Best Subwoofer for the job

Kiltman

I am putting together a HT in the basement, projector, 103" screen etc etc.

What do you suggest to use for a Sub for HT with the following:

L/R - Forte

Center - Academy (If I can get my hands on one)

Rears - Undecided but I am lacking space and may have to look at the ceiling

Some internet-only companies such as Hsu and SVS make great subs for the money. If you can find a pre-owned sub from them they're an even better deal. I spent $850 including shipping for my twin SVS CS-Ultras with the 1000 watt Samson amp. That package originally sold for $1999 plus shipping.

I would do a lot of research before you buy one and do it right the first time. Your speakers are incredibly efficient and you need a sub that's going to have enough output to keep up with them and not run out of steam at high volumes.

I got an RSW15 and its a beast..... but its far from the best.

The BEST covers a lot of territory and I dont think you can buy the BEST. The best would have to be built. The limitations of mass marketing, shipping costs, the flexibility to be used in 100's of different scenarios, and the need to be a commercial success, make it nearly impossible to buy the BEST.

The best, if that even remotely achievable can only be narrowed down by you and your specific requirements. Can you build with wood/fiberglass/concrete? Do you plan to stay in that house permanantly? Whats your budget?

You might want to consider a built in.......start with 1-15" sub and add as your budget and space allows. Depending on a lot more of your specifics , theres a million ways to answer your question.

To cleanly reproduce the lowest of audible frequencies takes an enormous amount of cone area and amplifier power if you are going to live with 'normal' to large sized boxes. On the other hand, if you can use an entire room / attic / garage as the enclosure for an infinate baffle subwoofer, you can get fantastic results with 4 15" drivers or multiple 15 or 18" units designed for IB usage.

Since the drivers are not really fighting against a stiff air cushion, the motors do not need to be large at all. This reduces cost compared to something like the TC LMS 5400 motor, since it weighs over 65 pounds for the magnetic assembly alone.

If the idea of a relatively less intrusive ( at least into the listening area ) sub system intrigues you, sign up at the cult of the infinately baffled and do some research. For about $ 2000 you can build a manifold to house 4 15-18" drivers, buy said drivers, power amp, measuring equipment etc.

Thanks to all for the inputs, I have been out of town so unable to reply till now.

So in the order they came in, my basement is 11ft wide by 18ft deep, 6ft 10" ceiling

Yes there is a WAF involved!

My budget is about $250-$300USD, new or used. SVS looks nice but too pricey for me. I'm not technical or competent enough to build one myself

Ideally I would like something that fits behind or better below my sofa.

So far I have an all Klipsch system but will switch brands if better match. Is the RPW10 any good?

My local dealer has suggested Yamaha YSTSW011B