Crossovers, driver timing with active vs passive?

JL Sargent

IGNORANCE is bliss! Kinda like the relationship between K55 and K77 drivers. According to my studies the K77 is about 1/2 a good tweeter and the K55 is just a so so mid driver. I have not listened to all the offerings out there but it does seem there are upgrades available and reasonably cheap.

Keep in mind that with Klipsch speakers, the value is in the engineering and less so in the hardware. The speakers are designed to sound good with the factory drivers, and substituting more expensive, theoretically better, drivers often sounds worse. This is particularly true in the case of the K-33 woofer.

The CT125 tweeters from Bob Crites are a definite upgrade (I have a pair in my La Scalas) and I've read good things about his woofers, which are designed to closely approximate original Klipsch woofer specs. Bob knows the speakers well enough to find drivers that will work well in them, but using drivers with different specs, even if they are higher-end than the basic Klipsch stuff, very often gives disappointing results.

Oh I think your right. Although I suspect the engineering is about economics as much as performance. Of course it has to be. Anyway I'm looking forward to playing with my own version of the Cornscala at the present. I really prefer the direct woofer. Im building with eminence tweeter (similar to Bobs) and woofer. Atlas driver on the mid and a midhorn thats about 1/2 way between the 400 and 700 in size. I'll admit that attempting to better the original components or speaker ideas is what I'm interested in. I have built several speakers in the past and they were good performers so I have some expectations for myself. From the sound of it you have upgraded some Klipsch engineering yourself.[:D]