Henry Kloss is Gone

Deang

He died yesterday at the age of 72.

As I was growing up I owned several things he designed. I actually had some AR1's that my dad gave me, and I owned all versions of the Advent Loudspeaker.

He's one of my hero's.

Bummer.

------------------

deanG

I still own a pair of Acoustic Research AR3a's. Where those designed by him?

A VERY different speaker than Klipsch. Extremely smooth and mellow. I love them for two things: One, when you first wake up and your ears are super sensitive to everything, it's nice to have a speaker that's soft and quiet. And two, after a long tiring day when your ears are kinda tired from loud stuff.

I'll never get rid of 'em.

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

This is sad news.

A few years ago my office phone rang, I picked it up and heard a gentle, older man's voice on the other end. He said he was looking for a remote control very similar to what I had designed and manufactured for the Bose Wave Radio (the "credit card sized" remote). I told him we would love to design and sell him one, but that Bose, a pretty good customer, might get their noses a little out of joint.

I asked him what the volume per year would be, and he said, "I don't really know ... this is my LAST project and I promised my wife I'd retire soon ... but my last project did pretty well ..." Well, we talked a little while longer, joked about the crummy New England weather, and then he finally introduced himself ... Henry Kloss. The product he was about to launch was the Bose Wave Radio Killer. But talk about an unassuming man!

Well, I was speechless, but finally got my sh*t together enough to thank him for all the wonderful products he'd made over the years. He said, "Yeah, it was a good run ... And funny, it never seemed like work at all. I'll probably retire and die Smile.gif " God rest his soul.

Work isn't work if there isn't anything else you'd rather be doing.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

We all need to make sure Paul W.'s insurance is all paid up. Isnt he like 98 and still going strong? If you could pick five people that were most influential to audio, who would they be and why? Only if we could get the late James B. Lansing and Paul W. Klipsch in the same room, but there would probably be a lot of fighting...

Art does not die with the artist because art does not reside solely in the artist!

What is created by any artist be it by Henry Koss or Michaelangelo or Daimler or Paul Klipsch will always be art.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Henry Kloss and Edgar Villchur created the first acoustic suspension loudspeakers in 1952, the AR-1.

the first bookshelfs, I geuss.

He did Advent, then Cambridge, Right?

My condolences to the man, and I hoped he felt he lived a good life and influenced audio, which he did.

I don't want to see a good audio designer go, but like Lynnm posted, his art will live on.

I just figured Klipsch's feelings about Lansing commiting suicide would be like mine, a permenent solution for a temporary problem.

I'm sure PWK has had his ups, and downs, but he's still hangin'.

Never mind... bad post! shame!

Sorry 'bout that.

He didn't actually help design the AR-1 - that was Villchurs design all the way. However, he did convince Villchur to market the AR-1 and was actually responsible for founding the company.

Kloss was also the 'K' in KLH back when they mattered.

The Advent Loudspeakers were great but what he should really be credited with is the whole home theater thing. He was the first to bring the big screen concept into the living room with the Advent projector.

------------------

deanG

This message has been edited by deang on 02-12-2002 at 09:13 AM

I just found out about Henry Kloss on Sunday. It's very sad. I own AR2's, 3's, 4's and LST's. They are classic speakers that I will always keep. I have owned more Kloss related speakers than any other make- Advent, AR, KLH. Never was dissapointed with any of it. It's sad to find out when contemporary pioneers pass on. Hopefully he'll be greeted by an orchestra up there!

Kloss was a marketing genius and had a great ear for quality, an eye for inovation and a keen sense of trends. His table radio is still very popular and he was sharp right up till the end through the Cambridge Soundworks line of products (all of greater value and quality than Bose). He'll be missed.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems