it's Heresy World

colterphoto1

My good friend Roger is coming over today and we're going to play in the shop with Heresies.

I have KP201's on shelves up high in the shop, they need the metal grilles removed and flipped so the speakers can be placed upside down.

BEC CT125 tweeters and BEC updated E networks will be put into Heresy cabinet independently and given a good listen, I'll leave em the way I like best.

I have a single H with E2/K53, decorator walnut from 1977 that should be E/K55/K77 that will be used for the swapola. We'll echange some of my K77's until we get a good matched set unless I decide to leave the CT125.

I have a nice pair of H OO here also that I've never been inside, have to take a look under the hood of those. WHich pair (the 77's or HOO) should get the upgrades?

Any cabinet opened will be inventoried, back panel seal exposed (per GLA51 directive), and 1" foam installed. A check of all fasteners holding woofers and horns to baffle boards is also in the works. We'll also refresh any worn or detached grille velcro.

more fun in the shop today- the caffiene is in my brain [8-)]

I replaced all the piezos in a MTM cabinet and drew the schematic from the other one (one came with no network parts at all)

Replaced diaphragms in two K55V's for the MSM high horns. Have to disassemble and test the other 4 drivers now.

Made up some cables for testing stuff, you can never have enough of those.

Next up- a 4 channel drum mini-snake has some dead ends.

Am I sniffing too much lead?

Michael

ok, after we gave some various Heresy types a good listen, we decided to move on with more 12" woofer based cabinets (and a few others).

Can you name all 5 Klipsch speakers here? Hint- they're all PRO!

After we figure out what's what, Roger and I will give our thoughts on the sound properties of each.

Michael

post-10755-13819447369572_thumb.jpg

Well somebody needs to play so Michael will let Bill play so clueless people like me can find out what we're looking at.

I'll take a couple of WAGs.

2 - KP 262

5 - KP 302 or KP 301

Looking forward to finding out what these are and Michael's and Roger's thoughts....

Ben is one for two- #5 is indeed the KP301, it's the only 15" driver in the set, everyone else is a 12 if that helps. KP 262 would not have had rubber bumpers.

Doc, nope, but it is a speaker lying on it's side.

Hint: three of the boxes shown are not standard rectangular speaker cabinets.

Hint #2, the logo placards should help you with the type and age of the speaker.

Try again fellas.

yyeeaaaahh, my brother in Pro gets em all right.

It was a bit tricky on purpose. Roger and I tipped the KSM12 II monitor up on end (30/60/90 angles) and laid the KPT1201 pro cinema surround on it's side so all the motor boards would be parallel.

This was an out-growth of 'Heresy' listening evaluations because almost all of these were based on a 12" woofer and similar sized cabinet. We also listened to KP201's which are mounted on wall shelves up high in the workshop. In fact, we took those down, flipped the grilles, and then remounted the speakers upside down. This gets the woofer closer to the wall/ceiling junction for deeper bass and moves the horns away from the boundary for better direct/reflected %.

I'll let Rog give his thoughts on the listening sessions first. He even brought his snazzy new iPod (uber sleek) so we'd have some tunes he knows and loves for comparison. The results were surprising given our expectations.

M