Speaker Recommendations

tnt95

I am currenty using a Scott 299B to drive a pair of Heresy IIs. I've had this setup for a couple of years and enjoy it, but am looking for a bit more in the speaker department. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My setup is in the basement (approx 25'x14' space) and I play mainly vinyl (rock). Thanks.

Many would suggest Cornwalls as a very cost effective "upgrade". You might want to look for a pair of LaScala's. Your room is certainly large enough for Klipschorns, but your budget will likely be the major factor. Alot of folks who like rock & roll also really enjoy the Forte's or Chorus speakers. I would recommend that you find folks who have pairs of these speakers and see if you can arrange for a "listen" before making a decision. All said, do keep the Heresys!!

Difference between Forte-1 and Forte-II? Some, not major. Not "better" or "worse", per se. just slightly different. Bass is probably a bit better due to the massive passive radiator on the II's, but other than that, quite similar. I have a pair of I's and II's, and the placement and use is the same in both cases. Personally, I like the I's a little bit better. They sound more like the Heritage than the II's.

If the cosmetics are to your satisfaction, and they otherwise sound ok, make an offer of say between $350 and $400. Or start with $350 and see what you get out of it. Fair price? Stock? No dings, etc.? $400 max (market is a buyers market right now). Before you do caps, etc., listen to them "as is" for at least a month to get a feel for them. Then decide on caps, etc.