Enclosed Khorns

Crossman

I did this to mine when I had them, and to me the bass was diminished. I was also told afterwards that you still need the false corner for proper wave propogation, I don't know if taht is correct or not, but I do know that when I just sealed them, the bass was lacking

I will have to agree with you. I devised a temporary enclosure and they sounded better from the back than the front. I am currently in the process of making one false corner (I have one natural corner)

OK, there is no way if you enclose the backs properly with no air leaking and have braces, just to make for sure the bass comes out through the sides would it be less... That is BS! Sorry, but true..You must have done it wrong! Forgotten the top or bottom areas or not sealed at all.

Yes, you still need a corner.. By no means does this mean you can now put them 3 feet out into your room.

BUT, and this is the advantage... You can have them close to the walls, within say 6 inches or less, and tilt them perhaps a little and NOT, I repete NOT, have to have them snug in the corners.

It makes 100% sense for klipsch to do this for rooms with chair rails or fancy modlings that would require the removal of it before placing them in corners. If you go back in the history Paul W Klipsch, did this as well at one time. My guess is the added weight of the wood and not everyone needed it, they cut it out of production. Personally, I would do this everytime if availiable from the factory, it really makes the bass come out into the room.

Roger

OK, there is no way if you enclose the backs properly with no air leaking and have braces, just to make for sure the bass comes out through the sides would it be less... That is BS! Sorry, but true..You must have done it wrong! Forgotten the top or bottom areas or not sealed at all.

Yes, you still need a corner.. By no means does this mean you can now put them 3 feet out into your room.

Are you saying that inclosing the backs is an improvement even if they are put in corners or have false walls? (NOTE: I'm only asking because I am interested in getting the best sound that is possible for my situation)

Crossman

YES. Sorry I seemed so 100% sure of myself before, but I know 100% I am right here.

And it is obvious why, Your making sure the seals are as if the speakers are coupled to the wall itself. Put the speakers back into place in a corner, and your good to go.

Also, if your building, make sure your walls are pretty solid too. You do not want the drywall to flex.... Extra 2x4's help 4 feet out both directions for maximum bonus points! LOL For the people with cinder blocks you do not know how easy you have it!

Last, but not least, DO NOT build a attached to the wall bookcase between K horns.. The only real mistake I made in my house..and a HUGE mistake with K horns. Least I can admit I goof up too!

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/296458/False%20Corner1.gif

Yes and Indy is correct Accoding to the Dope From Hope.

I think Colter posted a cleaner copy.

But you need 4 feet to complete horn, sealing the cabinets eleminates the need to seal tight to a wall but does not eliminate the need for a corner. I have seen pictures of 8 - 13 feet worth of horn built into floors to get down to 10Hz.