Chip in veneer: I have the chip!

skaelin

Just bought a pair of original Heresies. They came with the chip but the previous owner saved the chip.

I just wanted to get some advice on how to best reapply the piece of veneer. I tried laying the piece on the chipped portion but it is not a perfect fit. Should I clean out all the old glue and small wood slivers that are still attached to the plywood substrate? Which glue? See pics below. Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've had a problem, somewhat similar. It arose in applying veneer.

My solution was to use super glue. It is possible to hold the broken piece in position with sewing pins, not piercing the piece, just holding it in place. Maybe you can turn the speaker on its back and let gravity help.

The reasoning on the use of superglue is that it dries to clear surface, if somewhat glossy. But you can buff that out.

I would remove any shreds which interfer with a good physical match.

Incidently, superglue can be disolved with acetone. Classic nail polish remover.

A girl friend might be of help in this process because artificial nails are applied using superglue, and removed with acetone. So maybe the GF has more experience than us guys.

Wm McD

How would you guys recommend dealing with a chip like that when you don't have the piece to glue in?

Is there some sort of putty or something short of re-veneering the speaker?

Good question, and I have a solution! I had this problem with a Cornwall about 5 years back. I've had to do this sort of thing with high-end pre-finished cabinets, too. What I did with the Cornwall is, I "harvested" a bit of veneer from the inside of the riser (could also be obtained from any inconspicuous place, like the bottom, or the inside of the speaker). Cut a section (peel or slice it to the thickness of veneer) larger than the place needing repair. Trim ragged edges away from the repair site (I'd make it a rectangle), and cut the "new" veneer to fit. Use the glue of your choice (I use carpenters glue...I'm a carpenter!), "clamping" it with blue tape stretched taut. If need be, you can also clamp over the blue tape with a bar clamp or such. How you take it from here (sanding, etc.) depends on the finish on the speakers. Oil or lacquer can be touched up pretty easily.

BTW, this technique is generally called a Dutchman.

Will that work for a chipped tooth?

That depends, is the tooth laquered or oil-finished? What about your rear molars, the ones in the inconspicuous location...are they a good color match??

Just kidding, but this part is serious...go to Home Depot or Lowes...look for minwax putty crayon in whatever veneer /stain that is, walnut? Use that to fill in the gaps of the re-veneer job. Actually it is pretty easy to just remove the old facing and install new veneer tape,which is not THAT expensive. It just irons on. A good solution for oiled finish repairs.

Back at the factory in the old days we re-attached chips using a tube of all-purpose adhesive, which was basically identical to plastic model glue...same brain-enhancing fumes and everything.

Back at the factory in the old days we re-attached chips using a tube of all-purpose adhesive, which was basically identical to plastic model glue...same brain-enhancing fumes and everything.

Hey, when I visited the plant in '05 and '06, I was stunned how smelly (fumes, y'know) the paint shop was. And that was from across the room from the hoods. No one wore a mask in there, either!

Andy, do you have a good technique for matching the new veneer tape to the old, oxidized original? Especially with walnut, a strip of new veneer really stands out (much cooler-toned). And don't tell me you just get out the crayola set...[;)]

Fini: when I redo a pair of H's, etc, and the owner wants that "vintage" look, I've found that either Minwax's "golden oak", or "gunstock", or in some combination of the two can produce the reddish hue common to 70's era walnut. Also their "special walnut" is handy especially for speakers that were not exposed to much sunlight over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used minwax sticks, crayons and colored markers for furniture. I end up going back to my dads trick-shoe polish. Start light and go darker. You can usually buff it out to the level that looks good. You can even buff it almost off and start again if you over buff. I use kiwi polish in assorted colors applied with a q-tip and buffed with a soft cloth. The goal is to get rid of the color differences that catch the light. Add a couple of coats of butchers paste wax on the enire surface after the polish has dried and you are done.