Sunfire Grand Signature Amp with Klipsch Speakers

Pete H

I'm looking to get a seperate amp to drive my RF 7's and Center but I'm looking at trying to stay in the 500 to 1,000 range and pick up something used that will be a major improvement over using my old Onkyo to drive those and my Newer Onkyo tx 805 to drive the rest of the speakers. I've owned some Carver equipment back in the day and I've been looking at everything from older carver stuff to newer Sunfire gear. I'm of the school that I don't mind a few cosmetic issues on the used gear if it allows me to end up with a system that I couldn't affort to put together new and it still sounds great and can be serviced. Just looking for some suggestions based on what you people have experienced. Also if anyone has owned a Sunfire Sub I'm curious on any opinions on that.

Thanks!

I'm a HUGE proponent of Sunfire equipment; their amps are STELLAR and probably the best you'll ever hear for less than 4 times their price. You will never find a Signature amp for that kind of money, though. A 400~7 amp recently went for $1675 on ebay, the cheapest I've ever seen one. I paid $2350 almost 2 years ago for one. Someone bought a TGA-5400 (400~5) in the past few months for $1500. You can get an Ultimate Receiver these days for about $800-$1000, which is a pretty good deal. The only Sunfire amps I've seen go for less than $1k is the 300~2.

Personally, you can get better subs than Sunfire for the money. If you have the space, SVS, Epik, and Elemental Design make darned good subs in the under $500-$2000 range.

I've readalot of good stuff about sunfire products, I however have no personal experience with theTG. I recently sold my onkyo 805 to go the route you're looking into. I lost bells and whistles but what i gained in sound quality trumps the HDMI switching.

I had a sunfire HRS10 sub, i think it was around 800 bucks, tiny little 12x12x12 cube my wife though was cute, it did look nice in it's piano gloss black. It was an absolute great performer for it's size, tremendous output, clean tight bass, great for music, good for movies. It was nice for placement options because of its size, I ultimately returned it and purchased and SVS PB13 Ultra.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to take a trip tothe svs facility and take a listen to their subs, I didn't even know that they're built about 35 minutes from my house.

If I lived that far away from SVS, I'd most likely end up in jail for stalking. Drool.

Carver made a sweet 3 channel amp. They pop up from time to time used. They were THX certified I believe. All the Carver stuff I've owned or heard goes great with Klipsch. If you could pick up a couple of 200w TFM's for a good price, you'd be in heaven.

I'm running the cinema grand 200x7 on my forte II's for both ht and 2 channel. It's amazing how loud it will get and still be nice and clean. These amps are all pretty much the same except for total wattage and number of channels, and will handle impedance dips with ease. Happy hunting!

Definitely a FAN of Sunfire and Klipsch (see my signature). I've used my Sunfire amp with my KLF-20's and Chorus II's, same great results. The synergy is great and the sound is fantastic. HT just rocks and goes way louder than I ever would want to go.

• Like 1

Pete you seem to be going in a sub direction. But I have to say I'm very pleased with my Sinfire Cinema Grand. It's an older unit but sonically and cosmetically in great shape. Paid $700 shipped two years ago.

I'd like to compare other power amps with the Sunfire I have, just don't have the funds!