I found a Marantz PM500...

justin_tx_16

I found a 150 watt Marantz PM500 stereo amplifier in my garage. I know Marantz makes great amps, but is this one of them? How much do you think it would cost now (it is not new? It is in mint condition! Do I have something here? I read that it was retail $1600-$4000... but the site that said this is not around anymore... just the summary from Yahoo!Search. anyone know anything about it?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

haha, nice try Smile.gif

seriously though, does anyone know anything about this amp? it seems nice, i might sell it if it is worth anything.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

bump

------------------

-justin

ok, thanks to John Warren i have much more,and more importantly, correct information and a pic of this amp.

PM500.jpg

here are the specs thanks to John...

Description 2.2KVA transformer, 4 21,000 uf filter caps

Rarity X-Rare

Retail Price 1200.00, October 1st 1974 Marantz Dealer List

First Year 1973

Last Year 1975

Matching Preamplifiers 3300

Blue Face Yes

Channels Two

Physical

Panel Width 19 (rack)

Panel Height 7 (rack)

Width 17 5/8

Height 7

Depth 16

Weight 78 lbs, 83 shipped

Amplifier

RMS Power Per Channel 250 @ 8 ohms, 500 @ 4 ohms

Damping Factor @ Load Impedance >400

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.1%

Power Bandwidth 20Hz to 20 KHz

Frequency Response 2 Hz to 100KHz at +/- 1.5 dB

Hum and Noise >106 dB below 250 watts

Signal to Noise Ratio 110 dB

Intermodulation Distortion (IM) 0.1%

Input Sensitivity for Full Output 2.25 volts

Gain Control(s) Yes

Output Meter(s) 2, precision moving coil, jeweled bearings

Cooling Fan(s) Yes

so, what do you think this is worth, any experience with it? i don't have any speakers at home that i think can handle this much power... i have some

Yamaha NS-6 speakers

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

and some Sony SS-U542AV 200 watt 8ohm speakers

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

that i could try with this amp... but would these speakers do justice to this amp?

oh yeah, sorry for the crappy speaker pics, cannot find my nice digital camera still.

thanks for the help!

------------------

-justin

it sure seems wierd that it is so hard to find it. i have not found a review or even a picture anywhere on the net, besides the one from John Smile.gif

i don't know if i will sell it, gonna try it out hopefully soon. amazing what you can find in your garage!

------------------

-justin

that one is the same one i have, except mine does not have the rack style, it is like a stand alone, no handles, woodgrain on the sides, if i remember right. i hooked it up to the NS-6's.... wow. i did not know they could sound so good! and loud, my goodness! i want to get some higher end speakers to try this amp out with. you said it went for $5 bills? what seems a trifle too low LoL! mine is the champange color, like the one above and in perfect, and i mean perfect, condition. you would think that after living in the house with it for 17 years i would have known we had such a thing, guess my dad was keeping it a secret haha, well, it is mine now! muhahhaha Smile.gif what are some decently priced speakers that could show off this amp? i am 17 and obviously don't have the cash for RF-7's or la scala's, so around $300 a pair (geez, i am cheap) what could i get?

------------------

-justin

Sounds like your Dad just gave you the first major piece of your first home system.

Try to find a new amp in that Catagory, Good luck.

(Hint:Spendy!)

Keep that amp, you won't go wrong. Just don't hook 500 speakers up to it, respect it's load capability.

Pull the cover and blow that thing out with some compressed air, it could be dusty inside the unit.

A happy circuit is a dirt free one.

You can use those speakers, but that amp probably can roach those poor speakers, but you will be fine, if you just respect the speaker's capabilities and don't push them.

Now all you have to do is save some money and get a pair of good used Klipsch speakers, (Classic, Heritage,huh?)

Look how many posters asked you if you want to get rid of that Marantz, that's gotta tell ya somethin'.

Keep it, that amp lasted 30 years, it has plenty of time for you to find some speakers for it.

You'll be the Klipsch King Justin, just be patient and take your sweet time.

Good Luck!

Just I know where to get a pair of Heresys in town here(Austin) for $290. You should REALLY look into those. That would be a great place to start and would be a great improvement over either the Sony or Yamaha speakers. With the other $200 left over from a $500 sale you could grab a pretty decent CD player. I was thinking about grabbing those Heresys and use them in my HT setup with my KG 4.2s but wouldn't be sure which to use as my mains and which for surrounds. Any suggestions guys. Still thinking about getting them for myself.

Eric

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

thanks for all the support Smile.gif i opened up the amp, barely ANY dust inside. i guess i should have explained what i found it in. ok, my dad was a videographer/photographer/studio dude Smile.gif he has BetaCam cameras that cost some pretty pennies and for them bought these aluminum case full of egg crate that was cut to fit to the camera. This amp was found in one of those cases that held it old film camera which is in another case i guess... anyways, it has been in there for, well, probably before i was born. it is air tight and has egg crate surrounding the amp, so there was nearly no way for anything bad to happen to it! i doubt it was ever used very much, i think he got it when he was moving to a new studio, bought this amp, packed it up and forgot about it.

the sony speakers comes from a 5.1 Sony speaker system that has a 5 disc changer, amp, receiver, does DD and prologic, has a (dual maybe?) 8 inch subsoofer that is ported (Frown.gif)... i think i paid about $1500-2500 for the whole system quite a few years ago. the NS-6's are in near mint condition too. everything i own i take religiously good care of Smile.gif i wonder how much i could get for the whole system...

those heresy's sound like a great deal, but my parents are still wondering why i have every ProMedia speaker system and if i got one more speaker, i might be sent to get a psycological analysis... haha. i will wait i think for that Biggrin.gif

the amp is really powerful, and great sounding, but i don't know what my NS-6's are rated at... any idea? i don't want to blow them cause they are pretty decent for now at least Smile.gif

thanks again!

i love this amp!!!!!!!!!!! (geez it is heavy)

------------------

-justin

Justin you have a great amp there! that unit was the very best marantz made in the mid-seventies...heavy as all get out...let me ring in as another guy who would buy it from you...ENJOY IT!

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs*Marantz 7T preamp*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)*MSB silver digital director (for switching and jitter reduction)*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck*SAE MK VIII tuner*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable*Monster M550i for all interconnects*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner

Sal,

Where have you been?

Can you give me your opinion of the upsampling board on the MSB DAC? As I remeber you have had yours for a while.

I put in an Audio Quest Coral interconnect between my Link and the preamp 2 weeks ago with very positive results.

I am still waffling about adding the upsampling board.

you can find some rf-3's in good condition (maybe even mint) for under $300. The high's might be too harsh with that amp, though. Try it out first.

study up on speaker placement and save up for a fully horn-loaded speaker or go to an all-cone set. I don't recommend the combination of horn and cone. No doubt people will disagree. Enjoy learning!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

hmmm... how about some BOSE Cubes? hehehe, just joking, those will never again enter my home Smile.gif

for now i am going to stick with the NS-6's will i get some money, then i plan on getting some heresy's or something. but what is the power input of the heresy... but that would not be cheap. maybe before i go to college, that leaves me 1.5 years, i will get some. that is my dream, to own some real klispch speakers, maybe the La Scala's or Khorns or Belles? Smile.gif but i think that the Heresy or the Heresy II would match this amp pretty well, what do you think?

------------------

-justin

Kick Arse news! We had a party for my dad's 41st birthday today. His friend from high school came over and wanted to talk to me about getting a new home theater system... he asks me if i have heard of Klipsch.... LoL! I was like, OMG! He has owned Klipsch since high school, infact, he has a set of Cornwalls that he is gonna lend me! He is getting a system put in of the new copper cone reference speakers. It is looking like it will be VERY nice. He used to have a 4 speaker cornwall system (oh yeah, he got these while in college) but had to sell two of them to pay tuition, he sold them for $350 back then.

Well, sometime this week i am going to pickthem up for a few days and try them with this amp. Actually, i think I will bring the amp to him cause it is kinda hard to move the cornwalls...

there will not be any conflicts here will there? is there enough power in this amp to do the cornwalls, etc? i don't want to harm his heritage speakers! I am a Klipsch Heritage virgin, this will be the first time for their presence to grace me! Smile.gif i am so excited!

------------------

-justin