New addition to the theater room

Youthman

• Moderators

My new RC-64 arrived today via Fedex Freight! I probably will not hook it up until this weekend because my projection screen came in today so I will be installing it on Friday as well as running my speaker wires in the walls and mounting my RB-35's. Then on Saturday, I have a guy coming in to install the entertainment center/false wall that will conceal all of the equipment up front. So over the next few days, there will be much work going on in there and I will be moving the speakers, theater chairs and equipment out of the room so they do not have the opportunity to get damaged.

I'll be ordering the Panasonic AE-3000u projector hopefully sometime next week. Next Saturday, a friend and I will attempt to build the riser for my rear seats. I've never constructed anything in my life so it should be fun. [:P]

Here are some photos of the RC-64.

I'm getting close to having a fully functional theater room that the family can enjoy. We need to get it setup quick because we all are going blind playing the Wii on my son's 17" LCD Screen.

post-27215-1381943805498_thumb.jpg

I wonder why they stopped putting that little plastic center-piece in the middle of the horn? My RF 3II's and RB 5's have plastic pieces covering the center of the horn but my RC-7 doesn't. I noticed it absent in your picture of the RC-64 as well.

• Moderators

I wonder why they stopped putting that little plastic center-piece in the middle of the horn? My RF 3II's and RB 5's have plastic pieces covering the center of the horn but my RC-7 doesn't. I noticed it absent in your picture of the RC-64 as well.

Yep, no plastic piece on the RC-64. Was it for protection during shipping?

My new RC-64 arrived today via Fedex Freight! I probably will not hook it up until this weekend...

Yeah, right. If you're anything like me you'll be up until 4am getting everything hooked up and then be upset because you can't listen too loud or you'll wake the wife. [8o|]

Im sure you will agree youth, that 64 is pretty damn heavy. I was very suprised when I picked mine up. wow. I knew my little shelf that housed my RC62 wasnt gonna work, I had to get a 3/4 sheet of plywood, and sandwich them together and then sand and paint. it will be ready tomorrow, Ill shoot you guys some pics.

• Moderators

After looking at the pictures, it's a little tiny thing isn't it !

Yeah, I can almost palm it like a basketball [:^)]

I never dreamed that one day I would be able to own a Reference system. It's taken a very long time for me to get this far, very slow process but totally worth the wait and effort. It's hard to believe that I started off as a teenager with a Pioneer Prologic receiver, Front DCM 3 way speakers with 12" woofers, a small Polk center channel and small infinity bookshelves. And back then, the coolest thing in video was Laserdisks! I came close, but never actually bought one. Man, I'm starting to sound old and I'm only 33. LOL.

Yeah, right. If you're anything like me you'll
be up until 4am getting everything hooked up and then be upset because
you can't listen too loud or you'll wake the wife.

Well, the kids are all in bed, wife too. Center channel is in the master suite so I'll not be getting to it tonight. I'll be busy tomorrow night and there is no sense moving it into the theater room only for Thursday night, especially when it is too wide to fit where the previous RC-7 went. I guess I could move my sub over a tad and it would work but I'll just wait till the cabinets are in this weekend. I might have no will power when it comes to being pressured to buy the RC-64 but I can hold out till this weekend and enjoy just looking at it until then.

klipsch.jpg

• Moderators

I was very suprised when I picked mine up.

I wasn't surprised at the weight or the size. I've studied the specs on it for quite some time, even quoting them to friends. :) I did email the cabinet guy to remind him that the top part of the cabinet needs to be able to support a 61 lb center channel. I will only have a 1/2 on each side to make it fit so it will be tight. There will be plenty of room above it though. It's definitely heavy and will require two people to safely install it into the cabinet when it is completed.

One thing that I do find interesting is the two holes on the bottom. My RC-7 had them too but they were in the rear and equal distance from each other. The one's on the RC-64, there is one in front on just left of center and one on the back, just right of center. Why not put both of them in the center, with one on front and one in back? Maybe the horn is in the way.

icon-quote.gif
D-Rex:

I think it has to do with dispersion, as the horn in the smaller series is shorter, I could be wrong. I will be corrected.

icon-quote.gif
D-Rex:

I think it has to do with dispersion, as the horn in the smaller series is shorter, I could be wrong. I will be corrected.

I always considered it being more for looks than actually having a function. It certainly wasn't only for shipping, it was a piece of the speaker that covered the very center of the horn. The ones on my other reference speakers do have a shape that suggests they could perform a dispersion function. Maybe one of the Mods could chime in with the answer?

• Moderators

It certainly wasn't only for shipping, it was a piece of the speaker that covered the very center of the horn.

I see. Apparently they do not have it on the RF-83 series. Here are photos of the horn on my RF-83's. Nothing on my previous CF-2's either so I have never seen what you are referring to. Just a small mesh screen that is in front of the horn tweeter.

2318189080_46d77f7f71_b.jpg

2317379521_487c917961_b.jpg

I was very suprised when I picked mine up.

One thing that I do find interesting is the two holes on the bottom. My RC-7 had them too but they were in the rear and equal distance from each other. The one's on the RC-64, there is one in front on just left of center and one on the back, just right of center. Why not put both of them in the center, with one on front and one in back? Maybe the horn is in the way.

The two holes are for if you want to thread the bolt in front to tilt it up toward the seating area when you have it low. I use the hole in back to tilt it down since mine is above the tv kinda high.

• Moderators

The two holes are for if you want to thread the bolt in front to tilt it up toward the seating area when you have it low. I use the hole in back to tilt it down since mine is above the tv kinda high.

I understand what they are for, my question is why are they off center? As stated, my guess is that once you thread it into the speaker, if it the holes were in the middle instead of being off center, they would hit some of the components (maybe the horn) on the inside of the cabinet.

I see. Apparently they do not have it on the RF-83 series. Here are photos of the horn on my RF-83's. Nothing on my previous CF-2's either so I have never seen what you are referring to. Just a small mesh screen that is in front of the horn tweeter.

Youthman, yours does have the plastic piece, its behind the screen, I see it in the photo.

• Moderators

Youthman, yours does have the plastic piece, its behind the screen, I see it in the photo.

Oh ok. I see what you are talking about in the photos. I thought you meant something on the outside of that screen part. I just thought it was part of the tweeter. I'll look today closely at the horn on the RF-64 to see if it has the plastic piece as well.