Amps on a budget......

tommyboy

I need opinions. I'm thinking, just thinking about adding a power amp to my setup. I don't want to spend more than $800, and want at least 5 channels. I was looking at this one....

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7075.html

Is it possible to bi wire/bi amp using both the power from my receiver as well as a separate amp? The outlaw puts out 75wpc, and my Pioneer puts out 130wpc. I would like to be able to use both, and have around 200wpc. Like I said, I'm just THINKING about the amp, hehehe.................... Really depends on how much we get back for our taxes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am having sort of the same issue. i have the lpa-1 and it's bi-amped. to me sounds great. i am thinking of going to seperates and am debating on bi-amping again.

i would suggest, if it were me, if you are dead set on bi-amping the front 3, get either the lpa-1 or upa-7. same amp, you will get 20w more per speaker with the upa-7.

i am asking the question now between the upa-7 and xpa-5, so far people have suggested the xpa-5 because it's a better amp.

i hope that helps a little....

Don't think about bi-amping as the sum of both channels. ie 130wpc + 75wpc is not the equivalent of 205wpc. A setup such as 130wpc + 75wpc is not really a great thing to do with the passive crossovers in the klipsch gear, if you actively bi-amp would be a better scenario. 75wpc to the high end and the 130wpc to the low end. Keep in mind though that with the passive xovers in the Synergy series and the Reference series will share both the power from the pioneer and what ever other amp you decide on. So if you have one amp that has more distortion is will inevitbaly have an effect on the other amps power within the speakers.

Bi-amping klipsch speakers such as the reference and synergy series should be biamped with close to the if not exact the same amp specs as to not cause to much intereence within the speaker itself.

Your speakers will work the same with the jumpers removed believe it or not.

Well, this may be a dead end thread. I asked her about it, and she asked how much it cost. I said $800, and she didn't freak out like I thought she would. She just looked at me and said we can pay for a year of Pet insurance for half that price. I honestly had no come back....... [*-)]

I'm not giving up yet though! We're not married, so we're filing separately, so maybe she'll get a good tax return!

It is a rare marketing tool that has just come up............scaring folks with pets "Would you be able to pay for spots medical if something happened?"

Big in CA and FL................

Uniquie - to say the least....................

But to stay on track............I think you can get the XPA 7 for around 599.00..............IMHO. Good Luck.

Tommy- when/if you get married there is a marriage penalty, where as if you were single you get more money back............

I need opinions. I'm thinking, just thinking about adding a power amp to my setup. I don't want to spend more than $800, and want at least 5 channels.

Pay attention Tommy Boy. Emotiva is praised often on this forum. Just kidding about pay attention. Here is the best deal on the web. Buy this amp to run your left,center, and right and use your Pioneer to power the rest.

Bill

http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

From what I've heard, pet insurance is really only "necessary" for their first year of life. Like babies, they get sick, hurt, etc. You pay a certain amount, ours is 40 a month, and when you go to the vet, you pay the fees up front, they send your info to your insurance company, and the ins company reimburses you 90% of the cost up to 5,000 bucks. If you can't afford to pay for it up front, the vet can do the work, and as long as you prove you have valid insurance, won't bill you until your check comes in from the ins policy. So, him getting his shots will cost up 10 bucks as opposed to 100, and his "spading" will cost up like 15 instead of 80. Seems like a good deal................

now about the amp. I have made up my mind that I am getting one. Whether in the next month or so, or some time in the next year. I'll just have to compromise with her some way/some how, and I don't think flowers are going to do it; know what I mean? She has a valid argument going right now though. She's right, I have to admit it. 1 year of pet insurance is around 480 bucks, and we have to give our landlord a 300 dollar pet deposit. 780 bucks. And with my budget for an amp being $800, she has a good point. But, OTOH, SHE wanted to get a dog. I was totally against it! So, I have that going for myself; but OTOH, me and him have definitely bonded, he's become a member or our household/family, and I couldn't imagine hiim not being here now........... Maybe I'll just pay her off with a couple/few foot massages or something?

Ya, I never thought about it until Bill mentioned it. Makes perfect sense. How would I measure what my Pioneer pushes with just 2 speakers playing? We have multimeters at work that I could borrow. Anyone know if there's some kind of formula I could use to find out with a multimeter? I mean if I unplugged all my speakers, and left just the 2 surround plugged in to get how much wattage was actually going to them.........

Tommy Boy,

It looks like from the specs that it pushes 130w/channel with 2 channels driven.

130 + 130

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/VSX-2016AV-S/print.html

Bill

good catch Bill! But I want to know what it TRULY pushes...... that's why I wanted to actually measure it to find out. I asked once on here about switching it over to 6 ohms, but everyone voted no to it. I've never tried it to see if it sounds any better or not due to fear. I didn't want to damage the receiver or speakers........

I still say get the xpa-5 and then you are all set. 200 watts to all 5 of your channels and if you go to 7.1 you can get the xpa-2. You willnot second guess yourself if you get it. If the pet is not having health problems you can hold off on the pet insurance, until after tax return time. Get the xpa-5 its the most bang for the buck and it will really wake up your speakers.

The Emotiva is surely a best bang for the buck new.I have had many amps,nothing outperforms the Emotiva for almost twice the money.

As to pet insurance,I had a cat 20 years,maybe 3 trips to the vet,all minor.I had a dog 15 years,maybe 2 trips to the vet,one minor and one at the end.