The latest CD/Album you've purchased?

jacksonbart

yea steve it was upsetting, i guess it was at mastering what i heard was glaring top end that made it near impossiable to set thru even a single song, i called the local record shop where i boughtit to inquire if anyone else had expressed quality issues, the ouner aid no previous complaints but that they do occasionally get some bad pressings and allowed me to exchange it for another title ( 180 gram version of U2 joshua tree )

Joe

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea steve it was upsetting, i guess it was at mastering what i heard was glaring top end that made it near impossiable to set thru even a single song, i called the local record shop where i boughtit to inquire if anyone else had expressed quality issues, the ouner aid no previous complaints but that they do occasionally get some bad pressings and allowed me to exchange it for another title ( 180 gram version of U2 joshua tree )

I just ran into something similar with a Jane Siberry CD. There was a used one and a new one in the rack for only $2 more than the used one, plus the new one was "remastered". I thought it would be better to buy the new one so the artist actually made some money on it instead of just the record store.

When I played it first, I was at the computer at the other end of my apartment and it sounded okay, but when I sat in front of the stereo, it was so thin-sounding I stopped it half-way through. I even turned the sub off and on to be sure it was working. Most of her CDs are around $18-25, and this one was only $6.99. Maybe it was a poor seller because of the sound. It's called a collection 1984-1989 and has many of her best songs on it, so it should have been popular.

I have her on good-sounding vinyl, as well as on another CD that sounds great, so it was surprising to hear this. At the cheap price, though, I'd be a little embarrassed to take it back and complain like I would about a $20 CD.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some damage at J&R's sale yesterday:

Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane

Louis Armstrong: The Great American Songbook

Joe Pass: George, Ira and Joe

Marian McPartland & Friends Piano Duets

Benny Carter: The King

Benny Goodman: Ken Burns jazz

Vince Guaraldi: Greatest Hits

Jazz For Lovers

Dave Brubeck: The Great Concerts.

EmmyLou Harris: Profile

Martina McBride: Best of

Arthur Fiedler & The Boston Pops: Plays Pops.

and a few more I can't recall off the top of my head. all for $6.99 a piece.

That stylistic
dynamic plays itself out in less blatant juxtapositions throughout the
rest of the album. "You Don't Understand Me" is a classic power-popper
replete with twinkling piano and smooth, layered vocal harmonies, while
raw garage-rock ... Full Descriptionstomper
"Hold Up" leaps out with almost savage ferocity. The most rewarding
moments may be the ones where White and Benson collaborate to create a
fresh-sounding sonic paradigm, as on "The Switch and the Spur," a
trumpet-punctuated epic that sounds more akin to a
testosterone-enhanced Decemberists than anything else. Ultimately,
White and Benson honor just enough of their respective pasts to ensure
a vital future for the Raconteurs.

From the beginning Jack White
insisted that the Raconteurs were a proper band and not just a White
Stripes side project. The release of CONSOLERS OF THE LONELY, the
second album by the band he co-leads alongside singer-songwriter
Brendan Benson, bears out all parties' commitment to the project. From
the very first cut (the title track), the varied musical personalities
at work here are apparent, as the song moves back and forth between a
streamlined, Benson-sung section and a slower, crunchier blues-rocking
****** of patented White work.

The Raconteurs: Jack White III (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Patrick Keeler (drums, percussion).

Rolling
Stone (p.55) - 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "CONSOLERS OF THE LONELY comes
together like a blissfully stoned conversation between White and Benson
about their favorite bands: Led Zeppelin, the Who, Badfinger. Each of
them riffs off the other, trading verses and guitar leads on a host of
compelling stories..."
Rolling Stone (p.96) - Ranked #44 in Rolling Stone's 50 Best Albums Of 2008 -- "[A]n ecstatic, fully integrated live band..."
Spin
(p.108) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he matchup of White's emotional and
musical volatility and Benson's power-pop jones pays off: 'You Don't
Understand Me' plays like a long-lost, bitter Badfinger outtake."
Spin
(p.47) - Ranked #35 in Spin's "40 Best Albums Of 2008" -- "'Hold Up'
and 'Salute Your Solution' are blistering rockers served well by an
actual rhythm section..."
Entertainment Weekly (p.61) - "The
Raconteurs hitch country and long-haired funk to a boisterous
blooze-rock wagon with nary a nod to subtlety or art-school cool." --
Grade: B+
Uncut (p.99) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he way that it
spans dynamic radio rock, affecting urban blues, garage stompers and
blatant Who worship renders it rich enough to be remembered..."
Kerrang (Magazine) (p.49) - "Loaded with 1970's guitar slinging bravado, it's a red-blooded rock and roll album..."
Pitchfork
(Website) - "[With] big hooks and bigger guitars, stuffed arrangements,
and plenty of instrumental shock and awe....[A]nother loose,
comfortable affirmation of what they do well."

Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 1. Consoler of the Lonely icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 2. Salute Your Solution icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 3. You Don't Understand Me icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 4. Old Enough icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 5. Switch and the Spur, The icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 6. Hold Up icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 7. Top Yourself icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 8. Many Shades of Black icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 9. Five on the Five icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 10. Attention
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 11. Pull This Blanket Off icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 12. Rich Kid Blues icon-lyrics.gif
Windows MediaWindows MediaRealAudio MediaRealAudio MediaMP3 Track Sample 13. These Stones Will Shout icon-lyrics.gif

post-36027-13819487376886_thumb.jpg

When I am going through bins of records I am usually chanting hank, jordan, scott, johnson, paramount 78's please. This time it paid off I picked up an early Hank Williams Sr album. It was more than I wanted to pay but I couldn't leave without it. I actually drove off twice. I heard my good friend the record collectors voice in my head saying "never leave vinyl you'll only talk about seeing later".

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

The vinyl is ok it has surface noise which actually goes well with the Hank. The only thing that bothered me was 3 pops during I Saw The Light. Good stuff.