitar is incredible on the C3's.

• 3 months later...

I too had a pretty awesome experience with my C3's just last night.

Typically I use my C3's at work, but unfortunately I only have the mini line out on my laptop to connect too, and the sound quality of the OEM sound card is really pretty atrocious.

Anyway I was reading some literature on my old Aragon 18k preamp that suggested that the pre out was capable of running headphones without any further amplification necessary. So I piped the USB DAC off my main 2CH system's audio server into the 18k and ran the C3's straight off the pre outs.

Pretty gosh darn incredible... I mean I knew the C3's were good, but giving them a nice upstream component line just was awesome. So I think I'm gonna have to pick up a reasonable USB DAC and take it into the office along with my Aragon 18k [:P]...which BTW if you have an old Aragon Pre lying about, I can attest to the fact that it does make a good headphone amp (albeit a big one!).

FYI: If you try this (hooking headphones to an pre line out) you'll need an RCA Y-Splitter that has a mini-stereo jack, essentially a patch cable for hooking up something like an iPod to a reciever. Second you'll need to find a "male to male" mini jack extender, so you can plug the headphones into the Y-Splitter (unless you can find a Y-Splitter that has a mini female end rather than the male end).

Make sure you know what you're doing though! Plugging something like this up to a line-level output that has no gain control could blow out any pair of headphones or be far too loud and hurt your ears. Make sure you can attenuate the volume of whatever line out you're playing with.

I can only imagine how good they would sound if I gave them a decent signal.

Pretty freakin' great actually [:P]...

If I lived somewhere where I couldn't use a full blown stereo system, the combination I described above would be the definite fallback position...

The analogy of it being like having 10-large worth of stereo equipment attached to your head was rather apt...

I too am plagged by a poor headphone amp output. If I use a DAC to pull redbook (digital) audio streams the signal cleans up nicely through my C3's. Two DAC amps that I have used are the Predator and Magnum. Tell Ray or Uncle Wilson that Professor Thump sent you and they will most likely give you a discount.

Here are the links:

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/predator

http://www.unclewilsons.com/shop/step1.php?number=624

I haven't tried this DAC but if you already have an amp this will also work. It is not as portable though.

http://www.unclewilsons.com/shop/step0.php?b_code=B20080503102258&c_code=C20080503102357