The latest CD/Album you've purchased?

jacksonbart

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been buying used CDs on Amazon lately and having great luck......IOW, cheap and in excellent condition. Say goodbye to iTunes!

Two Sinatra with Count Basie CDs, very clean and crisp recordings from later in his life. "It must be swing" and I can't recall the other. Both great.

Scott Hamilton - "Nocturnes and Serenades" Jazz Sax. Slow, very fuzzy and excellent.

Donald Fagen - Kamakaraid (?) not sure of the spelling. It's in the mail. I love Steely Dan so it can't be a dud.

Doc Severinson and the Tonight Show Orchestra. Great version of April in Paris.

Ibrrahim Ferrer - Beunos Hermanos

I have found that with iTunes I cannot dupe a CD and play it in my car....so F that. I will strive to buy the actual disc from here on out.

CD (new): Jethro Tull - Stand Up

LPs (used): James Taylor - JT
Lyle Lovett - Lyle Lovett and His Large Band
The Pursuit of Happiness - Love Junk

Love Junk
is the best-known record (produced by Tod Rundgren) by the popular '80s-'90s Toronto band, The Pursuit of Happiness, with their hit I'm an Adult Now, Moe Berg's take on growing up ("No more "boy meets girl, boy loses girl", more like "man tries to understand what the hell went wrong").

I'm an Adult Now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXtqcL_utZ8&feature=related

Another favourite cut is She's So Young:

I feel lucky to have several used record and CD shops within a few blocks of my home and I generally buy two or three times as many LPs as CDs.

I've got to agree with you Cigarbum, 18 year old Macallan is a thing of beauty. "Macallan, the Rolls Royce of single malts." Author Michael Jackson.

Some recent acquisitions: Alan Jackson, George Strait & Jimmy Buffett Live at Texas Stadium. A great live show, Alan Jackson is a great singer.

Sandy Denny A Boxful of Treasures, The most recent expansive retrospective of this most gifted singer. My favorite female vocalist. For an excellent overview of her work see this album, No more Sad Refrains: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1094890

Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

Martina McBride: Evolution

Toni Price: Hey. Another great musician out of the Austin music scene, the hotbed of American music over the last 30 years. See Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marcia Ball, Angela Strehli, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Lou Ann Barton, Doyle Bramhall, etc. New Orleans might be the most important city in the US as far as music is concerned, particularly as to the development of Jazz, but Austin has clearly made its mark as well.

Teddy Thompson: Up Front & Low. A fine young singer ventures into Country standards, great reviews, just got it. I'll have to drop it into the cd player to night.

Looks like I've been catching up on some female singers of late. I've been trying to pick up some Eva Cassidy on Ebay, but my bids keep getting topped. I never see her cds for less than full retail, $15.99. I'll keep bidding to try and get Songbird and Live at Blues Alley.

I just received a package of 7 LPs last week from Acoustic Sounds:

Blue Note 45 Series (all EXCELLENT!!):

Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis - Something Else

Ike Quebeck - It Might As Well Be Spring

Dexter Gordon - Go

Art Taylor - AT's Delight

Van Morrison (both excellent as well):

Moondance

Astral Weeks

The Who By Numbers - 200 Gram Classic Reissue - Fantastic, Highly Recommended!