Why don't we Use Our "Local Dealers more"?

Bill H.

Just curious how finding "Local Dealers" affects your purchases?

I have seen the change here from buying strickly from your local dealer. (cause there weren't authorized online ones) ; too everyone buying

online.

I ask also because I am noticing the threads where people are buying online.......then we see the New "OH my god another damaged Speaker"
announcement.

I just think with our economies affected as they are; that we should all shop Gobally and buy Locally (IF it is possible).

I for one am glad that "Hollywood Sound" is local to me. Guy's been there 28 years and really knows his stuff.... Truely a music lover. most purchases I have made he's given me 10% off online retailers, granted it mid-high level gear and there is padding built in.

Nice thing is the service and the advice....I wanted a new cart so he let me check out 4, on two identical tables.....he spent over 3 hours with me getting it just right..

I can't see myself going to anyone else, as he has talked me off the ledge on some pricy items that he would have made bigger profit on and sold me gear at 1/2 the amount that I'm much happier with!

Todd (SoundTowne) in Texarkana would disagree. Granted, he's had to take on appliances and is mostly HT...but he has a "Heritage" room and sells good stuff to those who want and appreciate it. It was founded in 1972 and I bought my first set of serious speakers, Frazier Super Monte Carlos, there.

To survive, you gotta be able to go with the flow...

Dave

The Little Guys in the Chicago area might be a "local dealer" I'm on their distribution list and they do carry and have promoted Klipsch. Maybe JamesV, Artto, Dr Who, Meagain, or other members in or near the Chicago area have visited?

Sorry but I forget where in the Chicago area. I can find out if anyone wants to know and I think posted somewhere in the Headphone section as they emailed about the Klipsch in ear 'phones

Sorry OT

Todd (SoundTowne) in Texarkana would disagree

Seabrook is a bit of a drive from Texarkana eh? I'm originally from Clarksville.

300 miles. I was raised there. My dad drove to Clarksville to preach as an interim pastor (many years ago) every Sunday for quite some time.

My brother currently occupies the house I was raised in and we visit there pretty often. Todd and my nieces husband Mike are good friends and are hopefully coming to the "Donnybrook in Seabrook" around 1 April with Todd's ST70 from the "Heritage" Room at SoundTowne.

Dave

I tried to buy 5 LS IIs and a turntable from the local dealer. Cash in hand, not a dime off list and in his words "I don't have time to look up the specs for the cartridge that comes with that table". Nuff said, I have not darkened his door again.

The Little Guys in the Chicago area might be a "local dealer" I'm on their distribution list and they do carry and have promoted Klipsch. Maybe JamesV, Artto, Dr Who, Meagain, or other members in or near the Chicago area have visited?

Sorry but I forget where in the Chicago area. I can find out if anyone wants to know and I think posted somewhere in the Headphone section as they emailed about the Klipsch in ear 'phones

I live about a mile from the Little Guys (183rd and Halsted, Glenwood, IL.) and visit quite often. I've bought TV's, speakers and cables from them because they are the closest "high-end" dealer. That being said, each time I made a purchase I knew exactly what I wanted and purchased said item. The people that work there are SALES PEOPLE. They're there to sell you something, anything, and they don't care if it mates well with what you have or not. They also have zero intrest in tube equipment, unless it's a 7,000 Mcintosh. To their credit though, they have had some Heritage on display in the past, and I did see all (3) of Klipsch's new headphones on display.

The couple of times I've been to Holm Audio (in Woodrige, IL,) I've found them to show a little more intrest in finding the right fit for your needs, and they carry lots of different tube equipment, have trade in programs, and have many used and demo items.

This situation really isn't from the internet. I built up my system pretty well in the 70's by selling equipment out from under the local stores. Of course, they were mostly list or slight discount. I just tell my friends or whoever to find what they wanted, get a quote, and give it to me. My price was 20% of what I saved them...found money for them and for me as well. Plus, I did set up and commisioning for them...which meant I got to audition whatever they were buying. Since I took Audio, High Fidelity, and Stereo Review I had access to all the discounters. A few minutes on the phone and I'd have 30% or more off their quote and money in my pocket.

During this period I bought a couple of thousand dollars worth of equipment, and a few cases of beer as well, just having a good time.

Of course, I did not give a thought to the poor local storeowner I was undercutting. I guess I figured business was not sport, but war.

Dave

I tried to buy 5 LS IIs and a turntable from the local dealer. Cash in hand, not a dime off list and in his words "I don't have time to look up the specs for the cartridge that comes with that table". Nuff said, I have not darkened his door again.

I've noticed the same attitude here: If we don't stock it, then we don't sell it. Many audio stores have gone under in my area recently, as more big box stores muscle in. 6th Ave. and Best Buy are popping up more and more in my area much to my dismay. 6th Ave even carries high end like McIntosh but it's the same big store policy, high pressure and unknowledgeable sales people. No thanks, I'll do my own research and buy online. I'd be more than happy to give my business to a small local store, if only there were one worth visiting in my area.

Is he still in business? Sad

yes they are and the equipment was in stock at the time!

I live about a mile from the Little Guys (183rd and Halsted, Glenwood, IL.) and visit quite often. I've bought TV's, speakers and cables from them because they are the closest "high-end" dealer. That being said, each time I made a purchase I knew exactly what I wanted and purchased said item. The people that work there are SALES PEOPLE. They're there to sell you something, anything, and they don't care if it mates well with what you have or not. They also have zero intrest in tube equipment, unless it's a 7,000 Mcintosh. To their credit though, they have had some Heritage on display in the past, and I did see all (3) of Klipsch's new headphones on display.

I do have to say that I have spent some money at The Little Guys in the past, it was all on car audio. I use to go in once a week when it was in the middle of the current strip mall. I knew a guy that work there and it was good to get a discount on stuff, but he no longer works there. [:(] Last time I was there was when I had cash in hand to purchase my RF-83 setup, not a good experience. My gf, her son and I were there for over an hour and no one ever came up to us to ask if we need any help. We even sat in the same room that they have the Heritage speakers and kicked our feet up in the theater chairs. It wasn't until we were walking out the door when someone came over to ask if we need any help, my reply, "no thanks." From that day I haven't been back nor will I go back. Funny thing is that I called the place that I did end up purchasing the speakers from while I had my feet kicked up.

The place that I will purchased from and will again is Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates, IL. This place is a little over an hour from me but that doesn't matter, when you have friendly people to talk to that's all that counts. The sad thing is that The Little Guys is only half hour or so away from me.

Back to the original question.

I would love to purchase all my new speakers from a local dealer but with the way the internet is, it is getting very hard to spend a little more at that same local place. With no sale tax and free shipping, plus finding the speakers under MSRP, that is hard to beat. I will still consider Simply Stereo if given the opportunity to purchase new speakers, and it will be hard to not use them again.

James

I don't often look to local dealers for my audio needs - for several reasons.

First, my local dealers don't meet my best needs for the type of gears that I am interested in. I came to this forum over seven years ago precisely because I could not find Heritage Klipsch in my locality (as well as the subsequent "you don't want HORNS, do you" questions upon hearing my query). I found them here.....and for a price I could actually afford. Furthermore, I will get more value for that money spent (like speakers for life) than I ever could through typical products from a dealer.

Second, there aren't many local small dealers around here. Two that are notable - NONE who sell Klipsch or tube gear.

I am a "working stiff" (foodservice) who earns his money the "hard way". I tend to look for high quality good condition used items before I look for ANYTHING new. That applies to cars, furniture, appliances, and yes, audio. While most locally that I know of similar income and circumstances would opt for whatever they could find new at a big box that would give them a complete system all at once, I took a long term and serious approach to my audio persuits, knowing full well that my best solutions not only lie in used gear - but in gear not even available new now (like MC-30s and alnico laden Heritage). See also the inverse relationship between time and money - I have more time than money, so I use that time to make the most efficient use of the money I DO have. That for me is best achieved in gathering the gears that other more well to do audiophiles spill. If I had an upper class income, I would buy a new set of Heritage just to give Klipsch that business.....but those speakers would be an "extra" - not even "needed" in the context of my system layouts as planned. It would be only for the purpose of the pleasure of having new ones.

There is also MUCH to be said for purchasing these used gears from the era of the height of American production. Those 1950's to 1970's units are BUILT - like a brick "outhouse". These gears are WELL worth owning to me, and usually preferable in build to new gears, although there are exceptions (very expensive).

It is most definitely the case that my system quality far exceeds what one of my income would normally have. That is due in large part to my preference in used gear - if I had to buy all of it new it would cost multiples more, or I could have spent the same $$ on my systems and have considerably less. Given that these purchases are meant for my lifetime, careful and thoroughly considered choices were made, with the best and most options being available online. My audio hobby is one of the few luxuries I afford myself.....many nights out to dinner/movies/bars have been foregone so that we can have something of lasting value and beauty in our home, that gives us more pleasure than those nights out to dinner would. Why go to the movies when I have THIS rig? My theater also serves "Fat Tire" brews.....

I could not have got my MC-30s locally, nor my alnico Heritage, nor my VRDs, nor my MX-110, nor my Tele/Amperex/Mullard 12AX7/12AU7, not my GEC KT66.....well, you get the picture.

I am not adverse to going to local dealers for the things that I do need that they do have. It is likely that my HD display will come from a local dealer, and I do use them for simpler small items I need. I also use local dealers for friends who need product that fits thier needs and price. My friends have bought MUCH more new Klipsch than I have.....they make up for what I don't buy. So while I don't do as much personally for Klipsch and other dealers' bottom lines, I have been a good "marketer" and many Klipsch and other gears have been sold as a result of my advices :-)

My favorite "dealers" are found right HERE. While Craig Ostby isn't "local" to ME, I still think of doing business with Craig as "localism", because that money is spent to an INDIVIDUAL, who spends portions of that money local to him. Furthermore, Craig gets more benefit from my $2500 purchase than a big box salesman would get spending similar $$ at that big box store. More money in the pockets of individuals who really care about what I need works best for me. I feel much the same buying used product from individuals.....that individual gets more benefit than spreading small bits of money to people through a corporate structure that must sell thousands of units to stay alive - not to mention those aren't units I'm really interested in anyway.

It was because of shoddy dealer product availability, service, or performance that I ended up here, just on a whim with an internet search. It was the best accident a Klipsch wanting musichead could ever have. NO dealer could have met and exceeded my needs as has occurred for me here. Imagine having a car built to your ergonomic needs, or a suit tailor made. That's what this place did for my audio needs. When I show my local dealers what I did with my system, the typical reaction is "WHOA"......too shocked to even attempt to "tear it down". That's more than sufficient justification for my decisions, as is my ears :-)

Thank you, one and all for your responses...........

Reading them, the theme I strongly realize and forgot about , is how dedicated we are to achieve a system that meets our individual tastes and Budgets.

It brings back all the "Road Trips" to obtain that one or two pieces that I couldn't find , expect by visiting Members .

Nectar, if I offended you or anyone with my question, I apologize.............You points were a vivid reminder to me how we strive, scrimp and save to reach the "Perfect" sound systems..............

Thanks to all...............

Thanks guys..........Let me re phrase this.........

If you have/had access to a local dealer, why are we sending our "Local Dollars" to someplace else ?, say Las Vegas or Utah (no offense to those states)./

Because they do not have what I want and can not compete with ebay, audiogon, and imports. They are trending to HT and forgetting two channel. At least that is what is happening locally. Custom audio could be really cool but they still cary Yamaha and Denon. Get with the times. I know many guys in town who would have bought tube amps or preamps in town had they any to audition.

Custom audio could be really cool but they still cary Yamaha and Denon. Get with the times. I know many guys in town who would have bought tube amps or preamps in town had they any to audition.

I agree. When you find a store that has people who are excited about their product and interested in helping you find that excitement too, you will tend to buy what they sell. More than once, I've gotten business acquaintances excited about the idea of two-channel audio, and I'm not even selling anything! I'm enthusiastic, and it's addictive. If I were an audio salesman, that's the approach I would use.

It has worked well for me selling super-insulated homes.

Greg

Custom audio could be really cool but they still cary Yamaha and Denon. Get with the times. I know many guys in town who would have bought tube amps or preamps in town had they any to audition.

I agree. When you find a store that has people who are excited about their product and interested in helping you find that excitement too, you will tend to buy what they sell. More than once, I've gotten business acquaintances excited about the idea of two-channel audio, and I'm not even selling anything! I'm enthusiastic, and it's addictive. If I were an audio salesman, that's the approach I would use.

It has worked well for me selling super-insulated homes.

Greg

They don't even bother to meet the audiophile community anymore. Have events invite people to bring gear have some beer on site. It helps them learn what they should be selling and it encourages people to come in. There is affordable hi-fi I would buy they just don't bother. Yamaha and Denon is so 15 years ago. They just stand around looking at speakers and say I'll sell this to you for $$$$$. It may even be a great deal. Custom Audio has a pair of new walnut khorns for $5500. That shouldn't be a hard sell. I'll stop ranting : )