TX-NR905 SOUND QUALITY??

Mike Price

I am about to upgrade my receiver , and am considering going with the ONKYO TX-NR905 , which i can get for $899 right now , the receiver gets great reviews from what I've read , but I was wondering if any one here had experience with it , I will be using a set of cornwall-II's as mains and am very interested in good sounding 2 channel audio , my other option was to go with an Integra DTC-9.8 , with external amplification , considering the efficiency of the cornwalls , and the heft of the internal amps in the TX-NR905 , I believe it will suffice , but if theres any reason the DTC-9.8 will sound noticeably better I will definitely go that route. I'm not looking to get concert levels here , but would like to have excellent sound quality for music , and still have all the latest codec for HD movies , so if anyone has experience with either of these I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject , thanks.

I have the TX-NR1000 and the TX-DS989....I used to have the TX-DS939.

The TX-NRXXX line sounds as good as your going to get form SS gear in the less than 1K price range.

The DTC-9.8 is not a reciever...it's a rpocessor/preamp..which means you need a 7 channel amp to go with it.

I've owned alot of Onkyo gear, TX 805 is the most current and I have no complaints, if fact I was looking at the same 905 on e-bay, just to get a few more watts of power, which is going to be the biggest difference in the receivers. I don't think for that amount of money you will find much better in new equipment. If you haven't owned Onkyo equipment in the past, just know that you need to set it up where it has proper ventilation, I even run a small fan behind the receiver to keep things cool, as they run very hot.

I have the TX-NR1000 and the TX-DS989....I used to have the TX-DS939.

The TX-NRXXX line sounds as good as your going to get form SS gear in the less than 1K price range.

The DTC-9.8 is not a reciever...it's a rpocessor/preamp..which means you need a 7 channel amp to go with it.

I understand that , what I'm wondering is if it's that much difference in sound quality going the seperates route .I have a few Adcom amps that I could use with the DTC-9.8 , but from what I've read about the 905 I'm not sure it's worth all the extra equipment and cabling. The cornwalls are in no way power hungry but are very revealing of the source , whether it be good or bad. I sure wish there were a local dealer where i could hear both of these for my self.

You can always improve be it from receiver to separates or from one amp to the next and so on.

It really comes down to what it's worth to you.

I started having TX-NR901. I thought it was awesome and it was/is for what it does.The most bang for buck in it's price class IMO. Then I got a separate amp and changed my monster cables, then a cheap used pre, then a tubed pre and a new amp etc and on and on.

So bottom line - There is a difference and it can be significant just depends on how far you want to take it. There is nothing wrong with the Onkyo so if you are happy don't sweat it.

I've owned alot of Onkyo gear, TX 805 is the most current and I have no complaints, if fact I was looking at the same 905 on e-bay, just to get a few more watts of power, which is going to be the biggest difference in the receivers. I don't think for that amount of money you will find much better in new equipment. If you haven't owned Onkyo equipment in the past, just know that you need to set it up where it has proper ventilation, I even run a small fan behind the receiver to keep things cool, as they run very hot.

Yes , the $899 price tag is very tempting , I'm glad you mentioned the heat , I was planning on putting it in a custom rack , the space would be 11"x24" open front and back , is this room enough or should it have alot more that 3" above it for ventilation?

You should have enough room and Onkyo will tell you in the manual that it will produce heat but I would suggest a very small inexpensive fan to move air and keep things cooler, but I've always been of the opinion that heat and dust kill electronics IMO

I understand that , what I'm wondering is if it's that much difference in sound quality going the seperates route

I am not 100% sure but I think the 905 and the 9.8 have all the same processing chips and DACS. I would get the 905 and listen first, then if not completely satisfied with the amp section, buy a two or three channel amp with more wattage and go from there.

Bill

You should have enough room and Onkyo will tell you in the manual that it will produce heat but I would suggest a very small inexpensive fan to move air and keep things cooler, but I've always been of the opinion that heat and dust kill electronics IMO

From everything I've read online , if I go the route of the receiver I'll definitely be adding a fan of some sort , it seems that the Integra also runs hot wich is said to be a product of the video processing and not the amplification. When I read that I was almost leaning toward going with a different setup all together , as I have no need for the video processing , like maybe a nice 7.1 analog preamp , but i really like the audyssey , and the networking capabilities. I agree totally on the heat and dust thing (dust creates heat in electronics) so I have every intention of adding a fan.

I understand that , what I'm wondering is if it's that much difference in sound quality going the seperates route

I am not 100% sure but I think the 905 and the 9.8 have all the same processing chips and DACS. I would get the 905 and listen first, then if not completely satisfied with the amp section, buy a two or three channel amp with more wattage and go from there.

Bill

Thats what I was thinking of doing , Buy the 905 , and if I'm not satisfied , add amplification across the front , and let the 905 handle the back 4. It seems to me that the 905 has the same preamp section as the dtc-9.8 , same dac's , torroidal transformer , independent power supplies etc. , BUT.... a close friend of mine swears that the seperate preamp will sound better than using the receiver as a preamp. even considering they are spec'd almost identically he says that seperates are just better quality components in general , myself , I think in a blind listening test with identical amplification its probably not that much different , IF some one has heard both setups , and can tell me that there is in fact audible difference , I will go the seperates route , but as of now it looks to me like the all in one package of the 905 will be just as nice

Well , it's done my TX-NR905 is on its way , after weeks of research on the internet , I could find very little negative about this receiver , and a whole lot of positive. As far as the heat goes , I beleive with adequate clearance and a small ventilation fan it will be fine. The $899 price tag included FREE shipping , so to me thats a pretty good deal.

I think you made the right choice!!!.....starts to get into the dollars vs actual return after that.....I went through the same situation and settled on a pioneer elite receiver < $1k and couldn't be happier

I think if you move into a large dedicated theater room with pro speakers etc...then it's time to get seperates and fine tune to get every last drop of sound quality .....as for me my HT is in the family room which is open to the kitchen, wife banging pots, running the dishwasher, daughter in and out of the fridge 700 times, dogs running around.........you get the picture....sure for bragging rights a mega system would be great, but it would be like me buying a corvette Z06 for my commute that I never get above 45-50 on the crowded highway........looks great, but never used for what it was meant for.

I think you made the right choice!!!.....starts to get into the dollars vs actual return after that.....I went through the same situation and settled on a pioneer elite receiver

I think if you move into a large dedicated theater room with pro speakers etc...then it's time to get seperates and fine tune to get every last drop of sound quality .....as for me my HT is in the family room which is open to the kitchen, wife banging pots, running the dishwasher, daughter in and out of the fridge 700 times, dogs running around.........you get the picture....sure for bragging rights a mega system would be great, but it would be like me buying a corvette Z06 for my commute that I never get above 45-50 on the crowded highway........looks great, but never used for what it was meant for.

I too , have my home theater directly connected to my kitchen , and dining room , and as you said , half the time its competing with the dishwasher or some junk like that. I litereally would have to double my investment to move up to separates , and probably for a difference in quality that I would really have to concentrate to notice. I have seen some very happy customers with the 905 , hopefully i will be too

I had the ts 805 for a little less than a year, it was a great reciever for movies but IMO i thought its 2 channel performance was shotty at best. For movies and even multi channel music it was great but it's lack of 2 channel performance made me sell it and go to seperates and I'm very glad I did. Once again just my opinoin but others on the forum have been less than thrilled with the 805's 2 ch performance. InVeNtoR........

Wuzzer loves his if you find some of his posts, He has Forte's and I have the reference series which could be the reason for the differences. I believe inventor has been less than thrilled with his in 2 ch performance, he has reference series as well.

There are definitely some options you need to have set correctly, THe double bass option if you run you're speakers full range is a huge on.

One thing I wish more recievers did was in direct or pure listening mode was maintain sub xover. This was a complaint of mine, as I like the pure audio and direct modes but it lacked the low end That the sub was used for. The sub (PB13 Ultra) does not have High Level Inputs so I couldn't connect it to the FL and FR for stereo performance in those modes.