comparing promedia 4.1 and Midiland s4 8200 ??

akklipsch

Anybody have any insight?

I ordered Klipsch 4.1's because I know Klipsch has a reliable name. In rough comparison, midiland's have ac3 capability, but rms wise, it's pale in comparison (5.1 at 200 watts while Klipsch's 4.1 has 400 watts). And now Midiland's are even cheaper.

FYI, outpost.com has midiland s4 8200 for $279, free overnight shipping.

Can anybody compare these two? I can't find any good comparisons of both on the net anywhere...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the specs.. I would think The Pros would be better because the Midiland's sub only goes down to 40Hz while the 4.1 goes to 29 . Also, the Midiland sats are a 1-driver sat - they only have a 3" while Pros have a 3/4" tweeter in a MicroTractrix Horn and a 3". Also, the Midiland sub has crossover of 200Hz while I believe that the Pros are at 150Hz

Just a few thoughts while I do homework late at night.. er.. early morning.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

Pro 4.1 are comin!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info.

I found some reviews on the net finally:

http://www.zdnet.com/smartbusinessmag/stories/all/0,6605,2659973-9,00.html

and

http://www.techextreme.com/display.asp?ID=130&Page=2

The second one is a 2 part review. Unfortunately, the review is of the v.2-400 compared to the s4 8200, so I dunno if the new changes to the 4.1 would make a difference. Turns out BOTH sources say that the s4 8200 is the way to go, regardless of price difference (which is even worse, because midiland 8200 is cheaper than in the reviews).

I'm really stuck. I ordered from Klipsch on Friday like many of you, but now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order...

Might be a difference since teh new 4.1 have a revamped crossover in the sats. Just think tho.. 160W of bass.. 2 6.5" woofers.. mm. I'm sure once you get the Pros and listen to them.. you will forget about the Midis. One bad thing about speakers is that it is such a personal thing where it is it best to hear the different sets in a good environment

When I compare, I see Klipsch as paying attention to sound quality more and other at what the big hype is at that time. Sure Klipsch could make a Digital 5.1 system that would shake apart any attempt of competition, yet they go with simplistic and quality Also, being that the Pros drive with a lotmore power, they may be clearer at the higher volumes and have less distortion

Well.. thats enought for now.. I'm sure you will see more posts tomorrow

nite..

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Promise Ultra100

SBLive! 5.1

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ak, from what I've read, it's basically summed up like this... To the nit-picky-ears, the Klispch ProMedia v.2-400 sounds better for games, while the Midland S4 8200 sounds better for music. But, a set of speakers is a funny thing, because to one person it may sound great, but to another, it may sound not so good. I haven't seen any comparisons of the ProMedia 4.1, but with its enhancements, it probably means that the music side has improved and the game side is even better.

like paragon said...two 6.5 inch drivers..

thats the equivilant to a 13" subwoofer.

(in terms of loudness)

(in terms of low F it equals an 8")

once u hear these properly placed with

"not mp3s" but a good cd. u will think everything else sounds cheap crummy.

smile.gif at least thats how i feel right now.. yed yed yed yed

"im in the process of making a real subhorn! more info to come..."

------------------

-------------------------

All your BASS are belong to me. :)

:)

ah.. nice comparison

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Promise Ultra100

SBLive! 5.1

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

I know I'm out of subject, but if you got a problem with your Sony screen...Consider this as "normal"... Sony's screen are total crap!!! Quality is just...fine.... but the price is extremely high..

Ever heard of Viewsonic? These guys know what a good screen is. biggrin.gif

That's what I have, and if you can sell your sony to get a Viewsonic... well DO IT!

check http://www.pcworld.com if you dont beleive me.

Mike: that's one big claim you're making by saying that Sony monitors (the company known for their great TVs and other electronics) are "crap." In all the CompE labs at Tech, we use 21" Viewsonic or Sony monitors and I would have to say that the Sony FD Trinitron monitor has, by far, a much better picture than does the Viewsonic. But hey, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I just believe it is wrong to completely diss a product that has as fine a reputation as Sony.

-snap-

For the picture, I disagree, you'll get only better picture with Sony in their professional graphics series... But hey, those are worth a thousand dollars canadian only for a 19"... And you could get the same quality with ViewSonic for a lot less.

Look at this :

Viewsonic EF70 : 425$ Can.

Sony CPDE-200 : 535$ Can.

Both screens are Perfect flat are has the same specs except that the sony can make 1600 X 1200... But hey, who's crazy enough to run in 1600 X 1200 on a 17"? Plus the fact that the sony screen has a 1 year warranty!!!!!!!!!! Viewsonic has 3 ! biggrin.gif

Tell me again that sony screens are good quality...

Also, have you ever seen a viewsonic screen broken? Possible... But how many...I work in a store where we sell both and beleive me, if I look at the number of Sony screens that come back, it is awefull (From a well known company as you say).

And little thing... Trinitron was introduced by Sony first, right... But look who is the leader in technology right now. You surely know the problem about the 2 lines that appear in the screen with perfectflat screens. Well, ViewSonic is the only company so far (Unless Sony has a model that I never heard of) that removed those lines. (Model E70F if you want to know).

If you ask me, I would say to many people think SONY is always the best. Well, I got some news for these people..YOU ARE WRONG ALL THE WAY! Ok, ok, Sony's XBR televions are cool and possibly the best televions. (you pay for them though...) But it's a big mistake to think their products are all top of the line...

So I'll say it again.... Sony's monitors are crap (except for the high-end models at 1000$ and more) and you would NEVER be able to sell one to me... ViewSonic on Top.. Here you go.. biggrin.gif

OK>> STOP.. this is not going to be another thrash thread.. the thing wrong with the monitor is not the fault of the quality of the monitor and I will be getting it fixed over summer so don't go and start off when you do not know the whole story. Other than that.. the screen is awesome. Triny tubes are great... The lines are there for a reason and don't bother me one bit.. I have had a Triny Tube for 3 years now

Also.. wherever you got your info in teh warranties.. you are wrong. Sony has 3 Yr parts and labor

AND I ASK FOR THE GOOD OF THE BB>> STOP THE THRASHING BEFORE IT BEGINS

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Promise Ultra100

SBLive! 5.1

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

I think your forgetting something, does picture quality mean anything to you? The two lines on the screen don't bug me, as they are literally the thickness of a thin strand of hair. However I do agree sonys cost a bundle and (have less warranty?). Hitachi make good monitors too. I have a CM769 and the sharpness is really up there with the big boys. I'd really love to have a Sony GDM F400 thou, the quality on that monitor seems to be amazing.

-Gxcad

c>

Mike:

Every diverse company is especially good at one thing in their product line. Sony which manufactures the actual dvds, dvd players, computers, dsp chips, monitors, speakers, receivers, amps, car audio, and all kinds of other things happens to make great televisions and all sorts of other things and that is why they have that reputation that you talked about. Most people don't realize that you can't be great at everything. For example.. The amplifiers in their receivers aren't the best quality (except elite receivers or es whatever they call them) but they make up for it with other things on their receivers (not bashing sony receivers, they are very nice and of high quality this is my opinion, and from my experience).

Viewsonic makes computer monitors, maybe they make other things, but I've never heard of a viewsonic dvd player or a viewsonic car stereo. They make computer monitors so I'm sure they've had time to figure out how to rid us of two (2) little lines that are thinner than my hair. (their monitors are nice, not dissing viewsonic monitors)

I personally like the mitsubishi diamond scan series as I've had the pleasure of viewing a 19" model for about 10 years now.

(this is all my opinion, no bashing ment or felt)

mike

OK, just to get back to the original subject before Mike replies once again:

DO NOT trust computer hardware sites for reviews of speakers, unless they have built a strong credibility for themselves. These guys often don't know jack sh*t about sound, and don't have critical listening skills or well-developped ears. Of course, that could actually give them credibility and trustworthiness IF YOU ARE LIKE THEM. Alas, the simple fact that you looked long and hard enough to end up on this board shows that you care more about sound than they do, probably.

For God's sakes, the second article you posted states that the DTT2500 from CS is a "killer system" and that it's an "excellent pick for gamers and moviegoers"... COME THE HELL ON!!! This speakers system has a lot of gimmicks, but it's crap. First, to be able to enjoy 5.1 sound on this system, you need to buy the ultra expensive Soundblaster live! Platinum from... Creative, partner of Cambridge Soundworks in the marketing of the speakers!!! Second, the sound JUST SUCKS on those speakers. I know, I listened to them. It's crap. Really. So any review site that says anything else than "lots of gimmicks, possibility of 5.1, small size of speakers" as advantages of the DTT2500 just lost all credibility in my opinion. So I wouldn't tend to believe them for any of the other reviews either, or for their conclusion for that matter.

Now let me state clearly that I am not trying to defend the pros here. I don't know how the Midiland sounds, I've never heard it. The specs seem pretty clear, although they are often misleading. The only thing I wanted to say is trust sources like 3dsoundsurge or regular audio sites, or even some computer sites that actually know what they are talking about and really care about sound. But don't trust the others, as a general rule. I even had a local computer paper rate the DTT2500 as a clear winner over the promedias... I wrote to them, never got an answer. Wrote again, still no answer.

Here, I'll leave the soapbox to someone else.

Mmmm... I see, well since it's 11 pm right now and that I dont have anything more to do, I think I'm gonna answer to all of these the best I can.

OK ok ok... LOL! Gezz, If I knew that I would touch so much people by saying sony monitors are crap, I would have done it an other way.

Ok, "crap" should actually be replaced by nice quality, but price is God damn too high!

Okedoke... Lets start by the beginning would ya?

For ya Paragon :

This aint a trash thread at all, I'm doing this cuz I have nothing else to do and that I'm not killing anyone, if you dont want to take part in that, just dont read!

For the warranty... Here it is, black on white : http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/products/displays/soho/cpde200.html

Find anything about a 3 years warranty? Dont think so...

I actually know Sony makes 3 years warranty monitors, but woooooooo....I'm not stupid enough to buy a 1000$ monitor because of the 3 years warranty!

That's a good point for viewsonic, even their optiquest Q51 model (the smallest at 225$) has a 3 years...

Viewsonic 1 Sony 0 biggrin.gif

Your story? Well, excuse me but :

quote:

given you aren't an unlucky soul that gets a bad piece - hell.. I got a bad Sony monitor.. brand new. happens to everyone

I dont really care about what the truth is, actually, I dont care at all about the story, but it seems like you still got a bad one....

The lines? Well, ok I have to say it dosnt bother so much, but ask to a design guy that work on white sheets with really thin line, he's gonna be pissed off quick. And between you and me, do you prefer a screen with or without those funky lines?

Viewsonic 2 Sony 0 (Getting hot in here...)

Ok for you GxCad :

You like Hitachi? Ok cool, I aint got anything about Hitachi since I cant have something against them, I didnt see a single Hitachi monitor in Quebec in my life.

You would like to get a sony screen because the quality seems amazing? Well, you made a point there (Ya see I'm generous when I see you are right). a .22 dotpitch is actually really amazing. Just too bad it isnt flatscreen... frown.gif That would be really great. Just a thing, I would rather buy myself a new computer than a single screen, cuz 1000$ US is a little expensive.

Viewsonic 2 Sony 1 (getting interesting...)

For ya ssjDoh... Errr..what can I say... Did you say KDS? You...really...said...KDS? Cmon... Even I think Sony's screen are good quality compared to KDS... And who cares if there is a Trinitron tube in it... You think all trinitron tubes are the same? KDS isnt in the market at all! I would prefer to buy an HP! Price may be good, but like always... You have what you paid for...right?

No points here

And you ShipPlemw1 :

Viewsonic does actually make lcdprojectors, and yeah actually it is true that Sony makes a lot more products... But let makes this clear, each company has departments, and Sony is one of the company that got the biggest amount of money in the industry. So I really think they can get that technology getting further. And if you had read a little before and making some research about the F400 (which I'm quite impressed I have to admit) you would have found that Sony made a .22 before Viewsonic... So nobody cares about if the company makes baby radio and plasma screen at the same time. Each department has to be at their best. It's like saying that Yamaha makes really great motorcicles... And is it a secret that they are one of the best company for cd burners? They found a 16X 10X 40X before even Plextor which almost make only pc drives! Now try to find a link between Motorcycles and CD Burners....Good luck.

And for mitsubichi screens, I had a TV from them once witch broke after 3 years (which is not a good thing) but I really dont know for their monitors, they may be great value, may be not.

And are you sure you had a 19" for 10 years!? Cuz the DiamondTron tubes were not created 10 years ago, plus the fact that a 19" would have cost you thousands and thousands of dollars.

well people, still no points there, so it makes 2 for ViewSonic and 1 for Sony...

Since these are really poor results, I'll wait for other replies (and good arguments please) which could be discussed.

Thx a lot for your attention and have a nice day!

------------------

I'm the real Mike, and proud of it!