Pics of Heresies: before and after

skaelin

I spent a couple of hours yesterday working on my new old Heresy I speakers. I got the speakers about 3 days ago. I fixed a chip in the veneer and then reconditioned the finish using Howard's Restor-A-Finish and then Feed-n-Wax.

Before: see the water stains, chip and other flaws in the finish. The old finish was about 30 years old.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After: this is what they looked like after 2-hours of work. No more water marks. No more chip. The next phase: new crossovers, tweeters, and internal dampening and sealing. Can't wait! I didn't know about half this stuff before joining the forum. Thanks for everyone's input on how to bring a pair of speakers back to life!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They look good, exactly how'd you do it?

BS Button

I soaked a piece of superfine steel wool with the Restor-A-Finish and rubbed it on the surface until the old finish liquified. I kept rubbing until all the watermarks and/or other imperfections were gone and then I buffed the slowly hardening surface with some very soft cotton cloths until the finish was done reamalgamating. I then waited about 20 minutes and then began rubbing in the wax with a cotton cloth. I did that until little bits of the cloth began to get caught in the grain. I let the finish sit a little longer and then I began buffing the wax into the finish with my bare hands. It worked like a champ. With the hand rubbing, the grain really took on some added depth. Don't ask me why. It just did.

Thanks,

Was it previously an oil or lacquer finish?

BSPWK BS Button

I think they were oiled but the finish was so deteriorated I really couldn't tell. It doesn't matter though, the Restor-a-Finish will work on either.

BTW, does anybody know if these are oak or walnut?