HornEd is looking for another KLF C7

HornEd

Very perceptive, as usual, Avman! And that is why the C7's are mounted vertically... matching the orientation of the other mid-range horns in the front sound wall array. And, of course, the C7's are mounted close to the ceiling where their little 8" woofers contribute a tight enveloping background to the trio of KLF 30 Mains (L,C,R). By official party line standards, that gives five timbre matched Legends joining the seven foot Dual Ultra Tower's bass. Ye Garrards and little Fischers of my youth... this is HT for the new millennium!

Ah, Seb, my background in photography has been film in 35mm and medium format. In "retirement" the challenge of bringing digital photos into my computer system and six-color large format archival printer (prints will last 200 years before showing signs of fading under museum specs)... without having to hassle with the arcane aspects of high end drum scanners.

After much experimenting, I have turned to using a matched pair of Olympus E-20's with a set of every extension lens made for that camera. That allows me a 5 megapixel photo with a lens array that ranges (in 35mm terms) from 35mm to 420mm... plus macro. The E-20 is an SLR (single lens reflex) with an exceptionally fine and fast zoom lens. Shutter speeds are available at over 8,000th of a second. The cameras are equipped with IBM 1GB CF hard drives and a 128MB SM card... which means that I can take over 300 16"x20" photos without changing media. Both cameras are equipped with special battery/grips which provide the kind of power that high speed digital photography eats up. Of course, various lighting and tripod configurations, plus an electronic wired remote round out the goodies.

The reason for two identical cameras for event photography is that if one fails for any reason, a complete backup is at hand. Also, sometimes I will shoot a complex event with an additional photographer... and like matching timbre in speakers... consistency pays in professional grade photography.

The Olympus digital offerings are superior to that of my old familiar brand of Nikon. Higher end pro gear has six megapixels and great quality... but not the versatility of the E-20. You might say it was like choosing to build an HT system out of Legends rather than some more upscale audiophile precision-and-a-half speaker. There was a lot of learning that I could get out of it. A chance to explore for myself what the experts said I should and should not do.

With these cameras I can write and illustrate a 200 page book in my computer and burn it onto a CD-RW and feed it to a Heidelberg DI (Direct Imaging) press and bindery... out comes a perfect bound paperback book of great quality and low production cost.

I have been encouraged by old friends and colleagues to come out of retirement and publish short run esoteric works on niche topics. If I can get a bit healthier... that is probably what I will do. Thanks for asking.

I guess I have always been a peg that looked to fit more than one kind of hole...cwm16.gifcwm30.gif HornEd

Good point, Boa... one that I laid to rest when I used the larger KLF 10's for Front Effects speakers. I found that the difference in height, width, and timbre (yes, even with matched mid-horns)... and reduced volume create a somewhat ethereal secondary soundstage that "frames" the primary soundstage of the "3MAINS" to create the effect of being in a much larger space.

This does wonders for 5.1 (which is converted to 6.1) programming of action adventure movies or larger concert venues... and yet, intimate tight scenes come through as intended. In my opinion, if the Front Effects effectively smear the primary sound stage... they haven't been set up correctly.

Hope that helps... thanks for question, Boa... it keeps me on my toes knowing that people of your experience and perception may be watching. cwm24.gif HornEd

PS: I sent my mom a five pound heart filled with See's soft centers. Her 94 year old teeth do okay with the nuts... it's her two year old teeth that are the problem.cwm38.gif The founder, Mary See was a friend of the family so I grew up with mammoth bars of chocolate that would last months whittling off a bit at a time. So, it seemed right to send some to Texas from the See's Candy factory just a few miles south as a reminder that she is loved.

HornEd,

Great to see you back! Just in case you decide that only two more KLF-30s will do as front effects speakers, I have my set on sale at Ebay right now. Of course, if you do that, you could probably sell tickets to your living room (I'd pay to hear that!), though I imagine it would be major overkill.

thanks

George

GeorgeC, as good as that sounds, I think I will stick with the KLF C7's as Front Effects. I've tried a number of speakers... including 10's and 30's but Front Effects, IMHO, are not about muscle... but about finesse and a slightly higher timbre. I tried the C7's tonight and they seem a lot better suited to be Front Effects instead of primary centers.

The C7 is an odd duck in the Klipsch pond. Rated as a match for the Legends 10, 20 & 30, the C7 has no common tweeters or woofers with any of the Legend series. It appears that they were put together for a different speaker group and got a fresh lease on production line life when they blended so well with the Legends.

BTW George, I may have a line on someone interested in your KLF-30's. I'll try to check it out tomorrow evening.

Lucky JohnL was the source of my latest C7 addition. John was trying for one black C7 on three different auctions. He won all three... I took one black, he's keeping one black... and may be willing to deal on the oak one... cwm35.gif

Well, I have a whole lot of tweaking and SPL monitoring to do to bring the C7's up to speed. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-15-2002 at 03:01 AM

HornEd,

What are you going to do with your SB-2's? If you want to part with them, I might be interested in using them for my front effects. I'm still looking for some oak Forte II's for the rears.

By the way, thanks for your photos and instructions on the speaker stands. By the way, I know you were curious about the Caddymania thing. I do collect (sort of) Cadillacs, but I only have two, due to space (and money) limitations, a 76 Eldo Convertible, and a new Deville DTS. The DTS has a Home Theater, of sorts, since the Navigation system has a DVD player (usable only when the car is in park!)and it has an 8-speaker Bose system (too bad Klipsch never did auto sound).

For the moment, Caddymania, the SB2's are in the motorhome as part of a continuing experiment to get better sound in an awkward space. I suspect they will be replaced someday soon, if so, I'll let you know. Actually, the SB2's did a good job as front effects... but the C7's sensitivity and better timbre match make the present system a wonderful experience. Maybe a little too good... I could sit and enjoy them all day!cwm32.gif HornEd

• 4 weeks later...

I have a C7 in Mahagony I paid $300 for a few months ago. I bought it for my bedroom system to match my kg4 mains and RS-3 front and rear surrounds, but on my cabinet it fires over my head and can't be adjusted properly in the given space. I replaced a KV-3 which I sold and wished I hadn't. It didn't have the feet, but everything else is in very good condition. I'm just looking to break even on it, so you can have it for the $300 I paid plus shipping.

Horn Ed,

Here is where I just got mine. I checked out this vendors ratings on Audio Survey, Bizrate, Gomez and they were very highly rated. Mine came in 3 days, perfectly shipped. Couldn't be more pleased with OneCall's service. Hope this helps!

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_12928.htm

(this link should take you straight to the C-7 - if it doesn't, type in Klipsch in the search box)