The worst cd you ever heard...

Mighty Favog

It's poll time again.

What is the worst engineered cd you've heard. Not refering to bad and/or distastefull music but bad recording quality.

I'll start- Carole King's Greatest Hits. This thing was definitley mixed on Auratone speakers, a real shame too.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 03-12-2002 at 03:40 PM

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the "live" stuff can be unusable crap that is painful to listen to at ANY volume level, though some is fine. Most of the CD's I buy are electronic in birth and they have the cleanest, most pure sounds you can imagine, maybe TOO pure for some. Some hard rock can just be overwhelming, and not nice to listen to.

My first nomination would be Dwight Yoakums latest CD, "Tomorrow's Sounds Today". Now mind you, I'm a Dwight Yoakum fan. I have all of his studio CD's going back to his debut, "Guitars, Cadilacs, etc, etc, but the sound on this new one is HORRIBLE. Flat, cardboard thin and two dimensional. No depth, no bass, no life. Sounds like AM radio without the noise. How anyone who makes their living selling sound could let this travesty out on the street is beyond me. I have to wonder if they even listened to the finished product first.

Maybe my copy is atypical, because the reviews I've seen don't mention poor sound quality. Shoot, maybe it's one of those secretly released copy-protected CD's. Who knows? All I know is it sounds like s**t. I've got recordings made in the 1950's that sound better than this. In fact, they're some of the best sounding CD's I have. Noisey yes, but ALIVE!

------------------

JDMcCall

I agree with the Carole King, great music, terrible recording. Seals-Crofts greatest hits is the same way, terrible back ground noise. Led Zeppelin and Van Halen also have some piss poor recording on some of there albums. I bought a Motels c.d. this past weekend and it's excellent. Very good dynamics, low noise, great imaging. Wish they were all like that. Please no comments about the Motels either, I loved the eighties.

David Bowie - Changes.

Couldnt believe how bad it was. I think the recording equipment was in a different building from the artist!

Talk about muted!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Listening to CD's on Kornerhorns can be quite revealing. I have about 1300 cd's from all genres with music from the 60's to the present. I would say about a third are not the easiest to listen to. Still have a pair of vintage Cerwin Vega 211r's from my youth. Back when I was young and dumb, I never noticed the difference because I usually listened at pretty high spl. But having the k-horns sure opened my eyes and ears to what i was missing (or not missing).Eyes.gif

Bigdnfay

I was VERY dissapointedFrown.gif with Led Zeppelins #4 album.I purchased the "Remastered" version, and I'll be damned if it did'nt sound worse than the original.

------------------

KLF 30s front (Bi-Wired)

KLF 10s rears

KLF C-7 center

KLF C-7 Rear Center

SVS Ultra Sub

Sunfire Sub Amp

Onkyo TX DS787

Onkyo integra M506RS

Onkyo DX C370 6 disc

Monster HTS 3600 Line Cond.

Better Cables Silver wires & connects

quote:

Originally posted by matthew2:

All metallica CD's before the black album were really bad! Harsh, no bass. The band fixed their recording's in 1990, which is good because now you can at least here James Voice! Bass, guitar, everything.

I agree with you there.

...And Justice for All was the worst though. They turned the bass off completely which resulted in a harsh guitar and artifical drum sound. However James' voice sounded just as good as the Black Album.

...And Justice for All was the worst though. They turned the bass off completely which resulted in a harsh guitar and artifical drum sound. However James' voice sounded just as good as the Black Album.

Hell, I thought the Bass on the Justice album was a overbloated mess, they sounded the same way live that year as well. Overbloated sloppy mess.

(Seen 'em the year before outdoors, sounded great!)

This is really too bad, because all the good Metallica was BEFORE 'Justice for all'.

Anything other Metallica is just bad, whether it sounds great or not.

You can go ahead and disagree, but I've been listening to Metallica since 1983 and gave up on them in '90.

They turned their backs on their roots, therefore they

SUCK!

I had Rolling stones 'Satanic majestie's Request'

(The Sargent Pepper Ripoff) it sounded pretty good,

considering the time frame and the particular album.

The 'Tubes' first album. Not good.

I have the MFSL remaster, more like the LP.

The same goes for 'Young and Rich', though it is better on cd, the LP kicks it's butt.

I read somewhere that the first generation redbook

cd's of older recordings had the LP RIAA EQ curve

in the original cd masterings.

It could be why some of these older CD's are so flat and dead.

THANX!

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Hell, I thought the Bass on the Justice album was a overbloated mess, they sounded the same way live that year as well. Overbloated sloppy mess.

That's not what I meant. The bass guitar was turned down very low (James and Lars were pissed at Jason or something like that). Because of that they needed to increase the bass from the guitars and the drums. That resulted in the bloated bass sound. The songs on Justice are great though. It's too bad they're tainted by the terrible production.

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

This is really too bad, because all the good Metallica was BEFORE 'Justice for all'.

Anything other Metallica is just bad, whether it sounds great or not.

You can go ahead and disagree, but I've been listening to Metallica since 1983 and gave up on them in '90.

They turned their backs on their roots, therefore they

SUCK!

I more or less agree that their best albums were from the 80's. (Puppets is the best album ever!) But I wouldn't say they suck now. The Load albums aren't great but I can tolerate them. I can respect them for experimenting and moving forward with their music (S&M was great). It's better than just recording the same album over and over again. They would be boring. Heard Slayer's latest album? First thing I thought after listening to it was "I've heard this before." They haven't changed their style one bit since the 80's and now all their new albums are so predictable and boring. That doesn't show they're sticking to their roots, it shows a lack of creativity.

Ok guys,here goes...

Gotta agree with Mike Stehr on the Metallica issue,anything after And justice for all just isn't real Metallica,just doesn't have the same "feel" to it.

And justice for all is WAY too bass heavy-shakes the pictures of the wall,an ok album but not anywhere near the quality (not recorded quality) of Master of Puppets or Ride the lightning.

Does anyone have the Kill'em all cd??I can't even stand to listen to it,just a poorly recorded cd.

Now for the other bad recordings...early Judas Priest,Vinny Vincent Invasion,early Iron Maiden,Twisted Sister,and Dio to name a few.Just plain,flat,recordings that don't put me in the "mood" for some hard listening tunes.

Jeff

oh...and this is for you rowooo-"take the L out of lover and its overrrrrrrr! I too am a Motels fan. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by JCturboT on 02-12-2002 at 08:16 PM

I have Kill 'em all with the 3 bonus tracks, nothin' special, better than ride the lighting soundwise, IMO.

I definetely agree with your opinion about Slayer,

but they been rehashin' for 12 years, and pretty much died when Dave Lombardo left.

But I bought the New Slayer anyway, though it is a Brite Bastard.

Metallica OTOH, turned their backs on the very thing that made what they are, and they STILL show a lack of creativity.

Both these bands Peaked are far as creativity in the Late Eighties, so what's your point?

I've listened to the newer Metallica, IMO it's sickening.

Respect them for turning their backs on their roots,

not me.

After the whinnie Sh*t that Lars put Napster through,

and you respect them?

This clearly shows he is more worried about profit margin than creativity.

Retort if you wish.

THANX!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-12-2002 at 09:55 PM

i'll have to go listen to some of my stones again, but Exile on Main St doesn't impress on me as a very good recording.

& their Bridges to Babylon concert dvd in dolby 5.1 is by far the worst recorded concert dvd i own. albeit it was in a big nonacoustical dome (twa now americanair dome).

good filming & visuals though. & saw this concert at qualcom stadium in diego & it was great. even in the middle of el nino. cwm32.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page