How to make your grey cones black in 10 Min for less than $10

eq_shadimar

Ok I have pair of Decorator Cornwalls that the woofer cones went grey on. I used plain old india black ink and some foam brushes and viola they look like new. Here are the pictures:

Before:

P1010083_web.jpg

During:

P1010084_web.jpg

Result:

P1010085_web.jpg

Tools:

P1010086_web.jpg

I think it turned out fantastic. To be honest they look even better in person.

Laters,

Jeff

I highly recommend Kiwi Shoe Dye:

http://www.kiwishoeproducts.com/Kiwi_Leather_Dye_Black_p/107.htm

Built in applicator, no mess.

I wonder if they still make it with the stick attached to the inside cap with the cotton ball at the end of it....

That's the Kiwi "sole and heel" dressing if I recall. Never use that on the cones!!!! LOLOL!!!!

Why stop at Black? Has anyone seen the horns and woofers painted a different color?

Theoretically...... since the actual cone material fibers on older Heritage are generally varying shades of gray (and geeneish/gray on some), you could probably mix some alcohol based dye/ tint and "wipe" it on (google "trans-tint" dyes). Because of the base color, you probably would only be able to get something "greenish" or "purplish". Unfortunately, that would be the only way to do it without applying something that would otherwise change the cone material's properties. "Painting" has been done (and shows up on eBay....), but that's not a good idea.

There was no way that I was going to paint the woofers. I didn't want to add all the mass plus you would need a flexible paint. I used the india ink because it is more of a dye or stain. I only used about 1/4 of that ink bottle for both woofers. I did not have tons of ink on the brush and I waited until everything was dry before using the Cornwalls again.

Laters,

Jeff

eq- hadimar said "I did not have tons of ink on the brush and I waited until everything was dry before using the Cornwalls again."

Yes, wet with a song with Bass (not the fish, but could be Phish the group, and by group a mean a multiple gathering of animals,... Ok were back to Fish and you want the sound Bass.... good..whew! ) It might blow out ink into the room! hahahahahahaha Wooops hun!!! I thought it was a great idea?

The caffine has kicked in now!

Didn't Colter use some black spray paint on some Heresy woofers once. Someone here did... a vinyl top paint or something.. SEM.. something or other. If you do it right you aren't going to add enough mass to tell the difference.

Bruce

Well how about that. I thought the woofers in my decorator Cornwalls were supposed to be grey! Indifferent

No man yours ARE supposed to be grey...really I looked up your serial numbers and it said "built with grey cones" Geeked I say go with what ya like man.

Laters,

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for doing that research. I feel much better now!