Best klipsch speaker you can build

Normo

A friend of mine is a good cabinet maker and would build any cabinet I can get plans for. I have la scalas and would like the widest range, deepest and best imaging speaker klipsch made. But, if that speaker is a corner horn, that might not work. Can klipschorns be put against walls and not in corners? Any idea which would fit the bill as the best? Thanks Norm

Easiest build with the best sound without the difficulty of build or placement of a K-horn .... easy, but its technically not a Klipsch product

Cornscala

combines the Mid and High horns from a K-horn and the direct radiator of the Cornwall.

lots of info and plans here on the site.

The Cornscala is a great recommendation from what I've read about them. If you want to stay 100% true to a klipsch design, the Cornwall is probably the easiest to build with the best imaging and ease of placement (CORNer or WALL, right?)

BTW if you are unfamiliar with the Cornscala, it is essentially a Cornwall with a k-400/401 horn form the Lascala/Khorn.

Daniel

Normo,

Regarding whether Klipschorns can be used against a wall.... generally, no, they are designed for corner use. Some persons build false corners for Khorns, which are essentially partial walls which are attached to the speaker, but these present their own challenges and would dominate a room.

The Cornscala option mentioned above is a good option. It is not a Klipsch design, but a hybrid using Klipsch parts. It is sort of a 'best of both worlds' build joining the strength of bass from a Cornwall and the HF of a LaScala or Khorn. I've heard them and they do sound very good.

The basic Cornscala doesn't have the best WAF, but it is a simple build. Basically an approximately 2' x 2' ported bass bin with the K401 and K77 on top.

This speaker concept can be built more elegantly into what essentially is a Cornwall cab, using an alternate mid horn (to fit inside the cab) but retaining the same crossover points as LaScala and Khorn.

In terms of absolute best that your buddy might build, browse the forum to see posts for Jubilee. It's sound is like Khorn, kicked up a good notch. Absolute killer and does not require corner placement.

What I have used are the sum of all the other guys plans, sizes, specifications, recommendations and it depends on what tweeters, horns, drivers and woofers you use, endless combinations, I forgot to throw in the crossover.

I plan to take pictures along the way to detail the progress and all my mistakes.

If you want specifics, I can try

CB

If you have a good cabinet maker go for the Belles. I miss mine. The cabinet shape eleminates the flex inherent in the La Scala I's which yields tighter bass. People say they sound the same but I think the Belle is a little better but just my opinion. Also They are beautiful and can also be crossed over a little higher. It is the more rare of the Klipsch speakers and they just halted production in 2006.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/100061/1009862.aspx