Hookups.......

tommyboy

Hamp mentioned that he has his subs hooked up like this: Running the single sub cable from the receiver, then using a Y splitter, & plugging that into the L and R on the sub amp. He said that it made a noticable difference in sound quality. This has caught my attention, and I want to try it out, but was wondering how many of you have your subs hooked up like this?

People will say that it only adds 3db gain and you shouldn't buy, but to turn the gain up on your sub. I had to find out for myself and what I found out is, there is more to it then that. The very very and I mean the very little difference it made besides increased volume you and other may not care about.

It's just when I heard the differnce I knew it was more then 3db gain. The way I heard the difference was with that link to test your subwoofer, I heard the bass note last a little bit longer. Actually it may be hard to hear it but it's there.

I also know when I added the Y-splitter and the carpet under the subs, there was an improvement with the bass.

You already know I have 2 sub -12 which are ported, I want to add a sealed sub to the whole mix to see how it sounds together. I think I will put the sealed sub in the rear.

I'm going to put a couple of quote's here and you will see why I am experimenting with this set-up:

"Sealed subs are tight, and fast. They are not exceptionally loud or room-filling unless they have ungodly amounts of power, or multiple drivers"

"Ported subs are, essentially, large, hollow bass tubes. They will fill an area with more pervasive sound"

"Ported subs have "sweet spots", unlike quality sealed subs. Ports are "tuned" to certain frequencies, and beyond the port frequency, performance lags. Within that sweet spot, ported subs are unsurpassed for performance."

I want to blend them together

I'll do a test and let ya'll know what I think. The day they come in the mail, I'll listen for about 30 mins hooked up the way it is now. Then, not listen to anything for about another 30 mins to let my ears relax from any kind of listening fatigue. Then plug in the Y splitters, keep all levels etc the same, and listen to the same source material again....... I paid the extra 5 bucks for shipping, so they should be here by Friday

That's not how I heard the difference, but it may work for you.

The way I did it, I had one of those links ready and I played it, I listen to certain bass notes and the time. I then did a switch with the Y-splitter and played it again, I went back and forth a few times to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

Now I have to try, I am really itching for a 3 db gain.

Dude, I'm amazed at how much of a difference these wires made. I had a "bass fest" last night, and I'm still blown away. I had the Sub 12 up louder than I ever had before, and it sounded amazing. I persoonally would never listen to it with that much bass, but once I got the wires hooked up, and heard the "initial" improvement, I was really curious about how the sub would perform under extreme loads. It took it all, with no distortion. One problem I did run into was that the Sub 12 left the 10 way behind. I hooked the Y splitters up to both subs, didn't change any settings at all, but the sub 12 was way louder. So, I had to turn the Sub 12 down, and level them back out. Anyways, Yes, you need to try it...........