2 Channel Receiver Suggestions

Mudkicker

I ended up with an old Pioneer SA9100 amp and just bought a matching Pioneer TX9100 tuner.  The whole package was less than 200 bucks, looks totally cool with the nice oiled walnut case.  The amp had several noisy pots which I was able to clean and restore to perfect with two cans of miracle jizz.  Not likely that I'd be able to do that with my ugly black sony HT receiver.  Sure it's not tube and it's not McIntosh, but it sounds pretty sweet to me.

Oldmako

You said nearly everything I would've if I could have phrased it that well - my main system is a SA9500 II and matching tuner with a pair of Chorus and I love it. I have three 2 channel systems in the house and they're all vintage stuff.

• Like 1

I used radio shack stuff because that's all I had on hand. I am sure that there's probably a mo' betta' product, but I wanted to get started. The first can is called "precision electronics cleaner" and seems to little more than denatured alcohol inder pressure. The label indicates that it's Isohexane, Diflouroethane, Ethanol and electronic cleaner.....I dunno. It worked well on the majority of the pots and switches. Virtually every single knob/switch crackled and scratched when moved. Hopefully it will last and did no damage while cleaning.

The volume was another issue as it had a mechanical scratch the you could feel in your hand when rotating. After hosing that mother for a while I switched and used a RS cleaner/lubricant. After a few hundred twists it is now smooth as silk. Just like new and everything is silent.

I now have a desire for two more amps (or receivers) and will continue to look for decent old school units. However I reamain open to suggestion and cooercion.

Vintage gear has a certain appeal, but the new electronics sound better and are more reliable. Every new Yamaha receiver I've owned has been a definite improvement over the earlier ones. They also come with a warranty.

I tend to agree. Most of the amps and preamps from before 1960 are more work than reward for daily use. A bit like cars, I can drive a '66 VW bus all week long, but go vintage, say a '52 bug, and its a whole different ball game. More work than value (no gas gauge, 6 volt lights on the interstate, 30 hp as opposed to 90 hp, bus drivers flippin you the bird for only going 50, etc).

So for me, if it isnt stereo, I'll take a pass for daily use.

peace,

TommyK

I am torn to about this whole subject. How do these old systems hold up when streaming music from Rhapsody? On the Rhapsody channels I am finding so many artists I would have never discovered. It also fits my budget at 14.99 a month and I can down load up to 3 computers and 3 devices unlimited music. I listen to a lot of different music and the thought of tweeking the receiver with each song does not appeal to me. I would love to download the songs and set the equalizer to the song and be able to play it at whatever setting I assigned it. Is this even possible?

I also have a limited budget and smaller place and don't want those big speakers again. A theater set wouldn't work in the limited space I have. I have a cheaper Altec system VS2421for work that works fine for the situation. But I do think the limited range of the sub can get to you after awhile, bom bom bom. Is it possible to patch together an older receiver and good smaller bookshelf speakers with paper cones with streamed music to sound better than lets say the Promedia 2.1?

Your sound will improve if you use a dedicated amp while streaming. Desktop space can be an issue, though there are some great vintage amps with smallish footprints. An Advent 400 comes to mind.

Your amp doesnt care what the source is. I stream most of my music either as flacs off the HD, or internet radio. Using a nice DAC and making sure you keep it lossless are the first steps.

Integrating a sub well for 2 channel at a desk is tough. Great for gaming, lousy for serious listening.

peace,

TommyK

An inexpensive receiver - I'm partial to the Marantz 22XXB series myself - and a set of bookshelf's will blow away your ProMedia set up.

Go for a Marantz 2238B and a pair of used Klipsch 2.2's and you'll enjoy the difference without breaking your budget. For speakers a bit larger - floor-standing - KG3.5 are nice sounding and cheap.

Connect a computer to it and listen to whatever you like - internet radio (pandora.com) or your iTunes library.

Need smaller bookshelf speakers? - the RB10's sound nice in a small environment

• Like 1

I really wasn't sure if the digital and analog would play good together. I think someone earlier mentioned ebay as a good source to track things down locally. I checked that out and that really seems like one good venue to use to find used system components. Thanks for the recommendations Tommy K and LocknLoad.

cndnc - eBay works pretty well, buy form sellers that have a very good track record (over a hundred transactions and at least a 99.5% rate) if the seller deals in electronics primarily they'd be my choice to deal with. You'll be less likely to be disappointed in whatever you buy. Good luck!

• Like 1

I like Craigs list better then Ebay for the simple reason of not having to pay for shipping. So even if there is a problem with the unit you can get it fixed and still be ahead without shipping costs.

At least around here there is more than enough to choose from on craigs list.

Josh