Cornscala - Again

CIGARBUM

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a ton of stuff out there that will work. I looked and looked and finally decided on the fiber fill stuff, cheap at Wa Mart After reading a lot of posts and people trying to tell the difference, I pretty much came to the conclusion that it really didn't matter, just something to break up the standing sound waves, so I'm told

Good luck

CB.

CB, there is a BIG difference in the stuffing!

AES has some paers on the properties of different kinds of stuffings.. Fiberglass blows as its REACTIVE, ie its hard (glass) and the sound bounces around off it, Dacron polyester is TWICE as good as fiberglass because its RESISTIVE and slows the sound down, making an enclosure appear larger, Long hair wool is way better than dacron polyester, as its even more resistive. The best thing I know of (this was 20 plus years ago, theres likely better stuff now) for stuffing is the last stuff I used in Transmission lines, and it was called Acousta-stuf ..... I can get the AES articles for you if you'd like and speaker builder had several articles on it .

the study was conducted by George Augspurger of the AES in 1999, theres got to be newer stuff out......

Weems & Dickasson cover it in thier books as does Martin Colloms, (much more in depth) in High Performance Loudspeakers.......I hadn't cracked a cover on that book in almost 30 years. But I am going to re -read sections on horns. That is one heckuva book if its still in print. The pillow stuffing is way better, widely available, cheap, and is not NEARLY as likely to get into voice coils and cause damage as fiberglass is......

If you want the really good stuff.. Madisound.com Larry Hitch is the man! or if in Canada: Solen

hope this helps! Mike Milliken

I finally made a decision and ordered my veneer last night, I went with the Ribbon Striped Mahogany from Joe's woodworker. I was thinkin g about the Teak, but understand there may be some problems when it comes to finishing, a lot of oil and resins, if you try to wash it out with minerial spirts it can damage the paper backing, don't want to take any chances. I will be using the Heat Lock glue. I have all my tools, cabinets are ready sanded, sharp corners and ready to go. All that stuff should be here next week, so I start posting some pictures the first time I iron my finger.

CB

Well this is another installment of my quest. First of all, hats off to all that have built any kind of speaker, a pure labor of love, it's a lot of hard work. A couple of additional notes; if I was married I'd be dead, for some reason I tend to make a lot of mess, I use a lot of equipment for what it was not intended for. I remember many years ago, first wife (now ex-wife) got real mad at me for washing parts to my Porsche in the dish washer, don't understand why, did a very nice job. Next I hope you have someoone to help you move these things around, they weight a bloody ton, I wish I have a way to weight them.

Anyway here is the next bunch of pictures:

post-32367-13819454888168_thumb.jpg

Well, as you can see, they are coming along very nicely, these suckers are a lot bigger than I thought, oh well. I need to put on the banding, it hasn't arrived yet, because dummy forgot to order it. After I get that done it will be just a metter of some light sanding and they will be ready to finish. I have done several samples and for my purpose I believe just the plain BLO, it darkens them up very nice. From there put all the mother boards in and wire this dude up. The only thing left is to try to figure how to get them upstairs.

As always all comments are welcome

post-32367-13819454890508_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I got tired of the glue on the banding loostening after a few months so I started making my own with the leftover veneer and applying with heat lock glue.

BTW, Beautiful job and I love to veneer choice.