hook ups for turntable

The Dude

I have a technics sl-bd27 turntable. I noticed that the plug dosent have a ground, is that what the external ground wire is used for. Also if i can come up with shielded audio wires is it necessary to shield the power wire if so how could i do this with out a ground. If any one has any dos and donts on hooking up turntables could use any advice. Othere than a pre-amp i will just use decent wires i can get at a local store. Plus i am looking for a dust cover for this bad boy, if any of you have one laying around im willing to give a couple bucks.

thanks

nick

also what can you do about scratches in the records. will they make a difference.

I'm not great at answering grounding questions, but do you have a hum? Try turning on the phono input, turn up the VC without playing a record, and see how much and what kind of noise you get. Hopefully you don't get noticeable noise until it's turned up enough to blow you out of the room.

If you DO get some hum, then attach the 'table's separate ground wire (is that what you meant?) to the preamp (turn down the volume first), either to the grounding post if there is one, or loop under a chassis screw and tighten it down. Then, turn it up and see if there's any difference. I have a ground wire on my Basis, but it makes no diff, so I leave it coiled up.

Some tonearems, though, have a 3rd, grounding wire, and I always attach it to the preamp as above. Google grounding turntables and grounding tonearms and see what you come up with. I looked briefly and only saw some wordy forums that aren't as good as this one.

What kind of advice on hooking up turntables?