Possibly my saddest post........ UPDATE

tommyboy

We got called in a little early today. We have a lot of our squadron members deployed right now, and one of our convoys got "hit" last night. One of our very own is in critical condition in Germany. He was air vac'd immediately. We're all keeping him in our prayers and our thoughts and putting together a package for him, his wife, and their 3 children. It's hard to believe, because I see this man almost everyday. The docs say he'll be fine, it'll just take a long time. He has severe facial and neck injuries. Please keep him in your prayers. I know you don't know him, but he's an american military member...............

Well, we got a little more info as the day went on. The ambush was actually on Sat. night. He was air vac'd to a hospital in Germany; and immiedately went into surgery. He's now stable enough to be flown (red cross) to the states, to seek further/better medical treatment and undergo many, many more surgeries. The word is that he's going to survive, and there is NO brain damage! (thank god) As far as returning to duty; not looking so good............. I'll keep you posted as I/we learn more.

This is unfortunately the downfall to being in the armed forces. Last March, when I was stationed in England, my neighbor, 3 doors down in base housing was on a "special duty" with the Army. He was security forces in the Air Force. His detail was ambushed while on patrol, and he was fatally shot. A new father to a baby boy, and a husband to a beautiful wife. The saddest part about it all was that this man was only 19 years old. He was the first Airman from the USAFE (United States Armed Forces Europe) to die in Iraq......................

Tommyboy,

Thank you to you and your comrades for all you do to protect us all. A friend of my daughter's maybe 19 or 20 was killed in Iraq while she was in high school.

Talk about growing up fast.

The lunatics that protest at military funerals threatened to show up but the Freedom Riders or whatever the group was came to town in force to make sure they didn't cause any problems. Needless to say the lunatic protestors didn't show up and thankfully the community turned out in full support, a local fire departments hanging a very large US flag over Neil's procession route and those at school the day of his funeral were outside as his procession passed the school. He had graduated the year before I think and had only been in Iraq for a few weeks.

So when we say we can't thank you enough. We can't.

Prayers for your friend and all our servicemen and women.

As a retired military member and a U.S> citizen, I thank him with all I have and wish the best.

I am curious; that place in FL on your profile, use of the term squadron, etc. care to share branch of service info (or not)

Fair winds and following seas shipmate.

As a retired military member and a U.S> citizen, I thank him with all I have and wish the best.

I am curious; that place in FL on your profile, use of the term squadron, etc. care to share branch of service info (or not)

Fair winds and following seas shipmate.

Sure. I'm in the Air Force; parachute rigger. (Spec Ops rigger) Free fall, and static line chutes and chest reserves are my bread and butter here at Hurlburt Field, which is Air Force Headquarters for AFSOC. (Air Force Speical Operations Command) We're officially the busiest parachute shop in the Air Force, and have a VERY high temp. Lots of deployments, TDY's, etc. I've been in for 7 years in May, pinned on E5 in Jan 07, and am testing for E6 March 17th. The way it breaks down in the AF is like this: Base = Wing next level down=group. Next level down=squadron. Then flight. Enough info? And THANKS to you USNRET. My father retired from the Navy after 26 short years. He was a corpsman................

Even as a squid, I am pretty familiar with the AF way of things. Spent my younger years as a Navy gunner on a AH-1 cobra with a Army colonel as my HAC and then spent a large portion of my career with the AF out Kadena, Misawa, Keflavik, Diego Garcia and other places. You darn golf bag/dorm guys have it made. I am the only sailor in my group of engineers on the Raptor that are all ex Air Force.

Parachute Rigger, indeed! We called them panty riggers in the Nav. Just teasing, I've got a couple of thousand hours on helos as a SAR swimmer and I know you are worth your weight in gold!

Everyone counts and best wishes, stay safe son.

Master Chief Petty Officer, USN retired