I found a Marantz PM500...

justin_tx_16

Enough power? Indeed. Justin, you will have more than enough power. You will be ROLLING in power for those ole Cornwalls. You will just be hoping that first watt or two is the right kind of power!

Yeah, you'll be fine amount wise; that wont be anything you'll have to worry about. IT's ye olde quality not quantity when you are dealing with the Heritage.

HEll, I'm just wondering how you got to 4000 posts without noticing that there are loons in here running Cornwalls with 3.5 watts! HEh...

Well, you've happened into all sorts of great luck in the last week or so. Nothing like opening a box and seeing a great ole amp to have into; and now the CW! IF youre lucky, the guy will get all sentimental and pass them on to the next generation!

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

i knew it would not be long till you posted here homeless Smile.gif

i am going to help setup his RF series system. my audio luck HAS been great lately.

i have read of ppl running some heritage at like 35 watts, but just was not real sure if it could get loud with that. this amp should provide quality and quantity right?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

As that amp of yours evidently puts out 250w of 70s solid state power into 8ohms, I can say you will have a wee bit more power than needed. As for quality, well, I will just have to say you need to wait and see. Try it out. If you are standing there with the owner of said Cornwalls, 5 watts of power might bring you to the volume control, rushing to turn it down.

Personally, I happen to prefer tube amplification and have found very low watts to perform very well with the Cornwalls. But they have to be very high quality watts. I have not had as good a luck with solid state in general, but the only way to find out is to hook the beast up and see what you prefer. You will be barely cracking the 3-5w mode unless you really start gettin' a bit crazy, and by that time, the CW owner might be running for cover, depending.

The Cornwall can sound rather peircing with the wrong solid state amps...but as I said, you have to just try it out. You have the amp. And you gots the speaker access, so you are one up on many ebay buyers shooting in the dark.

Give it a try. Let the ole Marantz warm up for awhile before making too many judgments. Sadly, it is quite hard to listen to music in some old loons house with him standing there with eyes like softballs. Tell him to stop lollygaggin' around and let you do some "real" listening while he is preferably in the next county.

For your parents sake, I just hope you dont get hooked on those ole Cornwalls. Your poor DAd might want to move out of state after a few days with that 250w Marantz running Moqwai through those 98-100dB Cornwalls!

kh

ps- I listened to Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy" via my 3.5w 2A3 monoblocks and CW this eve after watching a bit of the USA vs Russia hockey game. Volume was my friend, much to the horror of the weekend renters below; they were not amused.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-17-2002 at 05:21 AM

once again, thank you for your informative posts mobile Smile.gif

however, i think the cornwall owner will be turning down teh volume be for me LoL! i saw some Zen amps today and thought of you haha.

Can you explain to me, a highend novice, the differences, besides the obviously apparent, between a tube amp and solid state?

yes, these get loud, i don't doubt that. but just how loud do they get? like, in dB and what not. they are hopefully not easily blown right?

also, looking at some pics of them, they look, dare i say, basic. Smile.gif what is it about them that make them, as well as the rest of the heritage series, sound so amazing? seems to go against what many 'audiophiles' say having a large woofer and then a horn tweeter, or am i missing something? LoL! i have never seen any heritage stuff in person, so this is really pretty new to me.

if i get heresys or cornwalls, I might be run out into the next county LoL!

thanks again mobile!

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Mobile,

I think we either we need to get that "Klipsch and Tubes" section up and running, or at the very least a FAQ section. Question #1 will be the benefits of pairing vintage Klipsch with tube amps. Otherwise, my friend, your typing fingers are going to get very sore answering the same question over, and over, and over...

A tube wanabee,

Colin (aka Chickey)

------------------

My System

Justin, Archive this Forum.

Study those posts check out the links.

Since your working on 5000 posts, you might as well graduate to up here.

Shouldn't they give a guy a T-shirt for this?

The trip with High efficiency Loudspeakers is that they are louder with less wattage.

The drivers have a higher sensitivity rating, horns

are classic examples.

They are more Dynamic, they pick up whatever little anomalies in sound or noises and reproduce it.

Cornwalls are 98 decibel sensitivity, they take 1 watt at one meter(This could be a wrong measure)to produce

98 decibels.

That means if you take that Marantz on the volume to more than about 8, 9 o'clock(Depends on the amp)your parents will be chapped.

So this means that those Cornwalls only need the first few watts on the Marantz to be LOUD.

This is where the quality thing comes in.

Just how clean is the quality of that amp at the first few watts, thats what you need to find out.

I have pair of Chorus II's with a 440 watt Yamaha, top of the line for Yamaha nowdays(The older stuff prior to HT was better), I barely even push this amp, It's way overkill.

These speaker's are rated at 101 decibels, I don't know what measurement they go by either.

They are dynamic, and very dependent on the recorded material and the source itself.

(Keep that in mind, when you give the Cornwalls a listen.)

Although I am very happy with what I got, soundwise at the moment, and the Yamaha has the Traditional put you to sleep Transparency, which I don't mind.

But there is this nasty little thing about Transistor amps called 3rd Harmonics, that Grainy distortion in Solid State that high efficiency loudspeakers do oh so well.

You will see this as you lurk through these boards.

There is a lot of lower power solid state designs that work well with HE loudspeaker, however.

I hope this helps.

quote:

I hope this helps

that, is does.

ok, so wattage wise, i am just fine. it of course has only analog input so i will use i guess whatever he has for input or maybe the stereo out from my DVP-NS400D or NS700P, both have very nice sound for dvd's.

i am going to do this tuesday morning, no school til like 1, thank goodness i tested out of the TAAS! so i will be there for most of the morning till about 12:30. I can barely stand the wait!

thanks again!

------------------

-justin

Justin,

Like Mike-I also have an older Yamaha solid state amplifier-Yamaha M85 260 watts per channel and I don't know what type of music you listen to (please don't say NSync)but if its anything modern or new age you will be blown out of the room with anything past 50 watts.

These speakers are very sensitive and don't require mega power but I don't think you'll do any damage to them with that Marantz.I had a free night tonite away from the wife and put on the new Statix X and was running about 150 watts through said Cornwalls (in another room by the way so I don't wanna hear it about hearing damage guys!)lucky my neighbors like me.

Another thing there Justin is I would get them set up over your house if at all possible for two reasons...

1.To get to hear them in your enviroment-to see what they really sound like and to live with them for a couple days.

and...

2.Once the owner sees how much room he has without these mondo speakers dominating his living room he'll probably give you them for a song.

Jeff

PS: if you still don't like that Marantz after all is said and done I would still like to buy it from you.

quote:

Originally posted by fini:

Last summer I found a dead opossum in
my
garage. Although I haven't hooked it up to my Cornwalls yet, I'd say you made out better than I did.

fini

i don't know, those make great wall ornaments....

LMAO! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

well, took a listen and wow! they sound amazing with that amp, or does the amp sound amazing with the cornwalls? either way it was a great 1 hour experience. it seems like the amp needed to be 'reburned' in... is this normal, not being used for a VERY long time, it may have not ever been broken in... well, it sounds great and i plan to look at some heresys when i graduate in 2003. gotta start saving for them now Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

• 17 years later...
On 2/13/2002 at 2:14 PM, justin_tx_16 said:

I found a 150 watt Marantz PM500 stereo amplifier in my garage. I know Marantz makes great amps, but is this one of them? How much do you think it would cost now (it is not new? It is in mint condition! Do I have something here? I read that it was retail $1600-$4000... but the site that said this is not around anymore... just the summary from Yahoo!Search. anyone know anything about it?

------------------

-justin

This Amp was part of the mainstream at best mediocre amps. If it is the PM 500 it is not one that I would hang on to. I fixed these through the 80s and they were pretty much throw aways and problematic. sort of the beginning of a bad phase in the company history. If you find someone with not to much knowledge  they may buy it thinking it is a classic great amp but not so. It is not the 500 series that people love it is a cheap department store amp manufactured by gold star I believe but can't remember for sure. Sorry