Denon 2808ci or Onkyo NR906

roaddog359

I am looking for some input on what you guys think is the better receiver? And Why? Is the THX certification important or not? Mostly watch movies with my set up but also listen to music about 80/20. If you have either of these or know about them your comments would be very helpful.

• Moderators

I had an Onkyo TX-SR703 and did not like it for 2ch with my RF-83's. Fantastic for HT, but not as musical as my previous HK. To me, the Onkyo blended the sounds where the HK had fantastic separation of individual instruments and the clarity and detail was superb. I have never listened to Denon so I cannot provide feedback there. Good luck in whatever you decide.

The Onkyo's run on the hot side, so if ventilation or clearance in your rack is an issue, beware. I have no experience with Denon but purchased a Yamaha RX-V1800 that I could not be happier with. It replaced a Pioneer Elite that was THX Ultra 2 certified, but I prefer the Yamaha and it sounds no less powerful. THX is a stamp of approval that costs LOTS of money in licensing fees and does nothing but guarantee that the manufacturer is delivering on the power ratings quoted. The Yamaha is very easy to use and set up, but I've heard that about the Onkyo's too. I was close to purchasing an Onkyo, but could not fathom having a hot running receiver which gets used at least 6 hours a day.

• Moderators

I too love myYamaha 1800. Fantastic receiver, lots of power, very musical and amazing for HT.

I also agree about the THX. Some companies choose not to spend the money to receive the THX stamp of approval. Granted, if they are THX certified, they have met the criteria to receive that approval. But just because a receiver is not THX certified, does not mean that it is junk. THX info

Good example...the Yamaha RX-Z7 is not THX certified. $2700 retail price.

I auditioned some Klipsch speakers at a dealer using a Denon (I don't know which model). They sounded tinny like an old car radio. I heard them again with the Onkyo 906 and it was awesome. I audtioned Pavoroti and the Eagles Farewell Tour dvd. It was so good I bought the Onkyo 906 and the speakers. The video processor keeps the unit hot, but it's not a problem if well ventilated. Go to the avsform.com http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1059348&page=23 and you'll find mostly satisfied Onkyo 906 users.

Both of those receivers are a good choice but in this case you are choosing between apples and oranges. The 2808ci is Denon's mid-high end model while the TX-NR906 is the top model in the Onkyo lineup. The DAC's,power supply, and amps are clearly more high end with the Onkyo and it also packs more features. With that said there is also a higher pricepoint. If $$$ isn't an issue, get the 906.

Bill

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR906&class=Receiver&p=f

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4484.asp

Denon link is for the 2809ci.

I'm not really a fan of Denon. I've heard a few of their older receivers (non HDMI), and wasn't impressed. THX means that it's been put through a series of tests, and it passed them all. On my receiver, you can choose THX cinema. According to the manual, this is the sound mode that the producers of the moviie intended it to sound. I've done a direct comparison on CARS, which is a THX certified DVD. Dolby Digital EX sounded good, but THX Cinema EX sounded way better. I guess what I'm getting at is that yes, THX cert is a good logo to have on the front of your amp/receiver! Get the Onkyo..........

I would also vote for the Onkyo, the NR906 is a great receiver, also the Onkyo 876 and 906 are quite an improvement over the lower series Onkyo's (806, 706, etc.) . I have never been a very big fan of Denon, my last two receivers have been Onkyo's and I have been very happy with them both. No I don't pay any attention to THX certification which the manufactuer must purchase.

Thanks, for all the input guys. I am leaning towards the 906 myself. I am trying to find a good deal on one now the best I found so far was $1455.00 Let me know if you guys see it for less anywhere. Keep your thoughts coming! I need a switched outlet or two on the back to trigger my amps so I do not loose my 7.1 set up if I use the 12v trigger on the Onkyo 706 that I am using now.

NR905 $999.99 w/free ship:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-NR905-Silver-7-1-TrueHD-HDMI-Receiver-New_W0QQitemZ320333845356QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item320333845356&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Most view the current 806 as being inferior to the previous 805. Not sure if that's true with the 905/906 change, but it might be worth looking into. I know the 805 has much beefier amplifier components than the 806. Getting the 905 might save you some coin and you might end up with a better receiver overall too.

Earlier I recommended the 906 over the 2808ci. The 905 over either one at this price at $899.99(last years model). 906 not much improvement over 905 with exception of 5w/channel and maybe minor tweeks.

Bill

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR905/Onkyo/-TX-NR905-THX-Ultra2-140w-x-7ch-HDMI-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

Reconditioned but with 1 year warranty.

They are an authorized Onkyo dealer.