Front three in a Home Theater setting...

SilverSport

Quartets or Heresy Mains in Home Theater

I am in another quandary...Quartets or Heresy Mains in a Home Theater situation...

I will listen mostly to movies but some DVD concerts/Music...

I have available to me, Quartets or Heresys for Mains...

if Heresys, I may use a third Heresy for the Center channel...this
would require my replacing at some time the K-77s with Bob Crites
CT-125 tweeters as my single Heresy already has this...

if I use the Quartets I have currently a KLF-C7 for Center duty...I
know an Academy is a better match but I no longer have one...I may look
for one at some point should these be the Mains but I would like your
opinions and experiences...

currently I am using KG 5.5s and the KLF-C7 for the front three...not bad but I seem to want to always tweak things a bit...

Thanks for any help you care to share...

Bill

I think some have described a Quartet as a Heresy with more bass if that makes a difference to you.

...that might have been me...thanks guys...I need to stop fussin' with this stuff and just sit back and enjoy...perhaps if I just sold some of it off...naaaah!...thanks really for the feedback...it is much appreciated!... [:D]

Bill

My son uses 3 Heresy's for the front; just make sure if you have a tube television to get it as far as possible from it because it will distort the color/picture on the TV. If you have Plasma/LCD, disregard~

I am running KLF-20's directly beside the Furniture housing a Sony KV-32XBR200 Trinitron WEGA. This TV is about 10/11 years old. HUGE massive heavy picture tube. Ocassionally, I'll loose color for a few minutes - but it always returns - and happens maybe once every few months. I originally thought the picture tube might be going - but the other day I dropped a paperclip on top of the speaker cabinet and it moved - like it was being magnetically drawn.

Is my ocassional color distortion the result of my speaker placement? (see page 111 in the HT pictures thread for my set up).

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/1160432.aspx

• Moderators

That would be a tough choice for me, I was thinking heresy's considering I have never heard Quartets, I have heard a KLF-C7, to me it was very close to an Academy.

If you have the Heresy's try them up front with the C7, I know it don't match but maby it would give you an idea how they sound compared to the Quartet.

I would think 5 Heresy's and a sub would make a very nice HT, or 3 up front and something else for rears if that makes it easier ?

Little brother is over helping me tile a shower in the basement...he's
doing most the work (small area) SO...I get to play DJ and speaker
swapper...listening to the Quartets is the more familiar sound but
after my ears set in the KGs sound very nice as well...I switched in
the Heresy Center with the KLF-C7 and changed those
up...A&B...every time I thought the Heresy sounded better, I put in
the KLF-C7 and thought...a bit different but not taking the back seat
to the Heresy (for a Center)...same with the Quartets and KG
5.5s...couldn't decide which I really liked better for a Home Theater
application...right now it looks like I will keep the KG 5.5s as Mains
with the KLF C-7 Center for this Home Theater...thanks for the
feedback...speaking of backs...shlepping these heavy speakers up and
down two flights of stairs has mine aching...biggrin.gif

...but since he's still working...perhaps I will slide the Quartets in with the KLF-C7 again...[;)]

Bill

Hey, Bill,

Pull the woofers out of the KLF C-7 to make sure the bucking magnets are still attached. Sometimes the glue will let go and the magnet falls loose in the cabinet. Reattaching a loose magnet with epoxy may help your TV color problem.

I have owned all of the speakers you listed as options. My first choice would be three Quartets up front. I like the tractrix squawker and better bass of the Quartet. Second, I guess, would be all-Heresy front. I really prefer all three front speakers being identical. KG's are good, but would be last. You could probably buy a pair of Quartets for what you could sell the KLF C-7 for.

I have compared KLF C-7's to Academy's and much prefer the KLF C-7.

OR. . . . .

I just found a pair of Forte's for sale on Chicago craigslist for $350. Buy these and use a Quartet for center. Sell the KLF C-7 for $350 and you're even.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/1024618194.html

Not affiliated, yada, yada, yada . . . .

I have tried the following in the days since writing this thread:

Quartets and KLF-C7
Quartets and Heresy

KG 5.5s with KLF-C7
KG 5.5s with KLF-C7

Powered by an Outlaw Audio 1050 AVR with crossovers set at 80Hz (The 1050 only lets me set the crossover and it is the same for all speakers...my KLF-C7 are closest to 80Hz so that is my setting) and backed with a Klipsch Sub-12 subwoofer set to its highest crossover setting (no bypass) so it gets the most of whatever (80Hz) the 1050 will send it...using a Yamaha DVD S700 with component connection to an old school 36 inch Sony Trinitron tube TV (for now)

When I have tried the four different set ups, I can hear their sonic signature voice and there were times that I felt I couldn't really distinguish the Center from the Mains (good) but other times I could...some recordings were good...sounding wonderful with ANY of the set ups and some not so good...sounding...well...not so good...;)...

I chose at this time not to try the three Heresys across the front as it would cause my little brother to disassemble his Home Theater to get me two more Heresys to form the front three...as a side note...in the past I tried three Heresys across the front as well as five Heresys and it sounded wonderful...BUT...there were some size considerations...ALSO...in the past I tried Quartets and a popbumpered Academy (that I no longer own) across the front and it too sounded very nice...but the Academy has since moved on...

Back to the decision at hand...I think I will leave the KG 5.5s as Mains (for now of course) as they seem to be a bit more open although lacking a bit of middle (perhaps the two way versus three way sound?) with the KLF-C7 for a Center...

Thanks for listening and for the feedback...as always...I welcome any advice or thoughts you care to share...

Bill

Hey Bill...thanks for the info...interesting thoughts...when I tried the Quartets maybe I didn't get them placed properly and you know that rear facing passive needs to be placed properly...thoughts on your placement of the Quarts...I had been using about a foot off the wall and toe'd in a bit...works on my upstairs 2 channel systemsbut I didn't "feel the love" when trying it this way on the Home Theater in the basement...

Thanks for the info on the local Forte' but they are the originals with the Exponential Horn and not the IIs with the TracTrix Horn... I'll check the KLF-C7 for its magnets too...seems when I turned off the TV and turned itback on it was fine and seemed to do this with me switching out gear and all...

Bill

it appears for me everything old is new again...looks like I will going with three Heresys across the front...my Center already has a BEC CT-125 tweeter so I just ordered another pair so these three Heresys will be a close as possible to each other...when does this stop???...[;)]

"Hello, my name is Bill and I am a Klipsch-A-Holic."

Bill

I just finished installing the BECtoo Crites CT-125 tweeters...I tried
the CT-125 in one and the stock AlNiCo K-77 in the other...I thought
the CT-125 might be a bit bright, that I seemed to prefer the original
stock K-77 and the speaker seemed to be a bit more balanced this way...

...but this is unfair as I am used to the sound of the stock K-77 and the CT-125s are brand new...

...After putting in the second CT-125 both Heresys sounded normal if a
bit more articulate than before...hmmm...perhaps the brightness I
thought I heard was just the differences in two tweeters in two
speakers playing at the same time...sound is more balanced as well...

Oiled up the stained Birch plywood and placed them back into the Home
Theater setting with a Heresy Center that also has a CT-125 tweeter and
a DeanG upgraded crossover...

My little brother who is over tiling a shower for me asked me "Do you
like those better than your KG 5.5s?"...I replied I like the KGs but I
must just prefer the Heritage three way sound as I like this
better...he then replied back "This is the best combination I have heard in your Home
Theater of the different speakers you have tried"...

I have to admit...it sounds very even, nice and I like it too...

Then he reminded me that I'll like it better when the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus arrives...it never ends...biggrin.gif

Bill

Bill,

Great to hear that you are enjoying the speakers with the new additions to them... [Y]

So did you order a new sub from Outlaw? Will you run the LFM and the Sub 12 for HT duties?

When you had the Corn clones did you have them in the HT or the main floor of the house?

James