Jolida Audio

Deang

I had a Jolida 801A driving my Cornwalls and then my Belles for ~6 months. Mine was bone stock with factory 6550 output tubes...I didn't try any tube rolling. It was my first tube amp and I liked it very much, but it really had way more power than I needed in my rig. I got it as my first attempt to see how lower powered amps sounded in my system, and I was surprised to find that tube watts seemed louder to me than equilavent SS watts.

From the Jolida I ventured on to the Monarchy Audio SM-70 (25wpc SS).

I don't know the right terms to describe the sound of the Jolida/ Heritage Klipsch combo, but it was more power than I needed (or that I wanted I later found out). I didn't have any tube experience to compare it to but I know now it didn't have the "detail" or the "clarity" I have with my Moondogs. The Jolida handled loud Rock 'n Roll easily, but with an "in your face" slam, not the detail or finesse I have got with lower powered equipment. OTOH I have a buddy who says the Jolida is still his favorite of all the amps that I have tried (it was the first tube amp he had heard also).

Of course the things I didn't want in the Jolida may be EXACTLY what you are looking for. The amp performed flawlessly for me. The only real gripe I had with it is the external bias pots are located UNDER the chassis. It was a pain in the butt to bias but I only had to do it once (after it was shipped to me). It would need to be re-biased with output tube replacement and probably checked once a year or so, I forget what the manual said.

I don't know if this helps any, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-12-2002 at 11:25 AM

Ed's post sounds pretty close to on the money. I have had a lot of experience with the Jolida 302B which is the next model down and dedicated to the EL-34 tube which I find is more musical than the 6550. Although, I do believe the 801 can employ the EL-34 with bias changes from what I remember (by the way, the Jolida 302B/502B all have the BIAS adjustment pots on TOP of the amp - adjusting bias is extremely easy).

The Jolida is a GREAT amp for the money, especially used. Well, almost TOTALLY used as I don't think I would pay what they are costing new when the used amps are so plentiful. The 801 is a bit more rare, however. These amps can be modified to sound MUCH better as well. Unfortunately, they are solid state rectified which is not as natural sounding. But if you do switch the SS rectification to fast recovery HEXFRED's with a Snubber circuit and cap, then that is about as good as SS rectification can get, and will provide much more bass definition and clarity with less grain. Improving the PS caps is good as well.

The coupling caps are also rather unimpressive as is the volume pot. All these mods, however, are not too difficult. There are a few pages online dedicated to modding Jolida gear.

Still, as Ed said, these amps in stock form are not that bad, especially used. They do not, however, have the same subtle finesse and detail as other higher priced counterparts.

They do make a great first tube amp and can be sold very quickly with not much loss. A few mods and you are even in better seats.

kh

ps- Jolida took about 5 years to even get a website... And now they get that???? What is with the mother and child motif? I about lost my lunch when I saw that the first time. Sadly, I had forgotten it and the result was the same just now. What kind of marketing jackdaw thought of this? Nothing like a mother frolicking in lingerie with nude tike to give thy tube amp appeal. Those poor bastards...

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-12-2002 at 12:43 PM

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore -

I just bought an AE-25 Super Amp with the upgraded caps and a volume control for preamp by-pass. The volume control on the amp will get me by until I can afford another preamp - sometime around the year 2030.

------------------

deanG

Holy Moses, Deang! Did you see mother and child and go berserk? How many amps have you bought in the last three weeks? HEh....Well, that sounds like a good buy; I think I saw that on AudiogoN.

That ole SuperAmp is neat in taht you can use just about any tube besides the light bulb in your bathroom!

A bunch of upgrades for it as well. I see that beast lasting oh....ummm....say...about 20 days before you go berserk again and start buying like a loon with a bottlecap hat!

Seriously, congratulations. Let us know how it turns out.

kh

Really, all I did was start thinking I wanted a little more edge to the transients for movies, and decided I might try a quality SS amp. Hence the Bryston ST-3B.

I didn't want a silver faced preamp with my black amp so I decided to sell the two Anthem pieces. When I saw the Bryston BP20 on AudiogoN I decided to get it - more out of curiosity than anything.

I haven't really bought that much - just sold my Anthem Pre1L and Amp1 (still for sale) and bought the two Bryston pieces.

Right now I have the Bryston BP20 mated to the Anthem Amp1 I haven't sold yet. It's cleaner and smoother sounding than the Pre1L and Amp1 together - but the soundstage has collapsed somewhat and though it sounds pretty good - the music has moved away from me.

I'm expecting it to get worse when I put the 3B-ST in the system. At any rate - I can already tell what happens when you take tubes out of a system.

I'll have the AE-25 on a little table and when I listen to music I can just move the speaker cables. When I do movies I'll move them back.

This I'll do until I find some 2nd rate Heresy's Smile.gif

------------------

deanG

I hope you enjoy that SuperAmp deang, I think you made a good choice...I have the SuperPreamp (DJH version + another cap upgrade) feeding my Moondogs and I am very pleased with the sound. I just upgraded the 6SN7s in the pre to some NOS Sylvania's and I like them very much. It is amazing how a NOS tube or two can add to the enjoyment.

I look forward to your thoughts on the AE-25 once you have listened to it for awhile.

(BTW when I sold my Jolida I actually made a couple of $$ off the deal!)

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-12-2002 at 06:10 PM

I am a little concerned not having a preamp to run with it. This AE-25 has volume control knob and I don't really know anything about how this is ultimately pulled off. I guess it's passive ??

Should sound O.K.

------------------

deanG

You should be able to hook your source (cd player) directly into the amp, as long as the cd player has enough output (voltage?) to drive the amp. I have done this with my Monarchy's. Works very well, takes another bunch 'o stuff out of the signal path. Should sound awesome.

What you lose doing it that way is a way to change sources...tuner/cd/aux. If your only source is the cd player it should be no problem.

FWIW I am thinking of another preamp...the Syrah . I will make this leap only if I decide to give vinyl a spin (pun intended), I am VERY happy with the AES AE-3 DJH SuperPreamp. If you are interested let me know. No promises mind you, but I am thinking...

------------------

Ed W