McIntosh MC-30 value?

philipbarrett

Value with all vintage gear is always about cosmetic condition, cosmetic condition, cosmetic condition.... After 50+ years they always need a complete over haul if being place in every day service. IMHO your always better off buying them in original electrical condition unless they have been gone over by a KNOWN quality technician. Paying a premium for some DIY'ers or "local technicains" work almost always turn out to be a waste. It usually means they have had a few band-aids applied to keep them running for the time being.

Craig

Well I don't think someone can pick up a nice condition pair for $1100...and I do not think Terry would charge $1400 to rebuild them.... If he does then I'm going to double and then some my rates.....

I just finished a pair this afternoon using Sonicap platinum Teflon signal path caps which cost about $550 for the pair of amps and the bill still wasn't that much....

MC-30's in nice condition go for a heck of allot more then $1100.....

About the only thing you can't get are the output transformers. I think only one place will rewind your old ones if they are fried. Their design is one of the things that makes the Macs so special.

Dflip... those old boards are so funky looking. Craig's parts look a lot better on those for sure.

You probably don't charge enough, Craig.

If memory serves me, I sold a pair for about $2,800. They had been gone through by Terry (prior to my purchase) and I was told by the seller that they were pristine. Upon talking to Terry myself, he remembered them and said they were indeed, among some of the most pristine he had seen, so I bought them sight unseen and had them hand delivered from Richmond Virginia to my home (no shipping!)

They were gorgeous. I took them to the Klipsch gathering in Hope so others also got a chance to see them. I'd agree that the cosmetics would be the driving force. Any of the internals can be fixed but like a rusted out car, it's just not as easy to fix rust once it starts.

Did you get these?

I concur with much that's been said here. Those amps look every bit worth the $1100 as source units, probably best that they be rebuilt. Craig is "Mr. Tailor Made" when it comes to rebuilding tube amps for your demanding Klipsch....he's handled two pairs of my MC-30s and they sound excellent, and he charges too little[H]. If you have questions on any of this, feel free to PM/email, I've heard many builds on MC-30s as well as tube complements (see my MC-30 related posts), excepting for the 350B outputs and esoteric rectifiers.

Really nice pairs can draw 2500-3000 quite readily, I've seen "marginal" pairs go for $1600. These look much better than "marginal", although $$ will be necessary to get them rebuilt. Definitely worth the trouble, but am admittedly biased as I do own and love two sets of these (using two different parts packages).

Well I don't think someone can pick up a nice condition pair for $1100...and I do not think Terry would charge $1400 to rebuild them.... If he does then I'm going to double and then some my rates.....

I just finished a pair this afternoon using Sonicap platinum Teflon signal path caps which cost about $550 for the pair of amps and the bill still wasn't that much....

MC-30's in nice condition go for a heck of allot more then $1100.....

I understand but I was just asking since he would be able to go and see for himself the condition and from the pictures it doesn't look to be a lot of rust. Once again only going by the pictures from the post.

Now I know you and Terry do fantastic work, for everyone here on the site talking about the two of you, so I didn't mean to step on anyones toes. I just thought that if you can get a nice set in these times, meaning everyone selling things a lot cheaper then normal, why not.

James

Yes, Craig is NOSValves.

However, unless you had a gentlemen's agreement with the seller that you would have time to think about it, I would doubt they would still be there at that price. This is one of those "significantly undervalued" offers (if the pic is any indication) that doesn't normally take long to sell. If you are serious about this I wouldn't waste any time getting them into your possession. And yes, you could always "flip" them if you decide differently later.