What do you guys think about 50" 1080p Plasma for $1,400?

D-Rex

I bought my 720p 42" Plasma about 3 years ago for over $2,500.... now I am looking at a Panasonic 50" 1080p Plasma for $1,400! I want to pull the trigger badly, despite the fact that I have 100 other things better I should purchase for the house, car, kids, wife, etc. But, what do you guys think, can these get any cheaper?

• Moderators

But, what do you guys think, can these get any cheaper?

Of course they can. Reality is, the longer you wait, the less they will cost. You saw that happen with your 42'.

Quick look turned up these, both of which are cheaper than $1400.00. The Panny has received great reviews.

50" Panasonic TH50PZ80U on Newegg.com with FREE shipping for $1349.00

50" Samsung PN50A510 at Best Buy for $1149.00

If you have 100 other things that you need more than an extra 8" in your tv, it wouldn't hurt you to hold out a little longer. It's easy to get caught up in the desire to have bigger/better. Regardless of your decision, just make sure you and your spouse are in agreement with it. You know the saying, "If momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy."

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Aso check with Sears. Usually they stock or can get the Model you
want. Their Prices have been Very good and they price Match. Just an
Idea.

Latest Model from Panasonic that peaks my interest is the: this is the latest Model out according to Amazon.com and Cnet...............

Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85U 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

I have a 42" plasma, love it- the depth of color and blacks is astounding, much better than any other set I've seen. Plasma definitely kicks butt. But if I wanted a larger set I'd seriously think about just going projection. The wattage consumed by plasma sets is decidedly un-friendly.

• Moderators

But if I wanted a larger set I'd seriously think about just going projection.

That's actually the decision that I made. I was thinking about using a 50" Panasonic in my theater room but then when I put the masking tape on the wall, I was so disappointed at how small it was going to look in a 13' x 19' room with 10' ceilings that I decided to go big and get a 103" Cinescope screen. I'm actually expecting it to arrive today or tomorrow.

We have "last year's" Panny TH50-PZ77U in the main room in the house, and it's great. Comfortable viewing even at 20-25' or so for watching the news while we're getting ready in the morning, and watching TV shows at about 8'.

But for movies, nothing beats a BIG screen.

Thanks for the sage advice guys! I know I will continue to WANT a bigger TV and they will APPEAR cheap but, unless one just falls into my lap at "can't turn down prices," I will probably be much better served by leaving those funds in my stock account and buying TWO 50" Plasmas at this time next year if I want to!

• Moderators

I will probably be much better served by leaving those funds in my stock account and buying TWO 50" Plasmas at this time next year if I want to!

I definitely wouldn't pull money from stocks to buy a tv. You will end up paying way more for that tv than you think in the loss of compound interest.

I will probably be much better served by leaving those funds in my stock account and buying TWO 50" Plasmas at this time next year if I want to!

I definitely wouldn't pull money from stocks to buy a tv. You will end up paying way more for that tv than you think in the loss of compound interest.

Well, that's assuming your stocks are actually gaining value.

Well, that's assuming your stocks are actually gaining value.

I just dropped about 4 grand into Well Fargo and Lincoln Financial. I think they will appreciate alot more than a TV will, but I sure wanted that TV!

Thank you Youthman. I bought the 50" Samsung you mentioned in you post above last Saturday for 1249.99. I had looked around a lot and it seemed like a good buy. When I saw your post I thought that seems like the TV I just bought. I followed your link and sure enough it was (and for 150 cheaper). When I got off work I went home and got my paperwork and went straight to the BB. They refunded 150 plus tax. WOOOOO HOOOOO. I'll buy you a beer or a dozen if we ever meet up. Thanks again.

OP. See prices do come down with time. I probably wouldn't have looked if YM hadn't posted this.