Affordable Quality Headphones

Mr. Blorry

I have been searching high and low for affordable headphones that may compliment my current K rig of Klf30s. Then I thought what a dunce I was for not checking here on the K forum! I have just read all the posts on the "headphone shopping" thread, and tend to agree with Mr. Garrison's opinion of the Sennheiser HD600s. They however, are quite expensive for this (currently) cost-conscious audiophile! I need to get a pair because I just moved into a tiny apartment, and can barely crack the big 30s. I am a fan of Sennheiser, and was considering the HD25s--has anyone heard these? Actually, even the 25s are a bit pricey for me; I would love to keep the cost below $130. Anyone have any suggestions? handlebar.gif

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

1 pair Walnut 1977 Heresys

I second the Grado SR-80 nomination for the money. You can find them cheap online. The next model up is sometimes heavily discounted as well. My friend has some 60s and comments are right in that they are not as comfortable.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Thanks! I'm gonna check out the Grados tomorrow! Mobile, you mentioned the model above the 80s as being discounted as well. My local Grado dealer has the SR 125 at $150 tax included. Does that seem like a bargain, and is the 125 worth the extra $$??

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

I have seen the SR-125 on sale for $110 and at that price...yeah. But to be honest, you will probably be VERY happy with the SR-80. Best thing to do is drop by the dealer and give each pair a listen on a good headphone output, preferably something close to what you will be using. If the SR-125 sounds worth it, for for it. I think you will probably be happy with the SR-80, though considering the price difference.

Check out some of the tube headphone amplifiers, by the way. Some of these beasts sound VERY good. In fact, the little ASL EL-84 tube headphone amp is a neat little unit and not very expensive. I havent heard too many reliability problems either.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-12-2002 at 12:05 AM

I fully agree with the Grado choice,have the RS1's and good lord do I love these earmuffs.Prefer them to the Sennheiser HD600's on music!

The SR line is all worthy,from the bottom priced to the top you cant really go wrong.Grado knows how do design cartridges and headphones.

Grado headphones sound better when used with a dedicated headphone amp. I use the little Creek and it works wonders with the Grados.Grado headphones improve more than Sennheiser one with a good headphone amp.

Just my two cents

TheEAR(s) Now theears

To be honest, I like the HD600s as well. But then again, if you want to spend $100, that isnt going to buy you a pair of HD600. I think the SR-80 are a great deal for the $$. Which Grados did you listen to? By the way, ole Ears is talking about one of the much higher model Grados. Besides, who's to know if ole Ears aint sampling through the Mags again?!?!? heh...

kh

Well, the search is over. Prior to making the store visit, I had finally talked myself into getting the lesser expensive SR 80s because at this point in time it's hard to justify spending an inordinate amount of cash for headphones, even though I know the other models are superior. I was so proud of myself; I had actually talked myself into something that was less expensive!

I find the little hole-in-the-wall store located in the posh section of town. This is the local Martin-Logan/Krell dealer whose customers and staff I feared would likely turn their noses on this riff-raff type Klipsch owner (sadly, my K dealer doesn't sell headphones anymore). I don't like snobbish boutique-type stores, but they are the only local Grado dealer. Actually, these guys were quite nice and very helpful--so much for my prejudice!

I bring along several types of music and qualities of recording to make a fair assessment. I used to only want to hear a Steely Dan disc when I auditioned speakers, but it finally dawned on me that I don't always listen to Steely Dan, nor do I always listen to crystal clear recordings! This time, I did bring along the latest Dan, but brought along some bland recordings, and some stuff that was downright rotten!

As good as the 80s were, it was the detail of the 125s that sold me. Where I may have had to struggle to hear a light ride cymbal or soft background vocal on the 80s, the 125s presented everything right out in front for me to choose which to listen. The bass is full and rich, and I have yet to hear a shrillness that reviewers had complained about. The one thing I do want to know is this break-in period. I had this discussion last year on this forum concerning my KLF 30s, and it was explained to me that it is more my ears becoming accustomed to the sound rather than the speakers actually being broken in like a fine pair of leather shoes. I proved that theory as well, when I discovered minor damage to my brand-new 30s that was caused by rough handling during transit from Hope. My friendly K dealer opted to have the speakers replaced, rather than offer a discount. While waiting the three months for the replacements to arrive, I continued to enjoy the original ones. Prior to packing them up, I marked their location on the floor. Once the new ones were in the exact same location on the floor, I auditioned several pieces of music that I often listened to on the originals. There was no difference whatsoever. The brand-new speakers sounded identical to the ones with three months of heavy usage. My question is, is this the same with headphones, or is this an entirely different concept altogether? These Grado 125s are great!

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 02-12-2002 at 07:06 PM

Mobile Home,

Listen Mobile Home I dont sample thru mags like you would like to think,I think you cant stand the fact an arrogant EAR has good quality gear most can buy.

I feel sorry to tell you I do have what I claim.What would I gain by saying I have someting I dont have?Its just plain dumb,makes no sense.What would I gain??? NOTHING

The headphones I have are...

Grado RS1's

Sennheiser HD600

Sennheiser Ovation 565(computer use,use these as I speak...err type LOL)

Koss PortaPro(for my Panasonic portable discman)

And a good ole Creek headpone amp(to go with the RS1's and HD600's)

end of story

The best headpones I ever heard are the STAX Omega II electrostatics.Simply put the very best,I dont have the green to get these.To pay over 8 grand Canadian for a set of headphones is only reserved for the wealthy who donk know what to do with money.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Lordy, Ears... Just giving you a bit of a hard time. But what in God's name are you doing with all those headphones? You mean the HD600 wont float the boat on the computer? You have obviously gone hog wild.

How many watts you need for the headphones? 100w? heh.... Ole Earz.

Dont take me too literally on here; you never know what I'll say.

kh

JD's 2 cents worth:

Sennheiser HD-600's are indeed superb. I have the HD-580's which are very similar. I'm quite happy with them. I tried Grado's before I bought the Senns. Too danged uncomfortable! The sound was great, but I couldn't stand having those heavy things clamped over my ears. I've heard some AKG's in the $200. and under category that I thought were perhaps nearly as good as my 580's, so I'd suggest trying them, too. I believe they were the K-500 (AKG). Of course, that's been a while back, so the model may be different.

------------------

JDMcCall

Thanks for the feedback, JD. Funny you mentioned comfort. I have yet to experience discomfort wearing the Grados. Maybe I need to wear them all day or something. Since I moved into this little apartment, I also had to change the way I practice guitar. I have my main guitar amp line out into the practice amp headphoned out into the old Sansui's mic input, then the Denon out into the Sansui. This way I can play to songs and hear myself (screw up). First of all, the sound improvement over the old crappy $1.98 headphones is staggering. Second, I get a bit enthusiastic when I play, and have a tendency to jump around. Well, it's more like lump around. The Grados not only hang in there, but they never once hurt my ears. The old POS headphones would bother me after only five minutes. Maybe my head is the same size as the test head at the Grado shop. Here's something though--I never even put the Sennheisers on my head while at the high-end stereo boutique. They had all the models, and I did have a look at the sexy HD600s, but since I couldn't begin to afford them, why put myself through the unnecessary agony? Question for you JD: Which model of Grado did you audition, and for how long were they on your head? I have to set the adjusters all the way to the smallest setting for proper fit! I'm an average sized guy too! And, I DO NOT have a pointy head!

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 02-13-2002 at 03:14 AM

I haven't checked this forum in a while. I LOVE my Grado SR-125s! The only reason that I was hesitant to buy them at first was all the reviews of how uncomfortable they were. Guess what people? The headband is flexible. You CAN bend it to shape your head no matter how weird you head is shaped. My head is kinda shaped like a pear and they fit fine. Want a good "headphone disc"? Try UFOrb by the band The Orb. Fantastic! You WILL get dizzy listening all the way through. Imagine Pink Floyd meeting King Tubby with Steve Hillage on guitar making a soundtrack for interstellar exploration with a bit of UFO conspiracy thrown in for good measure. Plus there's a Marcus Garvey joke and a refence to Woody Allen's Sleeper and that's always a good thing.

Eric

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Mr. B,

I listened to the 80's and 125's. Like I said, they sounded great, but I just don't like 'phones that press against my ears. (I know; the proper term is pinna, but that sounds obscene.) cwm16.gif I didn't listen to 'em for long, 'cause they were heavy and because my previous 'phones, AKG K-270's were hot, heavy and pressed against my ears, too. I've got a big, fat headbone, so maybe that exacerbated (hey, that sounds dirty, too!) the poor fit.

As to comparitive sound quality, it's hard to say. At first blush, the Grados probably were more impressive, with bigger bass and hotter highs, but to me, the Sennheisers were perhaps more smooth, while being equally extended top and bottom.

The Sennheiser 570's might suit you. I've seen them in J&R for $130.

------------------

JDMcCall

just my two cents...I have grado 80's and the little creek headphone amp and they sound great and have been quite comfortable for me to date...before these I was stupid enought to buy the senn 500 fusion's...these were absolutley the worst sounding headphones I have ever heard! booming, bloated bass that obscured everything else...just to make them listenable I had to plug them into my integrated amp and turn down the bass contrl almost all the way...and I love bass!...I have thought of saving up to buy a grado RS or the senn 600's...maybe next christmas...warm regards and congrats on the grados they are truly great sounding phones!...tony

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs*Marantz 7T preamp*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)*MSB silver digital director (for switching and jitter reduction)*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck*SAE MK VIII tuner*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable*Monster M550i for all interconnects*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner