Good Closed Headphones?

Gluestick

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on buying good, comfortable, closed headphones. I'd like to spend no more than $100 since I just plunked down 300 for the 4.1s and being the poor college student that I am, I've spent enough. Yeah, I know I should just listen to the speakers, but I have roomates and I like to play games at night and the sound of loud gunfire probably wouldn't be appreciated by them or my neighbors. I am currently using some cheap headphones made by Philips or so that came with a portable CD player. I bought the Sennheiser HD575 from Frys but had to return them cuz they were too loud since the sound leaked out. I've read stuff that the Sony V6 is good and so is the Koss R100. Out of those two, which is better and are there better headphones for the price out there. Thanks.

i definetly recommend it paragon. i just bought a pair of sennheiser hd575's and hd545's from www.jandr.com I wanted to demo both, cause i wasn't sure which one i wanted. The 545's are discontinued but you can still find them around, for 100 clams. Everybody on www.headwize.com loves them and so do i, they are fantastic when i play UT. jandr has a 30 money back guarrantee so you can try out whatever phones you want and then ship back the ones you don't wanna keep.

J

Check out dmusic.com, they had a feature on shopping for nice quality headphones a while ago. Considered headphones within many price ranges, and have been pretty accurate in many of their other reviews. Your opinion may vary however =) Still it's a good place to start, so give it a look, and see if you can listen to a set of headphones before whipping out your credit card and ordering them online -- everyone's ears are pretty unique.

FlatLine

hey janko, i have a question...

i can get the Senn HD575 for the same price as the Grado SR-80.

which should i go with?

i like my music to have a lot of deep bass, but without overpowering the rest of the music (i can get all the bass i want from my paradigm sub, the emphasis here is on all around sound quality)

seb, www.headphone.com has the grado sr-80's for $95 and the hd 575's for $99, essentially the same price. I tried the 575's which are supposed to be heavy on the bass, but i found the mid's to be too muddy and not very detailed. i haven't tried the sr-80's, but alot of people seem to like them, however, if you are planning on wearing them for extending periods of time, i cannot stress sennheiser phones enough. the grado's i find are really uncomfortable while the senn's are simply a pleasure to wear. i have the 545's and i find them to be extremely detailed, excellent bass and excellent mid's. as i said, they are discontiued, but www.jandr.com still has them for $99 which, imho, is a steal. the 545's successor, the hd-580's run around $200 but are considered one of the best headphones money can buy within reason. you definetly wanna check out www.headwize.com man, like i said, these guys know EVERYTHING there is to know about headphones. but to answer you're question, if you like good bass and good detail coupled with really good comfortablity, you can't go wrong with the hd 545's. the 575's were equally as comfortable, but just too 'muddy' sounding. hope this helps, email me if you have any questions.

J

Thanks for all the help. Those guys over at headwize are audio nuts. Never knew that people could get so heated up over different brands of headphones. Yeah I'd buy Grado's or something too, but I need the headphones to be closed so my roommate and his girlfriend can sleep. Plus I want something that is comfortable and it seems that for some people the Grado's can be uncomfortable since they sit on your ears or so. So after reading all those threads, I think I am gonna go with the Sony 7506's. They are supposedly better than the V6's and the price difference is only like 20 bucks or something. I've listened to one of my friend's V600's and they don't sound too bad. The V6's are supposed to sound better than the V600's. Since I am going with the 7506's, they should be even better. In the end, anything will sound better than my cheap plastic headphones that came with my cd player.

i have a pair of sony mdr-cd60's. they are pretty decent as far as my experience goes, but they aren't very loud or clear. they cost $20 i think. i am going to Recon2000 and want to have a real good set that is comfortable to wear for 86 hours straight hehe. anyways, the sony's are comfy but they hurt my hears after an hour or so. i will spend up to about $60 on new headphones. are there any good ones i can get at that price? if not what do the good ones cost?

Okay, Grado's are AS FAR FROM CLOSED AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET.

Also, You named two really good closed headphones. However, Koss has replaced the R100 with the R200. You also may want to consider the Beyerdynamic DT250-80. But, if you want a set of closed headphones that works great and sounds good on anything, you should really go with the Sony V6. Trust me.

Most Sennheiser headphones are open. And most Sony headphones suck, with a few REALLY REALLY good diamonds in the rough.

------------------

"Feh."