Do I have original Heresy or II version?

skaelin

Hi All,

I just purchased my first pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers. I don't know if they are Heresy Is or IIs. The serial numbers on the back are 87T224 and 87T230. From looking at some of the other posts, I guess this means that the speakers were built in 1987, right? And if that's the case, does this mean that I have Heresy IIs?

Thanks,

Steve

You've got original Heresy speakers.

Heresy II,s date from 1985.

Bill is right in mentioning original Heresy have removable backs secured with screws to the cab.

Also, original Heresy drivers are mounted to the back of the motorboard. Heresy II drivers are mounted from the front and have non-removable backs.

skaelin,

you bet. Heresy's are very good sounding speakers.

At some point down the way, it would be good to replace the caps in the crossovers. It's not an expensive or difficult proposition at all. Decades old caps have drifted off spec over the years and become resistive. After you enjoy your speakers for a while and replace the caps. It will be like having new speakers and they will sound like they did right out of the factory.

Some folks do significant "upgrades" on crossovers, but my recommendation is to do a stock replacement. The improvement in sound is impressive just to restore to factory spec.

I just sent an email to Bob Crites about getting some new crossovers. Any other worthwhile upgrades? --Steve

Bob is just the guy to check with on crossovers. He can supply parts for a DIY project, recap your crossovers, or build new ones if you want to keep the originals intact as they are.

On other upgrades, I think the CT-125 tweeter, also available from Bob, is a worthwhile upgrade. It's a drop in replacement for the K77 and to my ears is more realistic sounding than the K77. When using the CT-125 there is a 4500hz mod, an easy little thing, to change the crossover point from mid to tweeter. I have enjoyed that one, too, but I would suggest to not get in a hurry about any of those, though. Enjoy your Heresy's and get familiar with the factory sound as a reference for anything else you might do. After knowing what your favorite music sounds like with the "factory" Heresy, you will be able to appreciate any possible improvement offered by upgrades. Any Klipsch Heritage (even real vintage) speaker is going to sound fabulous [Y] at factory spec. Fresh caps will take care of that, as close as can be accomplished to spec.

Enjoy.

Thanks Daddy Dee! I just sent an email to Bob Crites about getting some new crossovers. Any other worthwhile upgrades? --Steve

One of best (simple and very cost effective) things to do for the Heresy-I is to make sure the braces and back are properly sealed. With the back off check for gaps where the braces meet, especially along the motor board. You can usually fill those gaps with some carpenters glue, or if excessive, bondo. Then seal the braces along the edges where they run along the cabinet sides, motor board, and top/bottoms. Use a thick bead of carpenters glue and let dry 24 hours. To seal the back panel, use speaker gasket tape (closed cell type) from parts express. Apply the tape to the bracing leaving no gaps. By doing this you will seal the cabinet as originally designed and constructed and it will improve the bass. Improving the bass response otherwise? You can use the K-28 woofers which are currently used in the Heresy-III's. You can also unscrew the midrange K-55's and replace the gasket in the neck well of the horn. Bob has the gaskets. Klipsch parts has the K-28's. Also make sure all terminal connections on the crossover and the wire connectors from the terminal block to the crossovers are clean and tight.

i have a pair of heresy I and a pair of heresy II. I got the original heresy back in 1983 and haven't done anything to them. I guess it's time for a tune-up so to speak. what is recommended? and something like crossovers...is that something easy to do, for someone like me that is an "in front of the speaker" guy.

If you want to do a real upgrade to your Heresy IIs, the H-3 upgrade kit is really worth it. I did my centre channel Heresy II and I'm so happy with the results that I'm saving up to do the other three speakers next.

The upgrade kit includes a new tweeter with horn, new squawker driver (re-use the existing horn), new woofer and new and improved crossover. You'll immediately notice the improved bass and midrange clarity.

If you want to do a real upgrade to your Heresy IIs, the H-3 upgrade kit is really worth it.  I did my centre channel Heresy II and I'm so happy with the results that I'm saving up to do the other three speakers next.

The upgrade kit includes a new tweeter with horn, new squawker driver (re-use the existing horn), new woofer and new and improved crossover.  You'll immediately notice the improved bass and midrange clarity.

Hi Islander,

How do you like your H3s? I really like my Heresy Is so I'm just wondering what a pair of 3s sound like in comparison. Thanks. Anybody know where I can hear them in the Santa Cruz/San Jose area? There's no dealers nearby that carry them.

• 11 years later...

Groomlakearea51, I own a pair of Heresy's made in 1979 and am interested in your simple recommendations to help improve the sound quality of my speakers.  With the exception of the corners, the braces look to be well sealed from the factory.  With a flashlight, I can even see the sheen of the adhesive Klipsch used on the braces.  But for the sake of uniformity, I would apply the carpenter's glue all along the braces.

As far as the gaps along the motor board, I do have some that an be seen when you take off the grill and look at the speaker from the front.  Are you recommending applying the carpenter's glue on the front?  I think it can be done and not affect the placement of the grills, but I just want to make sure I understood you correctly. 

I will be buying the speaker gasket and midrange gaskets as well.  Maybe at some point, I'll replace the woofer, too.  But I'm thinking they're fine for now.  Thanks!

On 2/10/2009 at 12:01 PM, BigStewMan said:

i have a pair of heresy I and a pair of heresy II. I got the original heresy back in 1983 and haven't done anything to them.

Same here ----------mine are 77 and 79

• Like 1