Looking for a GREAT receiver!!

nezff

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really feel great about buying reconditioned gear from them. i would rather pay $100 more and get the 876 brand new with a 2 year warranty than pay $799 for the 875.

Several people have given you tons of nice suggestions. If you don't want refurbished, don't buy refurbished. But, I've never had a problem with any factory refurbished item I've ever purchased: digital camera, H/K DVD player, Onkyo receiver, etc. In the end you have to do what feels right for you, but a deal such as getting a $2000+ Onkyo receiver for less than $900 that's essentially brand new doesn't seem too shabby of a deal to me!

The newest line of Onkyos have been scaled down big-time. They added more bells and whistles but skimped somewhere - we already talked about how much less the new ones ending with a 6 weigh compared to last year's 5 models.

Is there a reason why you're hesitant to buy refurbished?

what i meant was, I can get the 876 for $911 brand new and it comes with a 2 year warranty

The 875 which was recommended from accessories4less, is $800 and refurbished. I was just stating I would rather pay the $100 extra and get a brand new one. thats all.

what i meant was, I can get the 876 for $911 brand new and it comes with a 2 year warranty

The 875 which was recommended from accessories4less, is $800 and refurbished. I was just stating I would rather pay the $100 extra and get a brand new one. thats all.

I think what Wuzzer was referring to was like I suggested the 905 for less than $900.00. Refirbished doesn't mean bad, it means usually that a certified technition has checked it out thouroughly and repaired if needed and given it an all go for consumer purchase. Most of the time it will be equipped with the most recent firmware update.

Bill

Just wondering if you have considered another brand besides Onkyo? I highly recommend Marantz. They sound amazing with Klipsch and are built like tanks. You can't go wrong with the SR8002.... and don't let the power ratings fool you. Mine doesn't run hot at all and I've got TONS of headroom. Great way to go if your going the "reciever" route...

Yes i wanted you guys to recommend other receivers that had great power ratings. I wanted the most wattage for the money.

I was looking at marantz, onkyo, yamaha, and denon

The denons and yamahas dont have the wattage i wanted unless you pay $2000.

Im not paying over $1000, thats why I thought the onkyos sounded nice. Not sure which marantz i can get under $1000 with a nice amount of wattage per channel.

You can get the SR8001 for $699 with free shipping. I had it before I bought the 8002. To be honest, I wish I would have just kept the 8001 because I don't notice a difference. The only real difference is the 8001 has hdmi 1.2 and the 8002 has 1.3. For me, it didn't matter because my PS3 does the decoding anyway. I've listened to the Denon 3808 and other recievers with Klipsch reference and the Marantz really stood out. There's definately something about Maratnz and Klipsch that "click". Very dynamic sound with movies and VERY detailed with music. You won't be dissapointed.

The Marantz 8002 would be sweet for $1k,may be a while.......No matter what you buy,don't buy based on watts.I had a Rotel 75 watts per,put most 110 watts to shame,HK was 75 watts the same.That said,you do need hdmi,otherwise you could grab a BK 507 for about $1k.Since having hdmi I'd never go back.

the only reason i stated anything about the wattage was because I have read the reviews where the 876 was on the test bench and was putting out a good amount of watts. It puts out more than most receivers in that price range. But honestly If I could spend $600-$700 and not know the difference, then I could save some money. But I might be keeping my Emotiva xpa-3 anyway and then I will be looking for a decently priced receiver with preouts.

If I go this route, what receiver would you guys recommend me getting as a pre/pro. Something cheap, but pretty good? onkyo 806? 706? marantz 5003? etc..

Why not the UMC-1 to match your XPA-3?

I'd like to get one when they are released but I'm not sure its worth the money. I think my 663 will make a good pre/pro. Better than the UMC-1? No, but the 663 is paid for sitting in my house with all the lastest surround sound stuff so I'm not sure I want to spend another $699 + shipping to upgrade. But you're looking anyway so what better excuse do you need!! [:P]

I agree on the umc1,will be nice,been waitin' a while myself,but it's coming soon.I sold my 606 in my garage and almost decided to buy the 806 for $606 delivered from 6ave.I also considered the Marantz 7001,very good deal but 1.2 hdmi(may not matter but..)I'm sure it would sound better than Onkyo.

How much do you really want to spend? The receivers listed so far are good. I've heard all the latest Denon gear and it's good, too. However, if you step up the dollars you get into places like NAD. To my ears the NAD T785 I have is better than the Denon gear I've heard. Not by much, but where it counts.

Further, if it's sheer grunt you want, 7 x 190W FTC (to compare with the other receivers listed, otherwise 7 x 120W using NAD's system) is what could be called monstrous.

I want to try and keep it under $1000 just for a receiver

option 1: keep emotiva and get a nice receiver with preouts

Onkyo 806, Onkyo 706, Marantz 5003, Yamaha 863

opiton 2: use just a receiver to run everything

Onkyo 876 140x7, Yamah RX V1800 130x7

Or if you guys have any other ideas or advice, let me know.

Ok guys I have narrowed it down to these receivers considering which option I choose above.

Receivers to act as a pre/pro with the emotiva:

Marantz SR5003 90x7 3 HDMIs v1.3a Audyssey $599

Yamaha RX-V863 105x7 3 HDMIs v1.3a YPAO correction $674

Onkyo TX SR806 130x7 Audyssey $599

Receivers to push everything, NO emotiva:

Onkyo TX SR876 140x7 4 HDMIs Audyssey ISF video calib. $911

Onkyo TX SR905 140x7 Audyssey $943 with a 3 year warranty. Onkyo Factory Refurbished from Accessories4less.com

Yamaha RX-V1900 130x7 YPAO correction $974

Yamaha RX-V1800 130x7 YPAO correcton $700-$800

For the money in option 1, I would have to say I would like the Marantz 5003 or the Onkyo 806 since they are the same price but the onkyo has more power per channel for the same price.

For the money in option 2, I would have to say I would like the Onkyo 876. Onkyo 905. or the Yamaha RX-V1800. The onkyo definately has more perks, wattage, and a longer warranty. It also has Audyssey since I havent heard great things about the Yamaha room correction. I would have to say the Onkyo 905 would be a better choice in this option.

what do you guys think? thanks in advance.

For the money in option 2, I would have to say I would like the Onkyo 876. Onkyo 905. or the Yamaha RX-V1800. The onkyo definately has more perks, wattage, and a longer warranty. It also has Audyssey since I havent heard great things about the Yamaha room correction. I would have to say the Onkyo 905 would be a better choice in this option.

Comparing specs won't tell you how a unit sounds, which is the really important thing. A few watts one way or the other won't be audible, but improved clarity and reduced harshness will be, for example.

Would you be able to listen to these units before buying them?

Comparing specs won't tell you how a unit sounds, which is the really important thing. A few watts one way or the other won't be audible, but improved clarity and reduced harshness will be, for example.

Would you be able to listen to these units before buying them?

no i cant listen to any of them. I had a Onkyo 605 and recently a pioneer elite.

cleremontcop, are you selling those or something.